Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler are a problem - What should Mark do?

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

We need a stud DC as coach who can hire a DC with his philosophy and a stud OC to run the offense.

The problem with Defensive Head Coaches is usually stud OC’s only last a year or two before becoming a HC. Then your QB and team is learning a whole different offense on a consistent basis. It is much much easier to replace a DC leaving than a OC leaving. 

2 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

The problem with Defensive Head Coaches is usually stud OC’s only last a year or two before becoming a HC. Then your QB and team is learning a whole different offense on a consistent basis. It is much much easier to replace a DC leaving than a OC leaving. 

Maybe but we need someone to instill some toughness 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

What about Lou Anarumo? He has been a helluva DC with the Bengals. Of course, picking an OC to tutor a young QB would be important 

Him and Evero are high on my list. Find the best young QB coach in the league and make him an OC to develop a young QB.

Defensive coach, add a couple playmaker on D, resign JJ, keep Tae.

Then we have a rookie QB with a great supporting cast and an improved defense to lean on while he grows.

Frank Smith would be an interesting guy.

He worked under Jon Gruden, know his system, which had it's strong points and he works with Mike McDaniel closely and contributing this great Dolphins O product...

Obviously he never really was a playcaller, so there are bigtime questions and then we all know that it is totally different to be HC...

With that said he should be among the guys, who get an interview IMO.

Ben Johnson and Shane Waldron should get interviews for sure IMO

Bobby Slowik would be an interesting option if the Texans O keeps playing well and Stroud keeps getting better

Brian Johnson could be an interesting name from Philly too. Shane Steichen seems to do well with the Colts at the moment and while he had more experience in the NFL, before his Eagles years, one could argue he didn't looked good as Chargers OC before...that Siriani/Eagles background could be something...

Mike Kafka is another interesting guy for me. He learned from the great Andy Reid, but he was brave enough to step out from the shadow which is a plus IMO. Last year Daboll and him shocked quite a few people with how well they turned around the Giants O. This year is a mess so far, but their OL situation is killing them. 

Mike LaFleur might be worth looking at, however he might just ride his last name and his background...

There are some interesting young O guys out there...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Id go Dan Quinn if he would have us. The man understands defense. Didn't think he  got a fair shake in Atlanta after blowing the SB.

How do you feel he didn't get a fair shake? He got 4 more years after the Superbowl. Couldn't adequetly replace Shannahan's offensive staff and fizzled out. 

That said, I wouldn't mind Quinn. He's shown he can adapt his defense from his Seattle roots. And he'd be a seasoned if not spectacular hire. 

I get the trend is "hot young OC" but they need a culture coach in here in a big way and Quinn is that type.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It's week 3, so trying not to be a prisoner of the moment. Important football is won in Nov and Dec. That said, nothing is looking positive right now.

Well I hate to break it to you even harder but Josh McDaniels is like 7-16 in games played after Halloween, and the only reason his record isn't worse is because he was fired.

I know you vehemently ignore historical facts and context in favor of perceived stability no matter how bad that stability functionally is, but I still for the life of me cannot understand why on earth you ever found the need to support this guy, given he's the walking antithesis to virtually every reasonable take you provide. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

How do you feel he didn't get a fair shake? He got 4 more years after the Superbowl. Couldn't adequetly replace Shannahan's offensive staff and fizzled out. 

That said, I wouldn't mind Quinn. He's shown he can adapt his defense from his Seattle roots. And he'd be a seasoned if not spectacular hire. 

I get the trend is "hot young OC" but they need a culture coach in here in a big way and Quinn is that type.  

Well, I think something that was completely underrated. During that time is he had some of the worst luck with injuries I've ever seen. Different key people got hurt on both sides of the ball. Also, he went to the playoffs the year after the Super Bowl. So we're really talking about three years.

And in theory, of the retreads that are out there(and most that have gotten new jobs besides Doug Pederson) it would be pretty clear that he's the most deserving.

that said, if I'm gonna get a second shot at head-coaching, I wouldn't come here. Because now you're walking into a post patriot roster situation where without an exception of a few players, most of the players only really work for patriot like  teams.