Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler are a problem - What should Mark do?

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Leaks such as?

This isn't even a top 3 worst for the Raiders alone, let alone the league. While a bad hire, it doesn't even register to what happened in Jacksonville with Urban Myer, Denver with Hackett of recent memory. Then going back, Hue Jackson, Saban, Petrino, Rhule from the college ranks. Marinelli got 3 years, finished the last 0-16. 

Similar to Denver (and Jacksonville with Urb), my guess is there will be a lot more chatter about the dysfunction once he's out of the picture. While he's around, guys will mostly stay quiet, speak anonymously, or even play the good soldier. 

With how he's thrown guys under the bus after putting people in bad spots, made horrendous decisions, etc- I find it increasingly difficult to believe he's anywhere near as well liked by most of the players outside of maybe some former Pats guys. 

As for the other coaches, go back and re-read my post. I'd tell NYRaider to as well, but he can't read. 

Yes, there have been some people who flopped in their first NFL HC gigs- Hackett being a good recent example. In his defense, nearly everyone was immediately blaming him for the Broncos woes- it couldn't be Russell Wilson after all. They're still dysfunctional and it goes far beyond Hackett. That said, he didn't do a good job either and probably isn't HC material. But he was an UNKNOWN. 

The college crew? All were UNKNOWN at the NFL level. They weren't hired with the expectation of flaming out and aside from the usual "college to the NFL is a big leap" trope, there wasn't any immediate reason to think they'd fail. 

Josh McDaniels was KNOWN (at least to those who, you know, didn't drink the kool-aid while ignoring his track record). That, to me, makes it worse than the typical dud hire. Dragged along by Brady, embarrassing failure in Denver, horrid in St Louis, serious questions outside of Brady on the offensive side of ball, cheating scandal, dishonesty, big ego, lack of accountability, always some sort of drama with players, a losing record, the list goes on and on with this guy. And anyone not buying the hooplah of 20 years of Tom could, or should, have seen it from a mile away. 

Hiring him was like hiring Matt Rhule now. Hiring him was like giving Urb a second chance. Actually, given the Colts fiasco, it would be like giving Hue a 3rd chance to not be a total moron. 

It's not Josh's first rodeo like most of the names thrown out there. It's his second, and he's still God awful. There was no particularly good reason to believe he wasn't going to fail hard again. It wasn't a bad roll of the dice like Rhule or Saban or Petrino or Urb or Hackett, it was sitting down at the poker table and going all in on blackjack. Nobody should have reasonably thought it would work unless they drank the kool-aid and went out of the way to handwave his history and all context away. 

If we hired, I don't know, Chris Petersen to come coach and it blew up horrendously, I could accept that. No hire is a guaranteed success. But Josh McDaniels was about as close as one could possibly be to a guaranteed failure. 

29 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Apparently Harbaugh is being investigated by the NCAA for stealing opponent's signs and Michigan has paused discussions on a new contract for him. Could this be the year that he makes the jump back to the NFL?

Yeah I could see a Pete Carrol like transition back into the league. Mark really should have targeted him after he fired Allen. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Look at my me vs ziegler / mayock posts, we would have the greatest dynasty in pro sports history

I was joking kiddo, I don’t doubt at all you’d have a much, much better squad than our multiple front offices have, though we’d still have Jimmy G at QB maybe? 😀

To be fair, I think a number of us would have pretty great rosters. 

I’d have a receiving core of Ceedee Lamb, DK Metcalf, Renfrow and Calvin Austin with Mayer at TE.

My tackles would be Orlando Brown, Spencer Brown and Dawand Jones.

My DLine would be TJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Andrew Billings, Montez Sweat and Jaelen Phillips.

My DBs would be Jaylon Johnson, Christian Gonzalez and Amik with Derwin James, Kirby Joseph and Moehrig at safety for example. 

That seems pretty good to me 😀

I think Ncoughman had a great few drafts too. Maybe there’s a topic there somewhere where we all note down what we’d have drafted instead of our FO.

What would you have? Genuinely curious 🍺

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Apparently Harbaugh is being investigated by the NCAA for stealing opponent's signs and Michigan has paused discussions on a new contract for him. Could this be the year that he makes the jump back to the NFL?

The stars are aligning………

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

The stars are aligning………

Michigan about to get some heavy sanctions. I can’t remember but I thought the NFL was gonna fine + suspend coaches who leave programs burning with NCAA sanctions to take NFL jobs?

Or was it players who had been suspended for off field infractions?

We aren’t firing McDaniels mid year.  anonymous text from Raiders player sent to Hondo 

“F— that,” the player said on the idea of firing McDaniels. 

“I think everybody is frustrated. We share that frustration, but I can’t think of one of us that really wants to see the coach fired in the middle of the season. Just give up on the year? Who does that? Who quits? That doesn’t make any sense to me. Frustrated? You better believe it. Wonder about some stuff? Of course. Want a guy fired? Lost our locker room? Give me a f—ing break.”

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Valid. I never thought about it this way.

Thank you.  Plus there’s no salary cap for coaches.  Mark can certainly afford to accept his mistake and fire JMD and pay him his $20M.

if we’re drafting a QB of the future would you want to stint his development under JMD and waste another season with 225M in payroll just on players or spend an extra 20M and get a good HC?  Seems like an obvious choice to me 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

We aren’t firing McDaniels mid year.  anonymous text from Raiders player sent to Hondo 

“F— that,” the player said on the idea of firing McDaniels. 

“I think everybody is frustrated. We share that frustration, but I can’t think of one of us that really wants to see the coach fired in the middle of the season. Just give up on the year? Who does that? Who quits? That doesn’t make any sense to me. Frustrated? You better believe it. Wonder about some stuff? Of course. Want a guy fired? Lost our locker room? Give me a f—ing break.”

• Like 1