2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

When will Tory Taylor go ?? 

I think 122 is probably about the right place to snap him up ...its hard to use one of OnLY 4 picks on a Punter but he should be a worthy weapon for next decade... 

6'4 235, Aussie. Not sure he makes it out of the 4th 

On 3/22/2024 at 6:09 PM, SLCbear said:

Keenan Allen ONLY plays slot 

bNns655.jpeg

Does he? He hasn’t gone over 60% of snaps in the slot in any of his last few seasons. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Well, well, well….look who comes craaaaawling back.

Yeah must’ve gotten my **** tossed by a 6’5 240 lb hunk of a man in cabo 

• Like 3

I got to spend some time this past week with my guys who are close to/inside he organization as well as a couple others around the league. Ive mentioned that I know these guys a few times, and while they will never give me definitives, Ill share a few things that came up in conversation;

• The pick is Caleb, there will likely be the expected made up reports about Maye at some point, but its unlikely that narrative comes from anywhere inside Halas. I even asked about a Laremy Tunsil situation and they said in all likelihood they would still take him and figure it out later. The entire league learned from the Tunsil night, and the panic over-reaction that let him slip, every team regretted it. So unless its some brand new major legal situation, that process is basically done and they are on to #9
  • Speaking of, as of today absolutely everything is on the Table for #9. Receiver, Tackle, best Defensive Player, Trade Down. So dont let anyone tell you they "know" what is happening there, because they like all those options, and just have to weigh them all.
  • The contingent behind drafting one of the OTs is VERY real. Braxton is looked at as fine/solid but also maxed out on talent. And with all the immediate help they have committed to making this the best situation that a Rookie #1 overall pick has ever walked into, why would you stop now, when you can possibly get another Franchise player at the 2nd/3rd most important spot?
  • But there is also some real excitement that they could get the best Offensiove prospect (Caleb) and also have the "best defensive player" fall into their laps at #9 overall. I didnt get who they currently think that prospect is, but Defense is just as much on the table as any of the offensive prospects
  • They feel fine with just the 4 picks, yes getting more draft capital is great, and they would be ready to use it. But it was conscious to keep the Cap space ready and use the later round picks for an exact situation like Keenan Allen. (our ability to let Allen keep all his money as is this year was very important to getting that deal done) So I dont think they are desperately looking to move down just to get a couple of picks on Day 3. Would have to be a good return to move away from the talent that will still be on the board at #9
  • They are still looking for another 3-tech, that could be FA or the Draft, but someone who can come in and take steps like they have done with Dexter, have them be a menacing duo. Also will obviously be adding an Edge guy too.
  • They really like the depth of this WR class. While the Top 3 are the obvious Top 3, the drop to the #10 prospect is not all that much in their eyes.
  • I dont think we will be picking Brock Bowers. Obviously a fantastic talent, but all of the guys (not just bears) kind of backed off when I brought him up. Sounds like there is serious worry with the ankle, and the worry about highly drafted TEs has crept back into the league. Obviously were brining him in, and that could change, but there are already some concerns about enough balls to go around to the TEs we already have, especially since we just Paid the home grown one. In a trade back, he becomes much more likely
  • I heard it brought up more than once that some are trying to pitch Velus to be a RB, not a WR. Hasnt been embraced yet, but everyone agrees once he has the ball in his hands he is dynamic, but getting it there has been the issue.

Overall, the end of the 2023 season completely reshaped the vision of the 2024 season. Seems like they always felt confident they were getting this year to prove themselves (that was always the plan, Ive been saying it this whole time) but the combo of the winning down the stretch with the Defense taking a massive jump, AND suddenly getting #1 overall and Caleb, they have sights set on being a playoff team right now instead of thinking they will have to prove themselves. 

Again, some of these nuggets were directly said, some of them are me taking what they said/hinted to their obvious conclusion, So it will be fun see how all of these play out in the next moth+

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I got to spend some time this past week with my guys who are close to/inside he organization as well as a couple others around the league. Ive mentioned that I know these guys a few times, and while they will never give me definitives, Ill share a few things that came up in conversation;

• The pick is Caleb, there will likely be the expected made up reports about Maye at some point, but its unlikely that narrative comes from anywhere inside Halas. I even asked about a Laremy Tunsil situation and they said in all likelihood they would still take him and figure it out later. The entire league learned from the Tunsil night, and the panic over-reaction that let him slip, every team regretted it. So unless its some brand new major legal situation, that process is basically done and they are on to #9
  • Speaking of, as of today absolutely everything is on the Table for #9. Receiver, Tackle, best Defensive Player, Trade Down. So dont let anyone tell you they "know" what is happening there, because they like all those options, and just have to weigh them all.
  • The contingent behind drafting one of the OTs is VERY real. Braxton is looked at as fine/solid but also maxed out on talent. And with all the immediate help they have committed to making this the best situation that a Rookie #1 overall pick has ever walked into, why would you stop now, when you can possibly get another Franchise player at the 2nd/3rd most important spot?
  • But there is also some real excitement that they could get the best Offensiove prospect (Caleb) and also have the "best defensive player" fall into their laps at #9 overall. I didnt get who they currently think that prospect is, but Defense is just as much on the table as any of the offensive prospects
  • They feel fine with just the 4 picks, yes getting more draft capital is great, and they would be ready to use it. But it was conscious to keep the Cap space ready and use the later round picks for an exact situation like Keenan Allen. (our ability to let Allen keep all his money as is this year was very important to getting that deal done) So I dont think they are desperately looking to move down just to get a couple of picks on Day 3. Would have to be a good return to move away from the talent that will still be on the board at #9
  • They are still looking for another 3-tech, that could be FA or the Draft, but someone who can come in and take steps like they have done with Dexter, have them be a menacing duo. Also will obviously be adding an Edge guy too.
  • They really like the depth of this WR class. While the Top 3 are the obvious Top 3, the drop to the #10 prospect is not all that much in their eyes.
  • I dont think we will be picking Brock Bowers. Obviously a fantastic talent, but all of the guys (not just bears) kind of backed off when I brought him up. Sounds like there is serious worry with the ankle, and the worry about highly drafted TEs has crept back into the league. Obviously were brining him in, and that could change, but there are already some concerns about enough balls to go around to the TEs we already have, especially since we just Paid the home grown one. In a trade back, he becomes much more likely
  • I heard it brought up more than once that some are trying to pitch Velus to be a RB, not a WR. Hasnt been embraced yet, but everyone agrees once he has the ball in his hands he is dynamic, but getting it there has been the issue.

Overall, the end of the 2023 season completely reshaped the vision of the 2024 season. Seems like they always felt confident they were getting this year to prove themselves (that was always the plan, Ive been saying it this whole time) but the combo of the winning down the stretch with the Defense taking a massive jump, AND suddenly getting #1 overall and Caleb, they have sights set on being a playoff team right now instead of thinking they will have to prove themselves. 

Again, some of these nuggets were directly said, some of them are me taking what they said/hinted to their obvious conclusion, So it will be fun see how all of these play out in the next moth+

All of that makes sense from a common sense standpoint.

Meaning it agrees with what I think.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Meaning it agrees with what I think.

HA exactly

One other thing, it did seem like they were very Heavy on the keep Justin idea after Week 17, even with getting #1 from Carolina. But when watching the playoffs (specifically the KC/BUF game) it seemed like the whole building came in and realized together we just need one of those guys, and the path to that level is less cluttered for Caleb

I think thats why its been so hard for Poles to trade JF. They all know there is still talent in there, its just you have to crack the code, and it comes down to is it worth trying to do that and maybe still end up with a fun but average QB at the end of the day? And the answer is no, not if you expect to compete with Mahomes, Allen, Hurts, Jackson, Herbert and now potentially Stroud and Love.

• Like 2

Asking in the context of the “WR/OT v. top defensive player” conundrum:

How good of a fit is Turner in this defense? He seems pretty small for a full-time DE. If we’re locked into Flus and an even-front defense, does that size cause any concern? Does it clarify the decision between one of Odunze/Alt/Fashanu and Turner?

40 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

But there is also some real excitement that they could get the best Offensiove prospect (Caleb) and also have the "best defensive player" fall into their laps at #9 overall. I didnt get who they currently think that prospect is, but Defense is just as much on the table as any of the offensive prospects

I can see Murphy or Newton after a trade down being the guys they target. i think they really like the DEs in this class but the best place to get that top of the line 3T is in the 1st round

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think Shane can make Velus a WR.  If not, then Velus was a RB at USC! lolz....😁