CLE hires John Dorsey as GM

Broncofan

3 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

Perhaps it gives guys chances to actually interview though which could land them other spots in organizations or other real interviews from other teams looking to hire someone without a preplanned guy though.

Exactly, it gives them a chance to interview, show their stuff. And the news blurbs about the interview/visit puts that candidate in a spotlight he may not have gotten otherwise. He also gets to practice interviewing and get feedback on his presentation/resume

It also works in the other direction as it did in the case of Packers assistant Winston Moss. He was a coveted candidate, he did the interview tour... and he soured the senior people he met with based on those meetings. His chances for a DC or HC job dried up - mainly as a result of his poor Rooney-mandated interviews.

16 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Your not happy with Kareem Hunt, Tyreke Hill, Travis Kelce, Marcus Peters, Dee Ford, Chris Jones and Pat Mahommes in waiting? All while locking up Tamba Hali, Justin Houston and Eric Berry long term?

I mean what more could you want

Tyreek and Travis are excellent. Marcus has been a total clown this year and softer than tissue paper. Dee Ford has had only one year of impact. Chris Jones is good. Mahomes i hope is worth it, because we need help everywhere. Kareem is good, but needs help.

But the roster this year was largely shaped by Dorsey and has repeatedly failed as the year went on. All those old players he resigned are skeletons. He took way to long to sign Houston and it sank our cap. He didn't want to sign Berry, most likely because of the Achilles issue and Clark Hunt forced his hand there.  In Hindsight maybe it would have been better to not keep him.

But mainly I want a football team that wins in January. Tough task with Reid at coach I know.

For your purposes, just winning a game, though he should do well.

15 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Tyreek and Travis are excellent. Marcus has been a total clown this year and softer than tissue paper. Dee Ford has had only one year of impact. Chris Jones is good. Mahomes i hope is worth it, because we need help everywhere. Kareem is good, but needs help.

But the roster this year was largely shaped by Dorsey and has repeatedly failed as the year went on. All those old players he resigned are skeletons. He took way to long to sign Houston and it sank our cap. He didn't want to sign Berry, most likely because of the Achilles issue and Clark Hunt forced his hand there.  In Hindsight maybe it would have been better to not keep him.

But mainly I want a football team that wins in January. Tough task with Reid at coach I know.

Hell no.

45 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

That is so rude. Have we forgotten the Chiefs 2-14 season already?

Dorsey has been one of the better drafters in the last few years. Cleveland should have someone in there who can help with the contact between ownership (good luck with Haslam) and is strong with contract structure. 

5 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Will he actually draft a QB or continue to pass on them?

I expect the Browns to bring in Alex Smith or AJ McCarron next year as their 'capable veteran' while also drafting a QB they like in the 1st. Similar to what the Cheifs did with Alex Smith and Pat Mahommes. We dont know if thats Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield but I expect the Browns depth chart to look like this next year.

QB1- Alex Smith/AJ McCarron

QB2-Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield

QB3- Deshone Kizer

Cody Kessler + Kevin Hogan cut

8 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:

That is so rude. Have we forgotten the Chiefs 2-14 season already?

Dorsey has been one of the better drafters in the last few years. Cleveland should have someone in there who can help with the contact between ownership (good luck with Haslam) and is strong with contract structure. 

paul depodesta is still in the front office. I think they will hire a team president to help with the power structure. I also believe Haslam gets a bad rap by the media.

17 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Eh, I personally think Dorsey is an alright, but not spectacular GM, but let's not forget that every GM in the league has far more misses than hits in the draft... it's virtually impossible to hit on all your picks. The average draft class for a team will produce around 2 or 3 longterm starters on a good year.

Very true, I believe the average for most drafts is 3 starters and some may need some time before reaching that level.

8 hours ago, buno67 said:

paul depodesta is still in the front office. I think they will hire a team president to help with the power structure. I also believe Haslam gets a bad rap by the media.

Haslam gets a bad rap because he's atrocious, not because of "the media".

Shurmur/Holmgren, Banner/Lombardi/Chud, Farmer/Pettine, Sashi.  4 regime changes in the 5 years he's owned the team.  

The Steelers, our "rival", by comparison have had 3 regimes since the 60's.

The moron then still has the balls to talk about the need for continuity with a straight face.

He's a damned abomination.

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

There is literally zero incentive for a GM to do the right thing when cleaning house these days. You’re gonna lose your job before you get to rebuild it anyway.

Yep.

Sashi's biggest mistake IMO was believe the huckster owner that he'd be patient with a rebuild.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Haslam gets a bad rap because he's atrocious, not because of "the media".

Shurmur/Holmgren, Banner/Lombardi/Chud, Farmer/Pettine, Sashi.  4 regime changes in the 5 years he's owned the team.  

The Steelers, our "rival", by comparison have had 3 regimes since the 60's.

The moron then still has the balls to talk about the need for continuity with a straight face.

He's a damned abomination.

I am not going to hold Shurmur and Holmgren to Haslem. That duo were lame ducks under Lerner and were bound to get fired. Holmgrem might be the biggest FO disappointment since the return. Banner and Lombardi were pathetic and was a horrible arranged marriage that the NFL set up for Haslem. You know its a joke when one of the members of the FO is banned from speaking to the media. Chud was a joke of a HC. Farmer and Pettine were awful. Sashi is prolly his biggest mistake but because Sashi had the balls to do such a tear down that is has given the Browns a single ray of hope because know the Browns have a proved GM, a well respected GM, and has all the assets you could dream off without having to do a rebulding. He is a contractor who was just given a house that was completely demoed and cleaned up. Now his only job is to build it up. 

I could careless about the steelers and their history. You would think they were some power house since the 60s because of that. You go from their steroid infused run from 72 to 79 and after that to 92' the Steelers werent special whatso ever.

Sorry I dont want the Browns to sit on their hands for the sake of continuity. That wont get you anywhere. I could see if the Browns were having success and Haslam was firing guys, then I would have issues with him. Its be like Gilbert firing/letting go of Griffen for no reason. Until a FO really shows something, I could careless if he fires someone. You are not going to run a business and hire managers or employees who are costing you money and not improving your bottom line. After time you are going to replace them. 

10 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

There is literally zero incentive for a GM to do the right thing when cleaning house these days. You’re gonna lose your job before you get to rebuild it anyway.

The biggest thing that hurt sashi was seeing two QBs he passed on turn out to be bonafide studs (wentz and potentially Watson, looked like it until the knee injury)

If Wentz or Watson didnt turnout as well they did, I believe Sashi would still be the GM. When you miss on the most important position like that, its going to hurt them. To me that is why Hue is also to blame. You never went to bat for either Wentz or Watson. If he truly loved those guys and thought they were franchise changing QBs, he prolly would of fought to have them. He the comes out and ties his name to Kessler, RGIII, and Kizer but wasnt willing to stick his neck out for those, to me shows he has as much fault for the QBs as Sashi. I also hope they can Hue at the end of the season. I hope they gave him that vote of confidence so it keeps the coaches in the mindset of wanting to win instead of looking for other jobs and it keeps the players focused on playing and trying to win a game. 

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I am not going to hold Shurmur and Holmgren to Haslem. That duo were lame ducks under Lerner and were bound to get fired. Holmgrem might be the biggest FO disappointment since the return. Banner and Lombardi were pathetic and was a horrible arranged marriage that the NFL set up for Haslem. You know its a joke when one of the members of the FO is banned from speaking to the media. Chud was a joke of a HC. Farmer and Pettine were awful. Sashi is prolly his biggest mistake but because Sashi had the balls to do such a tear down that is has given the Browns a single ray of hope because know the Browns have a proved GM, a well respected GM, and has all the assets you could dream off without having to do a rebulding. He is a contractor who was just given a house that was completely demoed and cleaned up. Now his only job is to build it up. 

I could careless about the steelers and their history. You would think they were some power house since the 60s because of that. You go from their steroid infused run from 72 to 79 and after that to 92' the Steelers werent special whatso ever.

Sorry I dont want the Browns to sit on their hands for the sake of continuity. That wont get you anywhere. I could see if the Browns were having success and Haslam was firing guys, then I would have issues with him. Its be like Gilbert firing/letting go of Griffen for no reason. Until a FO really shows something, I could careless if he fires someone. You are not going to run a business and hire managers or employees who are costing you money and not improving your bottom line. After time you are going to replace them. 

The only important takeaway here is you keep using the word "careless" instead of "care less" and even then the phrase is "I couldn't care less".

You're welcome.

As far as Dorsey, have a look at that Cheifs roster and tell me how many studs he had to work with when he took the job. Guys like Houston, Hali, Poe, Charles, Hudson, Carr, Berry, Johnson, etc., were already there.  Forgive me for having a bit of skepticism that a guy who was canned after every putting together an old, expensive roster with minimal cap flexibility that is currently a .500 team is our savior.

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep.

Sashi's biggest mistake IMO was believe the huckster owner that he'd be patient with a rebuild.

I think what may have happened was Haslam asked Sashi which QB he thought they would take #1 in 2018 and the answer was trade down.

Archived