CLE hires John Dorsey as GM

Broncofan

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Eh, I personally think Dorsey is an alright, but not spectacular GM, but let's not forget that every GM in the league has far more misses than hits in the draft... it's virtually impossible to hit on all your picks. The average draft class for a team will produce around 2 or 3 longterm starters on a good year.

Absolutely.  

Tyreke Hill & Chris Jones are major impact guys from the 2016 draft.   Top 10-12 positional talent not just starters.   Demarcus Robinson looks like a serviceable 2nd/3rd WR.  From 2015 he got Peters &  Morse again 2 impact players.   Plus Nunez-Roches decent rotation guy.  Plus David Irving as a UDFA who is an impact nfl guy (but with DAL).   Then Dee Ford & Duvernay-Tardif again impact players from 2014 draft, and G Fulton a serviceable starter now.   And now he has Mahomes as their QBOTF for 2018 and Kareem Hunt a pro bowl RB.  Plus the fact that rookies rarely are at peak so guys like K-Pass could be impact guys in 2018 onwards.  

Getting 8-9 impact players not just starters and 3-4 more starters from 4 drafts is a top 5-10 NFL GM result.  Talk about unrealistic standards / expectations if people don’t think Dorsey didn’t draft well in KC.    

From Bob McGinn:

"Retired GM Ron Wolf once said he never had a scout more proficient than Dorsey at unearthing information and making judgments on character and off-field issues."

"Inheriting a 2-14 team from GM Scott Pioli in January 2013, Dorsey commenced a four-year revival that saw the Chiefs post the NFL’s fourth-best record in the regular season (43-21) and make the AFC playoffs three times."

"Several teams contacted Dorsey about various positions ..... Looking for the proper fit and under contract with the Chiefs through the 2018 draft, Dorsey eventually decided to remain unattached and study both pro and collegiate tape from his home in Kansas City."

Forced to keep Hue Jackson.... this is off to a strong start.

When will they realize that Hue Jackson is part of the problem? He's a loser who will go behind your back to suit his own needs. A consummate boot licker to leverage himself. He's a me first guy. Not a leader and certainly not someone after 1-27 you keep as a HC.

30 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Forced to keep Hue Jackson.... this is off to a strong start.

When will they realize that Hue Jackson is part of the problem? He's a loser who will go behind your back to suit his own needs. A consummate boot licker to leverage himself. He's a me first guy. Not a leader and certainly not someone after 1-27 you keep as a HC.

Let’s see:  

1.  Hue doesn’t like O he has.   Decides not to hire an OC - but only reveals this press day that his GM is fired.  As a reminder:

2.  Despite above Hue clearly did NOT stump for either Wentz/Goff at 1.2 in 2016 nor Watson at 1.12 for 2017.   Well documented.  

3.  Hue goes behind FO back to Haslem to try and trade for AJ McCarron giving up 2.1.  So he doesn’t stump for the guys above but yes for McCarron.  M’kay.  

4.   Not as clear but you have to believe Hue was active behind the scenes in getting GM Brown ousted.  

5.  The new GM has FULL personnel control.   Like GM Sashi Brown did before.   Hue’s going to have to work with whatever QB & other talent the new GM brings in.   Which brings back issue #1 - clearly not working in sync with GM b4.  

If I was the incoming GM I would be thinking the HC isn’t a guy I’d turn my back on...ever.  

And that’s before we even debate if he’s any good as a HC.  Outstanding record as an OC, sure.   HC....meh.     

3 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

The rule itself is a bit of a joke in the first place, if someone is interested in a specific candidate they'll go through the motions with someone else to satisfy this rule and move onto the actual one they care about landing. Or perhaps that candidate would have satisfied the rule regardless.

Yeah it's one of those rules that sounds ok on the surface but then is crap when you look at how it really works.

Perhaps it gives guys chances to actually interview though which could land them other spots in organizations or other real interviews from other teams looking to hire someone without a preplanned guy though.

I may ruffle some feathers here, so bear with me, as it's not my intent. In a legitimate attempt to stay away from politics/other areas, I'm going to make a legitimate attempt to tow the line.

I understand the Rooney Rule and am not inherently against it. However, people like Michael Smith and John Wooten can't have it both ways.

They can't say that the Browns "violated the spirit of the rule" by "ONLY checking a box" by secretly interviewing a minority candidate while getting "their guy" in Dorsey all along, who, by the way, is widely considered the best/one of the best at the GM/President of Football Operations positions in the entire NFL.

AND

They wouldn't have batted an eye if Sashi Brown and Hue Jackson were the ONLY candidates interviewed/hired.

Our last 2 GM types (Farmer and Sashi) should have their pictures posted, and that should speak for itself. If ANY organization should be given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the Rooney rule, we should be it. You can criticize this organization for a LOT of things, and deservedly so, but this is not one of them.

14 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

hey man, all Im saying is that my team hasnt had that much talent on their team since 1995, I would amputate my pinkie finger for the Browns to look like the current Cheifs roster haha But no, my team is 4-46 in the past 4 seasons with 7 different starting QBs.

make that 5-46 after this weekend!

Archived