The MVP race

Steelersfan43

1. CMC - I really think he is the one opening everything as he is as dynamic in the passing game as Aiyuk and Deebo while being among the best runners in the league too. Purdy has been great, but it is YAC that drives that offense and CMC does for himself and opens it for others

2. Tyreek Hill
3. Dak Prescott
4. Lamar Jackson
5. CJ Stroud

18 hours ago, lancerman said:

This would be true if the award was always given to QB's, but historically it hasn't been. The voters and media just dramatically changed how much they weigh the criteria of "valuable" now. And even then it's sort of a bs criteria. It's just used to give it to a QB with the best stats, it's never really given to the QB who is dragging the least talented team the furthest. So even then value is dubious. 

I'm not sure about this. Rather, I'd say that the QB position has become more important in the past two decades and the voting has reflected this change. 

A QB in the 1990s had less impact on the game than QBs following Peyton Manning and the rule changed implemented in the 2000s. Peyton Manning of course revolutionized the QB as OC shift by controlling so much of the offense at the LOS presnap. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mse326 said:

1. CMC - I really think he is the one opening everything as he is as dynamic in the passing game as Aiyuk and Deebo while being among the best runners in the league too. Purdy has been great, but it is YAC that drives that offense and CMC does for himself and opens it for others

2. Tyreek Hill
3. Dak Prescott
4. Lamar Jackson
5. CJ Stroud

YAC isn't driving the offense as much as you might think:

CMC certain makes life easier on Purdy, but it's not like Purdy is just taking two step drops and throwing it to CMC in the flats for TDs all the time. 

Purdy is pushing the ball 20+ yards frequently. Yes, he has Aiyuk as a reliable deep threat, but so did Jimmy and he could never unlock that part of Aiyuk's game. With Purdy, Aiyuk is fully unlocked. 

30 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I'm not sure about this. Rather, I'd say that the QB position has become more important in the past two decades and the voting has reflected this change. 

A QB in the 1990s had less impact on the game than QBs following Peyton Manning and the rule changed implemented in the 2000s. Peyton Manning of course revolutionized the QB as OC shift by controlling so much of the offense at the LOS presnap. 

This.  At this point keep MVP as it is, a QB award, because any given year there are likely half a dozen QB's more valuable than any other player in the league.  What I think they should do is exclude QB's from the Offensive Player of the Year award so people with extraordinary years like Tyreke or CMC can still be rightly honored, even though they aren't even close to as valuable as the top QB's.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mse326 said:

2. Tyreek Hill
3. Dak Prescott
4. Lamar Jackson
5. CJ Stroud

You wouldn't have Hurts top 5?

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

This.  At this point keep MVP as it is, a QB award, because any given year there are likely half a dozen QB's more valuable than any other player in the league.  What I think they should do is exclude QB's from the Offensive Player of the Year award so people with extraordinary years like Tyreke or CMC can still be rightly honored, even though they aren't even close to as valuable as the top QB's.

Yea, I kind of wish they changed the name of the award to like.. Most Outstanding Player?

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Yea, I kind of wish they changed the name of the award to like.. Most Outstanding Player?

Too much history on the award at this point, and honestly, I don't think it should change.  Top QB's will always be more instrumental in winning than the top players at any other position.  They are in fact the most valuable.  A GM will choose a franchise HoF level QB over a HoF level player at any other position 10 times out of 10 if they don't have a franchise QB.  Just exclude QB from Offensive Player of the Year award and let all the other positions battle it out for that while the top QB's only battle for MVP.

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Give it a few years and it'll be the Most Valuable Player Award Sponsored by FanDuel.

Except it will be sponsored by whatever the largest betting site in China is.  The Melbet Most Valuable Player Award.

I think right now it has to be between Dak and Purdy.

I would say the only reason why Tyreek shouldnt win the MVP is bc if you give it to him then that says alot about Kupp not getting it in 2021 when Kupp almost broke the receptions record and the receiving yards record and he had 16 tds. Right now Hill has 93 catches compared to Kupp 145 in 2021 (5 short of the record). Hill has 1481yds receiving compared to Kupp 1947yds receiving. So assume Hill will break that alone with the record. Hill has 12 receiving tds compared to Kupp 16 tds in 2021. I think Hill will at least tie if not surpass 16 tds. But my point again is Kupp was the triple crown and while Hill looks to get the receiving yards record and at least have the same amount of tds as Kupp had in 2021, he wont even come close to the receptions that Kupp had. Hill wont be the triple crown winner and if Kupp didnt win the MVP in 2021 then Hill shouldnt win the MVP this season.

If I had to choose between Dak and Purdy I would give it to Dak. He has been playing way better than Purdy in the last 6 or so games. Purdy had that three game stretch recently where he struggled really bad and the Niners were on a 3 game losing streak. Dak has looked sensational. Now this upcoming stretch for Dak is going to determine if he actually will win it. He has the Eagles in a HUGE game. Then he has the Dolphins and Bills both on the road. Then he has the Lions. So if he can continue to play extremely well and he has to WIN I think he will get it bc he will have the numbers, playing great as the season went on and the team would be the NFCE winner and possibly the 2nd seed if not the 1 seed depending on how the Niners finish. 

• Like 1

I feel like Purdy is gaining ground in the MVP race based on the game he played last Sunday and that seems absurd to me. Now, he played a decent game, but most of his big plays came off of screens to Deebo and him doing most of the work for TDs. Hell, the TD throw to Aiyuk wasn't that good of a pass.

I guess putting up good stats on paper against a 10-2 team on the road was enough to move the needle.

10 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

I feel like Purdy is gaining ground in the MVP race based on the game he played last Sunday and that seems absurd to me. Now, he played a decent game, but most of his big plays came off of screens to Deebo and him doing most of the work for TDs. Hell, the TD throw to Aiyuk wasn't that good of a pass.

I guess putting up good stats on paper against a 10-2 team on the road was enough to move the needle.

It's like @Soggust (I think?) said a few weeks ago; the voters are not going to examine individual throws and plays from Week 13, they're going to look at bulk stats, wins, and narrative.

11 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

Purdy took what the Eagles defense gave him, and that was an elite pass rush that didn't give time for receivers to get open deep downfield and linebackers who couldn't cover or tackle. If you can turn quick, easy passes into big gains you'd obviously take that over riskier throws. When he's needed to go deep he's been able to do that well, too. He'll never have a cannon like Allen/Mahomes/Herbert but he's fully capable of making almost all the throws a QB is asked to make in normal situations.

Edited by jonnguy2015