CFB coaching carousel- 2023-24 edition

thrILL!

3 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

LOL

I mean it kinda makes sense what he's asking for:

Harbaugh is seeking a matrix of fines be spelled out if there are any future NCAA violations as well as prohibiting the school’s athletic director from firing him “for cause” and instead having that decision, should it ever arise, rest in a three-member arbitration panel, sources said.

Basically, Michigan could still fire him, but they'd have to pay him. If I were Harbaugh I'd ask for the same thing whether I did it or not.

This part's funnier IMO:

Harbaugh is also seeking a delay in the start date of the new contract to maintain a lower buyout that NFL teams would have to pay Michigan to hire him away. The buyout in his current contract dropped from $2.25 million to $1.5 million on January 11. Michigan is seeking that to rise to about $4 million in a new deal. Harbaugh has sought to have the new deal not start until Feb. 15, thus maintaining the lower, and more favorable, buyout number until after the NFL hiring cycle has concluded.

Who is the owner willing to not hire Harbaugh over a $750k buyout and why is it obviously Dean Spanos?

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean it kinda makes sense what he's asking for:

Basically, Michigan could still fire him, but they'd have to pay him. If I were Harbaugh I'd ask for the same thing whether I did it or not.

This part's funnier IMO:

Who is the owner willing to not hire Harbaugh over a $750k buyout and why is it obviously Dean Spanos?

Thought there were clauses that already protected an employee's money but maybe not against such allegations that the team is facing. I figured w/ everything going on, asking for such things is weird and looks bad.... then again, he's a really ******* weird guy so I should've thought about it that way.

14 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Thought there were clauses that already protected an employee's money but maybe not against such allegations that the team is facing. I figured w/ everything going on, asking for such things is weird and looks bad.... then again, he's a really ******* weird guy so I should've thought about it that way.

The money is guaranteed if he is fired for performance, not if he is fired for cause. Harbaugh is saying that if he's fired for cause he should still get the money.

I think it's way scummier of Michigan to offer the guy an extension and not put something like this in there. Both sides already know he did something that Michigan could fire him for cause over, so Michigan already knows they aren't really offering him any security. It's completely underhanded. Having that type of eject button clause makes sense if Michigan legitimately would be blindsided by something they didn't know about, but they obviously do in this case.

If it's truly such a big deal that on Day 2 of the contract they could decide to fire Harbaugh and make the whole thing null and void, then they shouldn't sign him to an extension at all and they should fire him.

Michigan is making Harbaugh look bad here in an attempt to eat their cake and have it too.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Not if they can argue "for cause"

edit: what rams said

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The money is guaranteed if he is fired for performance, not if he is fired for cause. Harbaugh is saying that if he's fired for cause he should still get the money.

I think it's way scummier of Michigan to offer the guy an extension and not put something like this in there. Both sides already know he did something that Michigan could fire him for cause over, so Michigan already knows they aren't really offering him any security. It's completely underhanded. Having that type of eject button clause makes sense if Michigan legitimately would be blindsided by something they didn't know about, but they obviously do in this case.

If it's truly such a big deal that on Day 2 of the contract they could decide to fire Harbaugh and make the whole thing null and void, then they shouldn't sign him to an extension at all and they should fire him.

Michigan is making Harbaugh look bad here in an attempt to eat their cake and have it too.

This is a good perspective I hadn't considered and it makes sense. 

• Like 1

Michigan is in a weird spot in their coaching search. Pretty clearly the most cohesive thing they can do is to just make Sherone Moore the head coach. They would retain the guys I imagine that arent going with Harbaugh to the Chargers coaching staff. They would also I imagine avoid a chunk of the exodus I would expect with a total coaching turnover. In the long run though, there are probably better coaching options out there. With what’s coming or could come though from the NCAA, there could be a limitations on who would step into that.

15 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Michigan is in a weird spot in their coaching search. Pretty clearly the most cohesive thing they can do is to just make Sherone Moore the head coach. They would retain the guys I imagine that arent going with Harbaugh to the Chargers coaching staff. They would also I imagine avoid a chunk of the exodus I would expect with a total coaching turnover. In the long run though, there are probably better coaching options out there. With what’s coming or could come though from the NCAA, there could be a limitations on who would step into that.

It looks to me like Harbaugh will set things up to make that the easiest thing. 

Has there ever been an exodus from a defending champion* like we're seeing at Michigan? Feel like everyone knows what's going on...

I kinda feel bad for Moore but then I remember he was (supposedly) getting info from a low level staffer and I don't care any longer. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

24 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Has there ever been an exodus from a defending champion* like we're seeing at Michigan? Feel like everyone knows what's going on...

I kinda feel bad for Moore but then I remember he was (supposedly) getting info from a low level staffer and I don't care any longer. 

Don't think it's atypical for a coach to take good coaches with him.

Think a lot of the NCAA coaches bouncing is due to NIL as well. Coaching in college isn't worth it.

I also think Harbaugh has such a huge ego he doesn't want Moore to outshine him so he's tearing it down and taking it with him 

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

Don't think it's atypical for a coach to take good coaches with him.

Think a lot of the NCAA coaches bouncing is due to NIL as well. Coaching in college isn't worth it.

I also think Harbaugh has such a huge ego he doesn't want Moore to outshine him so he's tearing it down and taking it with him 

I think there's around 8-9 assistants or coaches that left. Just seems very high to me and I don't think they've filled many of them and it's getting pretty late to do so. 

I could be very wrong though as we don't see coaches go from college to the NFL, as a head coach, very often. Was trying to remember how many went with Carroll. 

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I think there's around 8-9 assistants or coaches that left. Just seems very high to me and I don't think they've filled many of them and it's getting pretty late to do so. 

I could be very wrong though as we don't see coaches go from college to the NFL, as a head coach, very often. Was trying to remember how many went with Carroll. 

They have filled a lot of them internally. Right now they are looking at DC candidate from NFL but a lot of other stuff was internal backfill to date.