Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler are a problem - What should Mark do?

RaidersAreOne

dsawwhnsfd6nyn7kgrgb.jpg

A2F52FA8-4795-455A-A7DE-FB6A24DCE64B.jpe

Raider Nation's pitchforks are fully out. After an extremely underwhelming year 1, a lacklustre off-season and a horrid start to year two, the wheels are starting to fall off for our Raiders.

The majority of Raider fans either initially hated the hiring of Josh McDaniels, with some (myself included) not thrilled but tried remaining semi-optimistic. His embarrassing track record as a HC was well documented, with a laughable exit in Denver and the Indianapolis disaster. His offensive "genius" mind was supposed to vault our team in the right direction. Did he learn from his previous mistakes as HC? Has he grown up and can actually functionally lead an NFL locker room? Can he prove to not be another Bill B coaching tree failure? Will he have much say on the roster like he did in Denver, where he was god awful at roster management? So many questions loomed.

Ziegler I feel like most were a lot more comfortable with, knowing these two would be a packaged deal. By most accounts Ziegler was always going to become a GM someday so this was far less scrutinized. Analysts seemed to think he would make a solid GM and it was just a matter of time until he got the reigns of an NFL team. Can this ex-drama teacher turn around this once elite franchise? Will Davis give him a long enough leash, not caring what money he spends/ships out? Will McDaniels actually be the one calling the shots, not letting Dave truly do his own thing? With only a short stint as the Pats "General Manager", did he have enough experience in that sheltered role (Bill B was obviously the main man) to take on full-time GM of a completely different team/city/culture/history? Similarly, so many questions.

Fast forward to today. Year one was a total mess, finishing 6-11 after spending an ample amount of $ and picks addressing both sides. In 2023 we are sitting at 1-2. We barely beat a Broncos team that just got the biggest *** whooping in NFL history. We got slaughtered by the Bills. And lost to a truly pathetic team in Pittsburgh on primetime.

Our O looks putrid somehow, with NFL WR1 balling but our passing game in general looking brutal. The 2022 league leading rusher has 108 yards and 0 TDs in THREE games. (2.4 YPC), our highly coveted rookie TE has 2 catches. Renfrow has been completely exiled. Our O-line has completely regressed run blocking wise, and was totally exposed last night in pass-pro.

Our D continues to be a glaring weakness. The same issues we have struggled with since the early 2000s remain the same. No pass rush, no discipline, no playmakers, lack of consistency. We have a stud in Crosby, some solid starters in Hobbs/Deablo, then a bunch of JAGs/busts/journeymen vets. How can we possibly continue to completely ignore our interior pass rush and LB play? We haven't sunk any serious assets into those positions for what, since PJ Hall in 2018 or McClain in 2010? We are relying on a raw rookie in Bennett and old-man Peters to hold down our outside CB... in a division with two of today's best QBs in Mahomes and Herbert. What did they expect to happen?

Most know I try to air on the side of optimism while keeping a level head. I don't quickly jump on the hype train and won't jump off a roof when we lose. However I think I have seen enough from our HC to know this relationship is not going to last. I always thought Davis was going to give McZ 2-3 years to fully install their identity and have a couple off seasons to turn the roster around. However I now fully support a change in the near future.

Where are you at with the current state of the Raiders? What do you envision/hope happens to McDaniels and Ziegler?

Edited by RaidersAreOne
  • Like 5

Praying someone on this forum wins the lottery and is able to buy a % of the team from Mark. 

No doubt the consensus decisions from this forum, would outdo everything we’ve done in the last 20 years. 

unbelievable statement to make, but unfortunately i truly believe it.  

-
In all seriousness, Mark needs to stop going for the home run / Hail Mary hire. 
Burn it down, and build it up properly. 

2 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Keep Zeigler. Get rid of McDaniels mid season. That won't happen. Davis will wait until seasons end and give Zeigler one last chance to build up the roster with a new franchise QB prospect and new coach. 

Ziegler sucks. Look at his draft and free agency. Clean house. Don’t let them con the organization again. “Let us get time to develop a first round QB”. We don’t need the gm and head coach to be Buddy Buddy. We need a GM who holds the coach responsible and had a working relationship. Not just a yes man 

Edited by Humble_Beast

Mark Davis should decide whether he still really believes in JMD and Ziegler?

Whether he will let them choose the next QB in this upcoming QB loaded draft?

If the answer is no, which should be, then he has to think about how can the team get the best draft position?!

Fire the coach mid season or keep the coach, who lost (will loose soon) the locker room?

Act in the best interest of the team and it's future at this point IMO...

4 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Keep Zeigler. Get rid of McDaniels mid season. That won't happen. Davis will wait until seasons end and give Zeigler one last chance to build up the roster with a new franchise QB prospect and new coach. 

Can't really see this, since they were a pair hire.

They will get another year together or they will get fired together IMO.

1 minute ago, Humble_Beast said:

We don’t need the gm and head coach to be Buddy Buddy. We need a GM who holds the coach responsible and had a working relationship. Not just a yes man 

I think our last couple rounds of GM/HC were doomed to fail from the start because our Head Coach seemingly had more pull than the GM. I think that is absolutely the wrong way for an NFL team to function (In most cases). Sure the HOF level coaches have earned that pull like Bill, Andy, etc... but Gruden and McDaniels? Absolutely not.

18 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I’d fire McDaniels today just for that field goal call. I can’t imagine he has the team support anymore. 

As bad as Jimmy played, you have to let the offense go out on their shield

About to find out. They either get boat raced by the Chargers or they punch back. Next weeks game could be the straw that breaks the camels back. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

About to find out. They either get boat raced by the Chargers or they punch back. Next weeks game could be the straw that breaks the camels back. 

How do you feel about this all? I feel like you are the last soldier standing for McZ these days. I was right there with you for a while trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but man yesterday broke me.

• Like 3

Just now, big_palooka said:

I remember during the last two years of Gruden I would tell my son we always had a puncher's chance.  Especially once we beat KC by more than a TD.  Now we look like we (collectively as a team) have limp wrists and a glass jaw.  It's like watching Mike Tyson beat up a paraplegic.  I don't want to watch it anymore.  I literally have to turn games off after some of our plays.  We don't punch back.  We punch once (first drive of the game), and then get beat like unwanted children in a crack house.

As bas as it is for us, coaches will start to be fearful of coming here if we get into this pattern of firing them too soon. If Davis waits until the end of the year (this year's a wash anyway) then at least we save face and say without a shadow of the doubt we gave our HC a long rope to get his job done. I can't argue with that approach.  

My gut wants McDaniels gone if we lose the next 2 games though. 

• Like 3