Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler are a problem - What should Mark do?

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The Bears really suck. I think the Raiders will be drafting 3-5. With Tom Brady teaching Sanders kid how to play QB, I’m going with the Raiders will draft him at 3-5.

Deion Sanders already said, that his son isn't a No. 2 to Caleb Williams. So i don't think he will declare for the draft this season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NickButera said:

The dead cap numbers are 

2023: 107mil

2024: 85 mil

2025: 49mil

So far they've only paid 57mil of 161 in guarantees. (And this year's cash amount is only 28 million, so they still owe a kings ransom after this year) They're in way too deep to cut him after this year. After 2025 is the only realistic option to let him go without financially crippling themselves. I just can't see them moving on that fast from such a huge contract. Has it ever been done before? I can't remember someone moving on from a player when they had near 100 mill left in guarantees. If they let him go, 38% of their cap is taken for a player not on the team. 

Wow, yeah that is bad. Baring something incredible, they look like will be down 3-4 years trying to rebuild. Between the cap and picks they gave up for Wilson/Peyton, they are in bad shape. You wonder if Peyton quits after he realizes Wilson is who he is at this stage of his career and he's stuck with him. Pretty bleak future the guy who probably didn't realize there was no easy fix.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Wow, yeah that is bad. Baring something incredible, they look like will be down 3-4 years trying to rebuild. Between the cap and picks they gave up for Wilson/Peyton, they are in bad shape. You wonder if Peyton quits after he realizes Wilson is who he is at this stage of his career and he's stuck with him. Pretty bleak future the guy who probably didn't realize there was no easy fix.

He either thought that he can recalibrate him easily and get him to TOP10 level play or he and the GM and the owners just know some way out of this contract and salary cap hell...

4 minutes ago, Rolni said:

He either thought that he can recalibrate him easily and get him to TOP10 level play or he and the GM and the owners just know some way out of this contract and salary cap hell...

Based on his offseason comments, sounds like he blamed coaching for last season. His ego thought he could fix it and Wilson and now he's finding that Wilson is washed and the roster has a lot more issues than imagined. 

He came in with a lot of bark and bravado. We're in the F around stage of this right now. 

9 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Why? I don’t think you guys understand he still gets his endorsement deals if he goes pro and maybe even more.

Eh, I don't think Deion would let his son do anything rash for instant money if it meant there's a chance he fizzles out long term career financial opportunities. If he's not ready to go Pro, Deion won't let him. At the heart of them is family values and wisdom.  I think whatever choice they make will be long term minded. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Why? I don’t think you guys understand he still gets his endorsement deals if he goes pro and maybe even more.

Because he's not ready and they know it. 

They can say "He don’t want to be two to nobody. He don’t get down like that. People are projecting him behind Caleb Williams. And Caleb Williams is phenomenal. But Shedeur ain’t no backseat rider" all they want.

He's probably QB 5-8 in this draft and they know that. He needs to keep developing. All their comments are just posturing. You can talk big, act cocky but the tape don't lie. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

Deion Sanders already said, that his son isn't a No. 2 to Caleb Williams. So i don't think he will declare for the draft this season.

Shoot, he ain't even #5 to Williams right now lol. 

He might be #2 or #3 next year depending on who declares. 

Nothing against the kid, I think he has a bright future. But if he declared today, he'd be that Willis/Levis/etc type that gets 1st round hype and takes a big fall once the draft actually starts. 

I have a soft spot for the Buffs going back to watching Sefo Liufau duke it out with Michigan as a huge underdog in 2016. Probably goes back even further- I have some fond memories of Kordell Stewart too. So I absolutely want to see them succeed. I like Deion and both of his kids on the team. But the media hype is waaaay bigger than it needs to be, almost to a detrimental level. Deion wants to being eyes to the program, and he's succeeding 100% in that regard. But boy are there a lot of bandwagoners that are all too willing to build things up to crazy levels that will probably be harsh critics by the end of the year. That Shedeur was getting 1st round and Heisman hype was too much given where the team actually is. There's a lot more potential there that should gel with time, but it's not at that point yet. 

Shedeur has done everything the right way, imo. He seems likeable. He's got legitimate talent. And I think Deion would be right to dissuade him from declaring even if Shedeur wanted to this year. He'd take a fall once the scrutiny really ramped up, and it would be a disservice to him that could derail his future improvement. Sit this draft out, you'll be there soon enough. I'd rather see him be a bona-fide QST rounder with a shot than a guy that slides and winds up forgotten. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Am I the only one not that impressed with Sanders? People out here saying he's QB 2 or 3 is crazy to me. He's improving and should stay in school to continue developing.

Between him being Deion's kid. And Tom Brady working with him, his exposure is far outpacing his actual game. 

Total agreement. 

I won't say he can't do it. He did at the lower level and he looks like he absolutely belongs in D1 football. He has the exposure and resources to be a ridiculous prospect when the time is right. 

Now isn't that time. People are jumping the gun way too much with him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

Eh, I don't think Deion would let his son do anything rash for instant money if it meant there's a chance he fizzles out long term career financial opportunities. If he's not ready to go Pro, Deion won't let him. At the heart of them is family values and wisdom.  I think whatever choice they make will be long term minded. 

I read he was ranked third.

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Total agreement. 

I won't say he can't do it. He did at the lower level and he looks like he absolutely belongs in D1 football. He has the exposure and resources to be a ridiculous prospect when the time is right. 

Now isn't that time. People are jumping the gun way too much with him. 

Checks below his feet to make sure hell HAS IN FACT froze over. Sorry guys, I’m here for the comedy cuz I’d rather laugh than be crying over my jerry jersey at this point. Seeing you two agree on something warms my icy S & B heart!! 👍🤣🤣 btw, I definitely agree as well. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

Checks below his feet to make sure hell HAS IN FACT froze over. Sorry guys, I’m here for the comedy cuz I’d rather laugh than be crying over my jerry jersey at this point. Seeing you two agree on something warms my icy S & B heart!! 👍🤣🤣 btw, I definitely agree as well. 

If I remember correctly over the years, we've actually often agreed on quite a few players/draft prospects. 

When it comes to recognizing coaching talent and who/what/when/where/why to give someone leeway or call a spade a spade in job outlook or performance, we're just diametrically opposed. 

To his credit, he's admitted he mostly just doesn't want yet another regime change. That I respect. Why he feels the need to actively defend the regime in the clear face of failure, I'll honestly never understand lol

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If I remember correctly over the years, we've actually often agreed on quite a few players/draft prospects. 

When it comes to recognizing coaching talent and who/what/when/where/why to give someone leeway or call a spade a spade in job outlook or performance, we're just diametrically opposed. 

To his credit, he's admitted he mostly just doesn't want yet another regime change. That I respect. Why he feels the need to actively defend the regime in the clear face of failure, I'll honestly never understand lol

It's true, most the time we agree more often than not. 

Hard to defend the regime after last week. I see no positive signs at this point. I tried to be less cynical in relation to the Raiders this go around. And bought the coaching hype McDaniels has accumulated over the years. In theory, it sounded good. In practice it's not worked to this point.

• Like 4