Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler are a problem - What should Mark do?

RaidersAreOne

26 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

26 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Mark is paper rich, but my understanding is he's not cash rich to the extent of other owners. He didn't buy the team, he inherited it. The Davis family doesn't have other major revenue streams outside of the NFL like the Waltons, Jerry Jones, Paul Allen, Khan, and all these other billionaires. He doesn't get any money from the value of the franchise booming until he sells stake. Granted, he has sold some, but his net worth is mainly on paper otherwise.

Secondary ticket sales being booming doesn't give him anything extra. Season ticket prices are the highest in the league (PSL owner here) but it's only been a few years of that stream especially with Covid year.

And yes paying McDaniel would be in addition to whatever portion we are paying Gruden. Now you bring on another coach at another inflated salary. And cash on hand is a covenant that comes into play with ownership, it's required. It should be mitigated to a degree with the way the franchise has gone financially, but it's more of a factor for us than any other team. Not saying he definitely won't fire McDaniel early, but it would take a disaster year is my opinion. We are not there yet, even though we are all fresh off of a bad loss.

Edited by justwinbaby81

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

About to find out. They either get boat raced by the Chargers or they punch back. Next weeks game could be the straw that breaks the camels back. 

I don’t know if it’s physically possible, Jimmy G his arm is so weak he’s throwing softballs and getting people killed.

• Like 1

I was pretty down on the team after last year, and I am still down on the team, but I'm conservative when it comes to moving on from coaches early. McDaniels and Ziegler only have 4-year contracts, and we have seen good things from the offense since last season (i.e. scoring and yardage). I think Ziegler's drafts have been decent and a substantial step up from Gruden/Mayock. I am willing to run out the clock on McDaniels/Ziegler through 2025 unless things go really off the rails before then. But, if I am Mark Davis, I am not letting McDaniels/Zeigler strip the team down and try to re-build midway through their deals--they do not have the time for that.

21 minutes ago, justwinbaby81 said:

Mark is paper rich, but my understanding is he's not cash rich to the extent of other owners. He didn't buy the team, he inherited it. The Davis family doesn't have other major revenue streams outside of the NFL like the Waltons, Jerry Jones, Paul Allen, Khan, and all these other billionaires. He doesn't get any money from the value of the franchise booming until he sells stake. Granted, he has sold some, but his net worth is mainly on paper otherwise.

Secondary ticket sales being booming doesn't give him anything extra. Season ticket prices are the highest in the league (PSL owner here) but it's only been a few years of that stream especially with Covid year.

And yes paying McDaniel would be in addition to whatever portion we are paying Gruden. Now you bring on another coach at another inflated salary. And cash on hand is a covenant that comes into play with ownership, it's required. It should be mitigated to a degree with the way the franchise has gone financially, but it's more of a factor for us than any other team. Not saying he definitely won't fire McDaniel early, but it would take a disaster year is my opinion. We are not there yet, even though we are all fresh off of a bad loss.

I’m pretty sure he has some kind of insurance to cover the firing of HC/GM.

4 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I don’t know if it’s physically possible, Jimmy G his arm is so weak he’s throwing softballs and getting people killed.

He also seems unsure in the pocket not a good recipe. Lack of run game be it a combo of bad blocking stacking the line definitely isn’t helping . Jacobs rusty etc

49 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

Do we want Zeigler though? His selection of players through draft and free agency has left a lot to be desired.

I try and be optimistic about the coaches and give them a fair chance even when I don't want to, but If we move on from McDaniels, then Ziegler needs to go too. 

I mean, my general philosophy is a GM needs more time to be properly evaluated. Coaches you can tell in 2 years how well they are doing, but it takes 3-4 years to see improvement in franchise contract values as it takes 2-3 years to jetison the contracts you dont like, player development, front office competence, etc.  So I'd be ok if we kept him 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

How do you feel about this all? I feel like you are the last soldier standing for McZ these days. I was right there with you for a while trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, but man yesterday broke me.

It's week 3, so trying not to be a prisoner of the moment. Important football is won in Nov and Dec. That said, nothing is looking positive right now. And the egregious coaching errors are hard to ignore. And teams are typically a reflection of their coach. And we're seeing a listless group. There is no urgency in anything they are doing in all 3 phases. 

I said I judge them on adding Jimmy G and that they'd have to own that decision. Unless he turns a corner, which looks bleak, this is looking like major miscalculation. 

You added a guy familiar with your offense to take care of the ball and manage the game. Instead, he's out here throwing soft ball interceptions and putting the team in holes he's not capable of digging out of. 

Feels like now or never for this regime. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

Do you really think they would keep Zeigler? Or that we would even want that? He came attached to McDaniels. They are college buddies. Its not like this team is overly talented and he's never hired a HC. If he stays and hires a HC, he feels like a lame duck. If you hire a strong coach, and the team underperforms you are firing a GM and giving the HC the authority. If you hire a weak HC, because you have a weak GM, then you are lame ducking the coach as well. 

Just reminds me of the current Broncos. Do you think Sean Payton gets fired? no. The GM does and Sean Payton becomes GM or hand picks his yes man.

Do I think they would? Nah. 

I don't think it would come it as I think he and Josh are attached at the hip for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health. 

I'm just saying that my personal decision to fire Zeigler would depend on him ditching Josh or not. 

In other words, I think Zeigler has room to become a decently competent GM, just not with Josh. Here or somewhere else, I can see it. Dave Zeigler's future as an NFL GM isn't totally derailed by his individual performance in Las Vegas. 

Conversely, I think Josh McDaniels is done. Not just as a HC, I think he's possibly done as a highly coveted OC even. The way this went, it's clear he's a cancer of some sort, and his system will now forever be exposed as absolutely reliant on Tom Brady to work properly (due to his time in Denver, St Louis, Las Vegas, and even time without Brady in New England). 

He might get another job, maybe even as an OC. But his star has gone full Life Alert

15 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It's week 3, so trying not to be a prisoner of the moment. Important football is won in Nov and Dec. That said, nothing is looking positive right now. And the egregious coaching errors are hard to ignore. And teams are typically a reflection of their coach. And we're seeing a listless group. There is no urgency in anything they are doing in all 3 phases. 

I said I judge them on adding Jimmy G and that they'd have to own that decision. Unless he turns a corner, which looks bleak, this is looking like major miscalculation. 

You added a guy familiar with your offense to take care of the ball and manage the game. Instead, he's out here throwing soft ball interceptions and putting the team in holes he's not capable of digging out of. 

Feels like now or never for this regime. 

Yea esp since mark isn’t playing god with jmdz

this all on jmdz

cant even get te’s involved 

agree about teams being a reflection of their coach. We look nonchalant and lethargic esp on offense. 

I want a defense minded hc next 

I can understand that perspective.  I just have doubts on Ziegler's ability to build this team. From the product on the field, I question if this is a case of bad coaching or lack of talent. And really it's both. 

Now is tha a fair assessment of Ziegler, perhaps not, but Mark will have to make a decisive choice on whether he is the guy for the position. 

I just don't want this to be similar to many situations where it ends piss poorly, and the right choice was cut the cord.