In Flores We Trust - How Good Can This Defense Be?

cconocool

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

They do, but I think the Commanders are a unique case, because their previous ownership was filled with such negativity that tarnished the brand of that franchise whichever name it was under, that it may be in their best interest to wipe the slate clean.  It is a worse situation than what happened in Cleveland and Houston when their franchises moved to Baltimore and Tennessee, respectively...and it took the drafting of Peyton Manning to wipe away the bad taste that the Irsays left in Baltimore (as Indianapolis Colts really never has seemed right...although certainly not to the extent of the Utah Jazz).    

Yeah...what would you  name a professional sports team in Utah?  It certainly wouldn't be Jazz.

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Which is only going to change if the offense starts executing better. 

No Joke.  If the offense is going to three-and-out two-thirds of the time, like the offense did in the second half of the game against the Bears, there is nothing you could reasonably expect the defense to do to win ToP. I would rather not see the defense give up 75-yard TD plays just to tilt the ToP the Vikings' way.  Getting more consistent offensively is where I would be looking, not at anything Flores is doing wrong. After Flores has better players on the line, I believe he'll have his team stopping the run better.

• Like 3

Moving up on the depth chart IN SEASON seem like a rarity, especially for a player who was drafted for a different coach's defense.

Don't need to bring out the banners yet, but it does feel meaningful that Booth has earned this. It's a testament to his ability to learn and his resilience.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Moving up on the depth chart IN SEASON seem like a rarity, especially for a player who was drafted for a different coach's defense.

Don't need to bring out the banners yet, but it does feel meaningful that Booth has earned this. It's a testament to his ability to learn and his resilience.

True but there is the reality of they need bodies and if Evans gets hurt the only guy they have been bringing in his Blackmon and then they have no slot corner or if Murphy moves to slot depending on the matchup then they have no boundary corner so of course Booth should be getting action if one of those starting boundary corners are hurt. 

It is just numbers, and it would be really sad if Booth is passed over by CJ Coldon Jr or NaJee Thompson or Jaylin Williams.  But of course whoever shows up in practice at corner should play and get rewarded.  They need another corner to show up that is for sure, they are very thin at that spot and another injury could create a total mess.  

Still have to love the aggressive play calling and how certain guys have taken to the system.  I did not get to watch that Chicago game, did Pace Jr get hurt?  I see Asamoah got in there.  And I see Marcus Davenport got hurt again, totally sucks, his versatility as a edge guy or DT pass rusher is awesome.  Hopefully Andre Carter II gets some play especially if Patrick Jones is out.  I wish they could get more pressure out of Lowry or Bullard but I guess it is being taken up by Harrison Smith or Metellus coming off the edge at times.

On 10/20/2023 at 5:42 PM, Ozzy said:

True but there is the reality of they need bodies and if Evans gets hurt the only guy they have been bringing in his Blackmon and then they have no slot corner or if Murphy moves to slot depending on the matchup then they have no boundary corner so of course Booth should be getting action if one of those starting boundary corners are hurt. 

It is just numbers, and it would be really sad if Booth is passed over by CJ Coldon Jr or NaJee Thompson or Jaylin Williams.  But of course whoever shows up in practice at corner should play and get rewarded.  They need another corner to show up that is for sure, they are very thin at that spot and another injury could create a total mess.  

Still have to love the aggressive play calling and how certain guys have taken to the system.  I did not get to watch that Chicago game, did Pace Jr get hurt?  I see Asamoah got in there.  And I see Marcus Davenport got hurt again, totally sucks, his versatility as a edge guy or DT pass rusher is awesome.  Hopefully Andre Carter II gets some play especially if Patrick Jones is out.  I wish they could get more pressure out of Lowry or Bullard but I guess it is being taken up by Harrison Smith or Metellus coming off the edge at times.

Pace played but didn't make any tackles. He still graded well though.

57% blitz percentage by the Vikings, #1 in the NFL and is 20% more than the next highest take at 37%.

Brian Flores is a dude, love that they picked him up.  Liked him and wanted him the HC two years ago, sadly if the Vikings keep getting better defensively and start to win he will probably be a head coach next season somewhere. 

The defense is really starting to come together even though they have pretty crap CB play and a major injury with Davenport out.  Still awesome coach and good to finally be aggressive and start to have a bit of a defensive identity.  Hicks is playing amazing in his system, if they add some DT help with Davenport they can really be a force in terms of a pass rush.  

• Like 5

Yeah...there is no way Vikings win this game with Donatell as DC. Flores has done a great job despite a flawed defensive roster. If only we had another good pass rusher other than Hunter, this defense can be even better...doesn't help that Davenport has missed lot of games due to injury

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Brian Flores is a dude, love that they picked him up.  Liked him and wanted him the HC two years ago, sadly if the Vikings keep getting better defensively and start to win he will probably be a head coach next season somewhere.

I still think it's going to be a hard road for him to get another HC job, considering how he burned some bridges last time around.  I also think he's going to be more careful about what job he considers taking.  I think the quality of ownership will play a factor, which may eliminate him from some obvious potential opportunities, like the Raiders or Chargers.  I could see him going to a team like Washington, if they decide to move on from Riverboat Ron.  

• Like 1