Week 7 GDT : GB @ DEN

broncos67

Well, other than ARI losing, that was quite the draft-pick fest of crazy games this week.   Ours included.

Maybe this is the game that makes the diff, but keep in mind everyone just lost except ARI (CAR doesn't matter I think we can concede that they're getting 1.1 lol).   Still a lot of season left.  

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What a joke. FTS 

What a mistake to win. I hope everyone enjoys this BS victory when we’re drafting 9 and taking a flier on some gimmick option offense QB or another “all pro” position oick like PS2.

Blame that stupid ref who called a stupid holding call when the Broncos were offsides. Give me a call like that in the 2030's when the Broncos are in the playoffs, not now.

Crazy that we've ended up in a place where people in here are actually mad that we won a game midway through the season. I get the sentiment. But of the top 10 QB's in the NFL right now, only two were top 5 picks. Meanwhile, the list of QB's taken in the top 5 since 2018: Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Trever Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, and Anthony Richardson. Being a top 5 pick doesn't guarantee a thing. 

I would rather watch this team fight, claw and scratch its way to a 5-12 record than purposely tank an entire season just to reach on some overhyped idiot like Caleb Williams. Ah yes, Caleb Williams. The guy who is already so full of his own bullsh*t that he actually thinks he deserves an ownership stake in the team that's stupid enough to draft him. Bo Nix will be a better pro than Williams. And he'll be available between 5 and 10. I get that you gotta have your franchise QB. But the damage you do to that locker room by purposely losing creates a toxic environment in which NO QB will succeed.  

• Like 3

I've been pretty vocal about how I can't root for the Broncos to lose. That said, this was about as bad of an outcome you could have if we're honest. 

Offense still sputtering, Defense still bad outside of the redzone, young players still not given enough touches, pull out a win against a really poor opponent to worsen our draft position. Not ideal.

I don't really see what we can take out of that game to move forward as a team; I guess that is what I'm trying to say.

EDIT - really happy for PJ Locke, though. He's had some rotten luck as a pro. Seems like every time a injury happens to a Jackson / Simmons / Sterns then Locke goes down/is already hurt, so to see him get his chance and take it with Jackson out was really cool.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Crazy that we've ended up in a place where people in here are actually mad that we won a game midway through the season. I get the sentiment. But of the top 10 QB's in the NFL right now, only two were top 5 picks. Meanwhile, the list of QB's taken in the top 5 since 2018: Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Kyler Murray, Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa, Trever Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, and Anthony Richardson. Being a top 5 pick doesn't guarantee a thing. 

I would rather watch this team fight, claw and scratch its way to a 5-12 record than purposely tank an entire season just to reach on some overhyped idiot like Caleb Williams. Ah yes, Caleb Williams. The guy who is already so full of his own bullsh*t that he actually thinks he deserves an ownership stake in the team that's stupid enough to draft him. Bo Nix will be a better pro than Williams. And he'll be available between 5 and 10. I get that you gotta have your franchise QB. But the damage you do to that locker room by purposely losing creates a toxic environment in which NO QB will succeed.  

Whilst I would usually be inclined to agree with all of this, the problem that is that we just didn't really get much to carry forward into next week in that game. The opponent was just so poor and we scraped past them. I know it's the NFL and a win is a win, but all logic tells us that if we play that way against the remaining part of our schedule, we're going to get crushed so what good does this W do?

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Whilst I would usually be inclined to agree with all of this, the problem that is that we just didn't really get much to carry forward into next week in that game. The opponent was just so poor and we scraped past them. I know it's the NFL and a win is a win, but all logic tells us that if we play that way against the remaining part of our schedule, we're going to get crushed so what good does this W do?

Oh I totally get it, I can’t even say that I disagree with that sentiment. I just think you have to be very careful when the word tanking starts getting tossed around. That’s a dangerous slope, and one that can cause a lot of damage to a locker room. The ideal scenario at this point would be to see this team fight hard all season and still end up with a top 5 pick. But I guess I’d rather see us picking at 8 or 9 knowing we fought hard all year than picking at 2 knowing we tanked.

Depressing time to be a Denver fan. It’s crazy to think that at one point not too many years ago, this franchise had more Super Bowl appearances than losing seasons. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Oh I totally get it, I can’t even say that I disagree with that sentiment. I just think you have to be very careful when the word tanking starts getting tossed around. That’s a dangerous slope, and one that can cause a lot of damage to a locker room. The ideal scenario at this point would be to see this team fight hard all season and still end up with a top 5 pick. But I guess I’d rather see us picking at 8 or 9 knowing we fought hard all year than picking at 2 knowing we tanked.

Depressing time to be a Denver fan. It’s crazy to think that at one point not too many years ago, this franchise had more Super Bowl appearances than losing seasons. 

I don’t think players or coaches tank.  There isn’t enough job security.    GM’s and FO are a different story.   Payton might be the exception to the rule in terms of security.  But overall this holds.  

But if the players play hard then taking a L is more than OK when the result is access to special talents.   A perennial culture to want losing is tough.  It’s why I want to see the team play hard and try.  And I want to see the young guys be better as the season progresses.  But I’m never upset if the team loses when it’s a lost year.   It’s just too bad we’re seeing lost years too many times of late.  

We would have been far better served if Elway didn’t sign stopgap T & DL / CB and the Case Keenums / Joe Flacco’s of the world in the 2017-9 era and get young and look to future years.  I love what Elway did as a GM until that era.   We’re facing a similar situation now.   So rooting for L’s in this draft year with the talent available is just about losing the battle but getting key pieces to win the war. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

At what point do we start worrying about that Riley Moss selection, by the way?

On a team with maybe the worst CB depth in the league, he can't get himself on the gameday active roster.

We gave up a high 4th and more importantly, a 2024 3rd (likely to be high) for him. Its not looking great, is it?

We should just stop trading with the Seahawks. Like, ever. We've all been scarred for life with the Alphonzo Smith and Russell Wilson trades as it is.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

At what point do we start worrying about that Riley Moss selection, by the way?

On a team with maybe the worst CB depth in the league, he can't get himself on the gameday active roster.

We gave up a high 4th and more importantly, a 2024 3rd (likely to be high) for him. Its not looking great, is it?

We should just stop trading with the Seahawks. Like, ever. We've all been scarred for life with the Alphonzo Smith and Russell Wilson trades as it is.

I would say no to this specific one just cause we've seen a trend where Sean tends to favor vets and won't give nearly any opportunities to rookies, even when they are flashing

14 hours ago, 1234567 said:

I'm thinking Caleb Williams is Michael Vick v2. 

53 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'm thinking Caleb Williams is Michael Vick v2. 

Justin Fields is Vick 2.0 (and he’s got an OC who doesn’t call designed runs for him 🙄). Caleb’s comp in terms of playing style is somewhere between Mahomes and Dak. His ceiling is closer to the latter than the former, imo.