The Killing (Justin) Fields

notthatbluestuff

As long as the Bears keep hitting their non-QB draft picks, they'll still be in position to get Williams/Maye/etc because of two first round picks from themselves (bad team) and Carolina (bad team) and put him in an insulated environment.

Whether you trust the first part of the statement is the big issue here.

Honestly...this Fields coaching staff thing kind of feels toxic. I don't know that it's going to work. 

If they want to go with a QB in this draft (and I feel like that is pretty likely), I don't think that they can keep the staff. It's crappy timing more than anything, but you just gone done forcing a staff to inherit a top pick at QB made by another regime, and this coaching staff isn't going to have a long rope after another horrific season. I see no reason to replay this same song and dance where you keep them around another year and allow them to draft a QB, only to fire them after that QBs rookie season and then force him on to another staff the following year. 

Feel like you just blow this up entirely and reset after the year is over. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly...this Fields coaching staff thing kind of feels toxic. I don't know that it's going to work. 

If they want to go with a QB in this draft (and I feel like that is pretty likely), I don't think that they can keep the staff. It's crappy timing more than anything, but you just gone done forcing a staff to inherit a top pick at QB made by another regime, and this coaching staff isn't going to have a long rope after another horrific season. I see no reason to replay this same song and dance where you keep them around another year and allow them to draft a QB, only to fire them after that QBs rookie season and then force him on to another staff the following year. 

Yeah based on how this whole Alan Williams situation on the defensive side of the ball, hard to believe that Ebeflus gets another shot.  I initially thought OC was likely the only fall guy (and whoever new OC decides to fire on the offensive staff), but things are clearly falling apart.  I'd still be pretty shocked if they fired Ryan Poles, but if things keep going further south, maybe he's out too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

14 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Yeah based on how this whole Alan Williams situation on the defensive side of the ball, hard to believe that Ebeflus gets another shot.  I initially thought OC was likely the only fall guy (and whoever new OC decides to fire on the offensive staff), but things are clearly falling apart.  I'd still be pretty shocked if they fired Ryan Poles, but if things keep going further south, maybe he's out too.

You always have to sync up GM/HC/QB timings or else.. this happens.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jeezla said:

What would Fields fetch in a trade if Bears decided to go with Bagent/Peterman before the deadline, and fully embrace the Tank? Same as Trey lance?

This is a really interesting question. Is there a team that would trade for him? Trade deadline deals are normally for players that would help a team that is in the hunt. Is there a team that would be in the hunt that would be in need of an underwhelming QB with upside running the ball? I can't really see it. Patriots maybe? That's the only team I can think of right now.

And would Poles do that? I think he may. He came onboard with a 'blow it up' mentality. Fields wasn't his QB. You have to clean up the coaching staff too though. At the very least, Getsy has got to go. And if you ultimately decide to make him the scapegoat, Poles is tying himself to Eberflus and he probably doesn't get to make another HC hire if this one ultimately doesn't work out.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steelersfan43 said:

Poles deserves to be in the hot seat too. Trading Roquan Smith (and not offering him a big contract to Smith but giving a big contract to an inferior ILB to Smith in Edmunds) and after trading your own second round pick to Claypool which was not productive since 2021 was very bad

Not making excuses for Claypool, but I do think if we had competent playcalling and/or QB play the Claypool trade would at least be slightly less offensive, but the Smith situation is not a negative for Poles. Roquon was NOT going to resign with Chicago.  There was literally no chance.  He did not like it here (also is a bit crazy), and he really wasn't that great of a scheme fit.  They managed to get a pick out of trading him and get 2 LBs for the same money that were better scheme fits than Smith.  

Edited by TankWilliams

12 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Not making excuses for Claypool, but I do think if we had competent playcalling and/or QB play the Claypool trade would at least be slightly less offensive, but the Smith situation is not a negative for Poles. Roquon was NOT going to resign with Chicago.  There was literally no chance.  He did not like it here (also is a bit crazy), and he really wasn't that great of a scheme fit.  They managed to get a pick out of trading him and get 2 LBs for the same money that were better scheme fits than Smith.  

Not directed at you personally, but one would have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to be convinced Roquan Smith doesn't fit any scheme. Ballers, ball and Roquan is a certified baller. 

• Like 2