Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

NinerNation21

Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is Brock Purdy Actually Good?

29 minutes ago, John232 said:

It’s really clear just listening the mvp conversation of almost like sports rhetorical devices. 

fwiw I think Dak has a better case right now. But people like Robert Mays and Ruiz have to spin up hypotheticals that will never happen, to be convinced. 

there’s also a lot of revisionism. A lot of “but Jimmy did just as well in games with CMC and then stinks in Oakland, would Brock too??”

no trust when 49er fans say he’s miles ahead of Jimmy at his best 

It's ok, these guys just say words that they think will get clicks.  It's become meaningless at this point.  I only pay attention to a select few.  I like Rich Eisen for hot takes, background noise, national news, etc.  I like good morning football too.  It's fun without being too serious and angry about uninformed opinions.  Watching these alleged professionals try to win arguments with emotion rather than actual support is annoying for me.  

I would first have to define a clear criteria as far as value.  What is cost, what is return, and is it an award for individual achievement, or for achievement as part of a team? 

I also have better things to do, as I don't actually have an MVP vote.  I agree, Dak makes a strong case.  McCarthy isn't great, he has average skill players, and he is keeping the boat afloat.  

You are right though, MVP is just a vehicle to push their agenda of attention seeking behavior. 

If I had a vote, I would vote for Tyreek Hill at this point in the year.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness to Ruiz, this isn't new. Brady has been in the rankings all year and the rookies were added back in week 11

I mean, those are less ridiculous than Derek Carr or Daniel Jones. Those ones require gouging out one's eyes and scooping out one's brain before it can interact with any dangerous metrics.

Edited by JIllg

12 hours ago, JIllg said:

I mean, those are less ridiculous than Derek Carr or Daniel Jones. Those ones require gouging out one's eyes and scooping out one's brain before it can interact with any dangerous metrics.

I don't know, college QBs going against college defenses getting superior grades to QBs going against nfl defenses is ludicrous to me. And to top it off especially in the Caleb Williams case, Caleb might have a crap defense on his team but USC has never lacked for talent at the WR position.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I don't know, college QBs going against college defenses getting superior grades to QBs going against nfl defenses is ludicrous to me. And to top it off especially in the Caleb Williams case, Caleb might have a crap defense on his team but USC has never lacked for talent at the WR position.

It's bait. They need to justify their contract stances by showing their corporate overlords increasing engagement numbers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The ending of the Vikings and Bengals games skew folks opinions on Purdy in those games. And don't get me wrong, that is very important but I don't think many realize just how good Purdy was in those games for large parts of the game. He was legitimately carrying the offense and making some of his best throws in those games. But if people want to argue that Brock needs to show he can get it done in money situations down 4 and needing a TD or something? Sure, I can buy that and he will need to show that if he wants to be truly seen as an elite QB. All the other stuff though is noise.

Man, this was a great breakdwon. I am not very familiar with Sloter but he did a good job in this breakdown. 

• Like 1

YPA alert - it's 9.9 now. He might actually finish with over 10 yards an attempt for the season given that Washington is on the schedule. Also, he's second in passing yards with 100-150 fewer attempts to the rest of the guys in the top ten. That is all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JIllg said:

YPA alert - it's 9.9 now. He might actually finish with over 10 yards an attempt for the season given that Washington is on the schedule. Also, he's second in passing yards with 100-150 fewer attempts to the rest of the guys in the top ten. That is all.

More passing yards than Dak on 91 less attempts. Insane. 

Kind of confused why Dak became the clear favorite for the MVP off yesterday's performance when Purdy was just as good, if not better against the same team a week prior. Not like Purdy didn't have a big game yesterday himself. 

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kind of confused why Dak became the clear favorite for the MVP off yesterday's performance when Purdy was just as good, if not better against the same team a week prior. Not like Purdy didn't have a big game yesterday himself. 

Agreed! Let’s see how Dak plays against Buffalo and Miami. I still think Purdy should be #1 for MVP if it continues to be a “qb only” award. 

43 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Both teams played the Eagles and Seahawks the last two weeks. Comparing them:
Purdy: 70.4%, 682 yards, 12.63 Y/A, 6 TD, 1 INT, 16 rushing yards
Dak: 66.3%, 570 yards, 7.13 Y/A, 5 TD, 0 INT, 34 rushing yards, 1 fumble lost

Not to mention what happened when they faced off head to head

Yeah, I understand the narratives(Dak plays for the Cowboys and Purdy has all these weapons around him[as if Pollard, Lamb, Ferguson, and Cooks aren't great players in their own right]), and Dak having three more TDs and two less turnovers definitely helps, but I just don't see a good reason for Dak being a clear favorite over Purdy unless the Cowboys get the 1 seed, and certainly not if they fail to win the NFC East

Edited by jonnguy2015

7 hours ago, JIllg said:

The bolded gets me every week. This offense is so freaking explosive. I've never seen a 49ers team like this one (I'm 35 and didn't get into my die-hard fandom until early 2000's).