Week 4: Detroit Lions (2-1) at Green Bay Packers (2-1)

Old Guy

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

Injury is the only realistic reason that Williams would not go #1 overall.  Note that this is different from saying Williams is the best prospect.  I am sure there are scouts who genuinely believe that he isn't.  There always are.

Wonder what his S2 cog will be. Critical data.

22 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Injury is the only realistic reason that Williams would not go #1 overall.  Note that this is different from saying Williams is the best prospect.  I am sure there are scouts who genuinely believe that he isn't.  There always are.

This is me being curious more than trying to say you're wrong, because I don't really follow the draft process until the season is over, so I could be wrong. But I seem to recall Darnold also being the surefire #1 early in his last season, and by the time the draft rolled around it wasn't so clear. So I guess what I'm asking is, don't draft projections shift quite a bit from September-October until April?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Both Jones and Montgomery were limited in practices and listed as questionable going into Thursday. 

Jones gets very limited usage on a snap count while Montgomery gets 32 carries.

Striking difference in how injured players are utilized.

If Jones had gotten 32 carries, he would've died.

(Yes, I know you're not advocating for him to get 32 carries, just pointing out why one got 32 ha)

3 hours ago, 15412 said:

What's to say the '25 draft will change their perception?  I'm not sure he's the best player in this coming draft, he very well may be NOT the best QB prospect.  Maybe not even 2nd.

Skip Bayless just agreed with you so you can at least stick that feather in your cap. 

22 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If Jones had gotten 32 carries, he would've died.

(Yes, I know you're not advocating for him to get 32 carries, just pointing out why one got 32 ha)

Yeah  jones cant handle 30+ carries.  He needs to be in the 15-20 range with 5-8 targets in passing game.

Feels like Jones was a decoy in the game plan to avoid an aggravation to his injury situation.   Doesn’t make muuch sense to me to go that route.

On 9/29/2023 at 3:48 PM, PACKRULE said:

is the sky still falling i came on last night and sheesh, fire this guy, cut that guy fire them all crap amazing that fans are still so uneducated in regards to the team and game they love.

those who thought there was no rebuild were joking themselves. Farver started with a bad team that had to grow and AR did too. 6-10 his first year.

We do have a talented lot on the D side of the ball but one of the worst coordinators is leading them. He is what he is and maybe out talent is not as good as we thought but it sure seems legit at times. 

So after a tough loss from a 20 year historically bad team it is what most thought it would be. Up and down all year. Look for the glimmers and there were lots. Reed, Doubs and heck even Watson looked good so far. 

Love makes some nice throws he really does, he gets drops, and pressure and has allot to learn. But he spins it nice, can snap it out at many angles and has good feet. 

this is a year to learn and grow. Hope for good wins and good losses as well. That's what we need to see this year and if you want to fire MLF and Gute you should read much much more and post much much less.  

Man I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Last year it felt like everyone was ready for the post Rodgers slump, and now everyone is convinced the coaching stinks because they can't win with 30% of the salary cap on IR/another roster and a QB who's making his 5th start.

I'm in full blow R-E-L-A-X mode:

-Love makes some big throws and misses a few things. 

-WRs are getting open a lot, and they're all under control for another few years.

-The defense gets pressure. We have another top 40 pick coming next offseason, and the dead cap hits start shrinking.

I'd argue we're in a rebuild that's right on track, it just takes time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

This is me being curious more than trying to say you're wrong, because I don't really follow the draft process until the season is over, so I could be wrong. But I seem to recall Darnold also being the surefire #1 early in his last season, and by the time the draft rolled around it wasn't so clear. So I guess what I'm asking is, don't draft projections shift quite a bit from September-October until April?

That is certainly true as a general statement.  While I can't say it's impossible for Williams to play himself out of the #1 pick, right now I'd label it as very, very unlikely.  I think a better comp would probably be Lawrence in terms of how much of a lock they were considered to be for the next #1 pick. If memory serves, it does seem like I remember Lawrence's stock slipping some during his final season at Clemson.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, squire12 said:

Both Jones and Montgomery were limited in practices and listed as questionable going into Thursday. 

Jones gets very limited usage on a snap count while Montgomery gets 32 carries.

Striking difference in how injured players are utilized.

The Lions sadly have developed a very tough, rugged team mindset, similar to the Niners' style of play. That will always and continue to be an Achilles heel for LaFleur and his style of play. Physical teams just beat that hell out of us, especially on the LOS. 

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The Lions sadly have developed a very tough, rugged team mindset, similar to the Niners' style of play. That will always and continue to be an Achilles heel for LaFleur and his style of play. Physical teams just beat that hell out of us, especially on the LOS. 

MLF seems to believe that strategy wins games. Campbell and some others say, meh, We don't care so much about strategy. We're just going to beat the living s*** out of you. If you win, good for you, but we don't think you will.

Two different philosophies. So far, from what I've observed, the toughness approach seems to prevail most often against the strategy approach. Could MLF change? Doubtful. First off, he really believes in the superior strategy approach. Second he doesn't have the personality for the tougher than you approach. I thought he was holding back tears when he was interviewed coming out for the second half against Detroit. He should have been steaming, red-hot mad.