The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: we're picking 16th edition

Totty

6 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If we get drake maye i'll get high watching Raiders games.

All this stupid winning has us out of the mix unfortunately.  The only way I see us getting him at this point is an extremely bold move involving extensive trade capital.  Sucks.  Lets also factor in that this FO has yet to show they can draft effectively nor develop... though, I am seeing slow progressions from our picks.  Credit where its due.. Lets also note that at this point even if we were GIVEN the #1 overall pick to draft our QBotF, there is no telling Josh and Dave would do that because Josh is a believer in SYSTEM not player.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Totty said:

All this stupid winning has us out of the mix unfortunately.  The only way I see us getting him at this point is an extremely bold move involving extensive trade capital.  Sucks.  Lets also factor in that this FO has yet to show they can draft effectively nor develop... though, I am seeing slow progressions from our picks.  Credit where its due.. Lets also note that at this point even if we were GIVEN the #1 overall pick to draft our QBotF, there is no telling Josh and Dave would do that because Josh is a believer in SYSTEM not player.  

I would pray that he's grown after this year, watching just how great his system could be with a competent QB. I mean, one would have to be incompetently blind to not see this. 

They tried to trade up last draft, maybe they smarten up and invest whatever it takes this time

• Like 3

7 hours ago, NickButera said:

I would pray that he's grown after this year, watching just how great his system could be with a competent QB. I mean, one would have to be incompetently blind to not see this. 

They tried to trade up last draft, maybe they smarten up and invest whatever it takes this time

Imagine Stroud in this offense right now. Raiders would be a playoff team. I hope they take that shot again, but man there are a lot of QB needy teams to contend with. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Imagine Stroud in this offense right now. Raiders would be a playoff team. I hope they take that shot again, but man there are a lot of QB needy teams to contend with. 

It depends how AOC looks . I don’t think they drag Jimmy out there again. This offense would look different with a QB who could and is willing to make the throws 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Would Stroud play this well under JMD?

9 hours ago, Totty said:

All this stupid winning has us out of the mix unfortunately.  The only way I see us getting him at this point is an extremely bold move involving extensive trade capital.  Sucks.  Let’s also factor in that this FO has yet to show they can draft effectively nor develop... though, I am seeing slow progressions from our picks.  Credit where its due.. Lets also note that at this point even if we were GIVEN the #1 overall pick to draft our QBotF, there is no telling Josh and Dave would do that because Josh is a believer in SYSTEM not player.  

Winning is never stupid. It is building a program. If you ever want to attract the Javon Hargrove or CJ Garner Johnson FAs, then winning is important . Raiders for a long time have been a place for players to stop by and get paid then leave. The lions started to win games last season and look at them now 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

It depends how AOC looks . I don’t think they drag Jimmy out there again. This offense would look different with a QB who could and is willing to make the throws 

I don't expect much from AO4. While he may be able to make the throws Jimmy can't, he's still a day 3 rookie prospect who is mentally figuring out the game. 

He and DTR in Cleveland both shined in pre-season. Given starts, they quickly feel to the jump in competition. Both looked erratic, struggled with ball placement and accuracy and took sacks holding onto the ball to long. 

No problem with AO4 getting starts, but he's not going elevate this team anymore than where they are at currently imo. More splash plays maybe, but they will come with bad sacks and turnovers. 

29 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Would Stroud play this well under JMD?

Why wouldn't he? The issue is not the offense, it's the QB. Stroud is refined.  A dream in the pocket, throws with accuracy and anticipation at all levels of the field. Can create when needed. 

With guys like Adams and Meyers, his skillset would sync up perfectly. I'm sure that was apparent to the staff when they tried to trade for him.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't expect much from AO4. While he may be able to make the throws Jimmy can't, he's still a day 3 rookie prospect who is mentally figuring out the game. 

He and DTR in Cleveland both shined in pre-season. Given starts, they quickly feel to the jump in competition. Both looked erratic, struggled with ball placement and accuracy and took sacks holding onto the ball to long. 

No problem with AO4 getting starts, but he's not going elevate this team anymore than where they are at currently imo. More splash plays maybe, but they will come with bad sacks and turnovers. 

It is possible we see some progression from AO4 in his next start if he makes it. The 1H vs 2H was night and day

However, I’m sure we don’t see Jimmy again.  Do we make a move for a QB at the deadline? 

11 hours ago, Totty said:

This is why I don't even care to give it a go. 

We've looked like we're just a QB away....but we've played the drizzling turds of the league so far. The fact we're barely beating some of them tells me more than the W/L record. We're 6 weeks into the season amd have played exactly 1 team with a winning record, much less any legitimate playoff hopes, amd they slaughtered us (Pittsburgh is 3-2 and on a bye, so I guess they technically count too, but they have zero playoff hopes).

Denver is bad. New England is bad. Pittsburgh is bad. Green Bay isn't bottomed out yet, but they're certainly not trending positively. LA isn't particularly good and Staley is a massive choker. 

Hell, New England and Denver are both legit contenders for the number 1 pick FFS while Pittsburgh and Green Bay could be amongst our competitors for a QBOTF. Russell Wilson, Kenny Pickett, Jordan Love, and Mac Jones are bottom 5-6 QBs in the league at this point, so I'm still not even sold on what "improvements" we're seeing not being a mirage. 

Beyond that surface level, our offense just isn't a QB away. We scheme our best guys out of games almost entirely and the blocking is suspect. Jimmy isn't good, but we're still a team that isn't good around the QB either whether it be supporting cast, coaching, or sideline decision making. I don't care that Josh can sit down with a notebook and draw some X's, O's, and squiggles. I don't care that his play designs look good from time to time, as that's worthless if the guy can't find talent or make adjustments or not make boneheaded calls. It will never matter that his system is good if he lacks the HC traits. The Legion of Boom defense was systematically and schematically great, but Seattle's prime DC's were astounding duds as HC's. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Why wouldn't he? The issue is not the offense, it's the QB. Stroud is refined.  A dream in the pocket, throws with accuracy and anticipation at all levels of the field. Can create when needed. 

With guys like Adams and Meyers, his skillset would sync up perfectly. I'm sure that was apparent to the staff when they tried to trade for him.

Brutal man I wanted stroud so bad. He'd be absolutely cooking in this offense rn. Hitting tucker deep. Feeding adams meters and mayer. Hate to see it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

We could have dove with that extra first round pick from Derek Carr really 😟

• Like 4