The MVP race

Steelersfan43

21 minutes ago, Soggust said:

PFF coming around on him.

They have him top 5 on the season despite having him 17th through first 9 games.

We usually make all QBs wait a year and a halfish before crowning them top 3 (we even did this with Burrow). Mahomes was an exception but that was like a top 3 season ever.

So, if Brock maintains play and is a top 5ish PFF player next year, then he's a legit top 3-5 QB right?

No, we need his WRs to fall down as soon as they catch the ball, his passes need to go thru 4 of those sonic rings before they get to the WR, and his OL has to consist of D3 players, also his coach has to be Matt Canada

24 minutes ago, Soggust said:

They have him top 5 on the season despite having him 17th through first 9 games.

We usually make all QBs wait a year and a halfish before crowning them top 3 (we even did this with Burrow). Mahomes was an exception but that was like a top 3 season ever.

So, if Brock maintains play and is a top 5ish PFF player next year, then he's a legit top 3-5 QB right?

Hypothetically, he wins the MVP and SB MVP this year and has another Pro Bowl/All Pro caliber season? I think some definitely put him in the top 5 but then there will always be those that refuse acknowledge what he is doing and say he is a product of Shanahan and the supporting cast. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

If you take the "valuable" part out of it, it wouldn't be going to a QB at all this year.

Sure it would. 

Tyreek isn't 2023 Tyreek with Mike White at QB.

CMC isn't having this type of season without the Purdy effect, please don't argue Sam Darnold would be fine!

Chiefs aren't a playoff team without Mahomes.

Eagles aren't a playoff team without Hurts

Ravens aren't a playoff team without Lamar

Bills are not a Playoff team without Allen

The most valuable player to any team is always thier FQB, period. However if they renamed the award the MOP (Most Outstanding Player) Award other players would and should have a shot.

Edited by Nabbs4u

26 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Purdy has been great all year IMO. He had a bad game vs the Browns, bad 4th quarters vs the Vikings & Bengals, but for the most part he's been great all season. 

Like PFF said he didn't have any big time throws the first 2 games but he had a beautiful back shoulder TD to Aiyuk week 1. He also made Minkah Fitzpatrick miss on a blitz & threw a pass downfield to Deebo for a 1st down so idk what their criteria is sometimes.

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Hypothetically, he wins the MVP and SB MVP this year and has another Pro Bowl/All Pro caliber season? I think some definitely put him in the top 5 but then there will always be those that refuse acknowledge what he is doing and say he is a product of Shanahan and the supporting cast. 

I think Purdy is a product of the system. That’s perfectly fine, but I really don’t think he would thrive elsewhere.

I think his contract is gonna be interesting. He kinda needs SF, but SF also can’t really gamble on a different QB either with how much is tied up with the rest of their team.

I feel like they’re gonna pay him absurd money for production they could get elsewhere. That said, he’s elite within that scheme and someone else with similar skills would probably just be “solid/good.”

4 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think Purdy is a product of the system. That’s perfectly fine, but I really don’t think he would thrive elsewhere.

I think his contract is gonna be interesting. He kinda needs SF, but SF also can’t really gamble on a different QB either with how much is tied up with the rest of their team.

I feel like they’re gonna pay him absurd money for production they could get elsewhere. That said, he’s elite within that scheme and someone else with similar skills would probably just be “solid/good.”

Deebos gone in 2 years, he’ll have Kittle CMC and Aiyuk, I hope Bell turns into a good WR

5 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

these takes are wild given the system is like all the teams at this point 49ers, Rams, Green Bay, Miami, Jets, Texans, Bengals, Vikings

the other system is Reid at this point as the other trees are getting fired (Bill Belichick is finally his only branch and potentially getting traded/released; and the Frank Reich tree lost Frank Reich and maybe Eberflus at years end (Siriani and Gannon the others)

I think Stenfanski is basically Shanahan tree given his work with the core group in offseasons developing QBs and whatnot with the QB collective. If you called like Aidan OConnell a system QB or whatever sure that's a knock. Brock's system is basically the system at this point.

What's the other system in the NFL that Brock would need to succeed in to stop this stupid knock?

4 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think its weird to think that he couldn't succeed with Philly's offense or Dallas' offense or something. Hell, I think he'd do well with Detroit's. These teams can't cry poverty. 

I dunno how good Purdy is, and I think being a system QB is fine, but I definitely don't think it's a situation where he could only succeed in this situation

7 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

When watching the 49ers most people observe running backs with huge lanes and WRs running completely wide open with little pressure to the QB. Which is why a mediocre QB like Jimmy G could produce like a top 3 QB in this offense. I think Purdy is better than Jimmy G, but I'm hesitant to crown a guy playing with great players, great offensive coaching, and great defense because he hasn't been put in difficult situations. 

It appears you have never watched Purdy play and I’d guess never watched Jimmy G either. You’ve watched some highlights and some analysts discuss the MVP race. For those of us who watch the games, we see the timing and anticipation, decision making, and accuracy that Jimmy G certainly didn’t have and very few QBs have even by their second or third contract.  

I don’t know/care if he wins it. But the disparity in opinions on Purdy is insane. I’m excited to see how he’s ranked by the other players after this year. 

I’ll also say, on nearly every play somebody is open at some point. If you want to point out what a QB is missing, it’s easy to go watch the tape and get frustrated with the missed opportunities. Purdy’s brain, not his arm, is his biggest tool. He doesn’t need to squeeze it in a lot of the time because he throws at the right time.  Watch tape of any QB making an amazing throw, and most of the time you’ll see what would have been an easier read that would have been just as successful. Sure it’s a great throw, but is that any better than the guy who just runs the offense right and hits the guy at the right time? 

Watch the Niner games, not just a couple highlights. You’ll see somebody who makes it look easy because of the preparation, intelligence and decision making. Josh Allen looks better when he guns it in there or puts his shoulder down, but he certainly isn’t taking the easy route. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Purdy probably wouldn't do very well if his OC was, say, Matt Canada or Nathaniel Hackett, but pair him with, say, Andy Reid(with better WRs than what the Chiefs have now), Mike McDaniel, or Sean McVay and I think he'd still be a solid QB. Even without an elite playcaller like the aforementioned he'd also probably look at least as good as Jake Browning does right now on the Bengals, and I think the Cowboys and Eagles have enough weapons for him to succeed, though he's a worse fit than Dak or Hurts for those offenses

Edited by jonnguy2015

The hilarious part is that if Purdy had been a 2nd round pick and absolutely everything else was exactly the same he'd be a consensus MVP.

People fighting it because he was a 7th round pick.

It's a little odd to me, typically the "underdog" gets a swell of support. This is legitimately a really cool story I thought. He's likeable. And he's ******* killing it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The hilarious part is that if Purdy had been a 2nd round pick and absolutely everything else was exactly the same he'd be a consensus MVP.

People fighting it because he was a 7th round pick.

It's a little odd to me, typically the "underdog" gets a swell of support. This is legitimately a really cool story I thought. He's likeable. And he's ******* killing it.

Hard not to kill it with all these amazing players around him don’t kill me 49ers fans lol.

Edited by Blackstar12
  • Like 1