Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler are a problem - What should Mark do?

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agreed. He has 3 WRs that are top tier to elite route runners. They are getting open effortlessly in some cases. I've seen Hooper/Mayer get separation in their routes as well. He has to start findings these guys or they need to move to a QB that can. 

I think Jimmy G is better than what he's shown, but he has to sort it out quick.

He is, this what happens when you miss off-season workouts with a new team but His arm is scary weak. I’m wondering if he’s hurt.

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Anyone else want to see Denver/Vegas in a battle for the #1 overall pick and right to take Caleb Williams week 17? 

The Bears really suck. I think the Raiders will be drafting 3-5. With Tom Brady teaching Sanders kid how to play QB, I’m going with the Raiders will draft him at 3-5.

Edited by Bitty 2.0

5 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Denver isn't taking a QB in the first round! Let's place a wager on this 😂

I was thinking about that they can trade Wilson and promise to pay Let’s say 40 million a  year until the guarantees is over.

With the rookie QB contract they will be saving money.

39 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Remember when everybody thought beating the Broncos for the seventh time straight was an impressive feat? 

Literally who thought that? I'm pretty sure we understand the Broncos and Wilson were trash. They did have a solid defense last season, only thing I saw pointed at.

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

Denver isn't taking a QB in the first round! Let's place a wager on this 😂

You don't think they eat Wilson's contract for a unicorn prospect that could immediately impact their franchise. I think the ownership would get behind that.

Now, if they don't have a shot at Williams, then I might agree. 

36 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You don't think they eat Wilson's contract for a unicorn prospect that could immediately impact their franchise. I think the ownership would get behind that.

Now, if they don't have a shot at Williams, then I might agree. 

The dead cap numbers are 

2023: 107mil

2024: 85 mil

2025: 49mil

So far they've only paid 57mil of 161 in guarantees. (And this year's cash amount is only 28 million, so they still owe a kings ransom after this year) They're in way too deep to cut him after this year. After 2025 is the only realistic option to let him go without financially crippling themselves. I just can't see them moving on that fast from such a huge contract. Has it ever been done before? I can't remember someone moving on from a player when they had near 100 mill left in guarantees. If they let him go, 38% of their cap is taken for a player not on the team. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Literally who thought that? I'm pretty sure we understand the Broncos and Wilson were trash. They did have a solid defense last season, only thing I saw pointed at.

Surprisingly, you weren't one of the people. I actually remember you saying to jail because it's only week one lol.  But all you would have to do is go back to the good the bad the ugly broncos game thread or the the last 10 pages of the actual week 1 game day thread. 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It will depend how well AOC looks. I won't put a poor record on him as we're already losing and our team is flawed. If he looks like a potential OROY then I would reconsider a QB maybe.

But some of these QBs coming out look remarkable. I wouldn't hesitate to select one high. You always need a good insurance policy and worst case Farva is an awesome backup and trade chip.

But do you draft a qb round 1 if he balls out?

10 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Don't take it from me, I don't opine very often. Take it from former players and the horse's own mouth:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2019/05/15/dolphins-eric-rowe-comfortable-in-brian-flores-patriot-way-as-he-competes-for-starting-cornerback-spot/

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2020/12/brian-flores-explains-dolphins-culture-that-isnt-far-from-the-patriot-way.html

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/brian-flores-confident-history-belichick-coaching-tree/484767

Like McDaniels, he's great at talking the talk about "being his own man" and "willing to deviate from the core values when needed".....yet that preaching never gets put to practice. Core values? Like winning and accountability? The same core values everyone says they want to instill? No, he means core values as the Patriots way of doing things- being rigid as hell, throwing players under the bus by being mum and not being accountable. 

And that's the issue with all of these Pats guys that cut their teeth through the Brady years: Times were great and Bill Belichick was a God who never had to answer the hard questions. The hardest thing Bill had to do was every other year or so talk about why they weren't going to the Superbowl. 

His associates don't know how to build or lose or be accountable because they were just never held accountable. It wasn't necessary, because practically every other year they were playing for another ring and everything was copacetic again. They can preach all day long about being accountable, and hey, maybe their even sincere about it and it keeps them up late at night. But the fact remains that they've never been ones to actually fix anything wrong. They don't know how, because there was just almost never anything that absolutely needed to be fixed in New England with any sort of regularity. 

So what do they do? They stick to their guns, talk mantra, wind up throwing players under the bus because it couldn't possibly be them or the system that's flawed, things go south and eventually everything hits rock bottom. Even New England itself looks like a pretty dysfunctional mess without Brady. That's the Brady effect. There was certainly some things the Patriots did right over the years, but they don't have as many rings without Tom being there as a consistent metric of excellence. I can comfortably say that because we've seen the knock off replicas fail time and time again for the same reasons while now seeing the same to an admittedly lesser degree in New England itself. 

So, yes, Flores is a Patriots Way guy through and through and, no, I want zilch to do with him. 

Sorry for the late answer - although I'm a Millenial, I am not that fast with the phone lol:

I can't open the first link, but the others are pretty generic articles imho, meaning that I would say that you hear something like that from all Coaches around the world in all sports that they "learned a lot from their mentor" and also would like to "bring in their own style of coaching". This alone doesn't tell me anything of a coach.

The main difference between Flores and McDaniels are the results. And Flores delivered the results. In 3 seasons with the Dolphins he had 2 winning seasons with an overall record of 24-25, which is by far better than the overall record JMD had even before he was here.

Also I see a different approach in coaching style from Flores, reading that article:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/why-brian-flores-could-be-vikings-gamechanger-its-not-my-system-its-theirs

Flores isn't the "just do what I tell you" type of guy that JMD is. He wants to know what his players can do and what they can't and scheme around that.
You won't see something like a jet sweep from Adams from him.

I don't judge Flores for the Pittsburgh stint, because what impact can a senior assistent have on a team. Especially when the team is lead by a defensive-minded HC like Mike Tomlin. And I also don't judge Flores' work with the Vikings right now. They were the second worst D last season and I guess Flores' scheme isn't easy to learn. The dolphins lost the first 7 games in his first season with them, before things started to click.

We will probably don't have the patience for that, but I also think, that our roster will be better, than the Dolphins roster was, when he started.

Maybe I don't notice all the negatives from Flores, because you know, I live in Europe and I have to specifically search for football news, because football is not omnipresent here.

That's why I ask, what do former players from him say about him?

• Like 1