Watson done for season

MWil23

30 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

With 1 year? Too high, he’s not Chase Young.

I think you go 5th for a 1 year half year rental not good enough to start for his own team.

29 minutes ago, Trojan said:

the asking price was the same for Jacoby Brissett and Chase Young? I'd say that's too high.

In fairness to them, the asking price for Chase (2nd + 5th) was originally a lot higher than what they ended up settling for. It seems they wanted to get rid of Chase for whatever they could get, whereas they were content keeping Brissett if the price wasn’t right. I think we’re all assuming there were some character/personality clashes there with Chase, but pretty much nobody’s ever said an unkind word about Jacoby Brissett, and he seems to be working well with Sam Howell. 

I agree, though, I felt like that price was unreasonably high. I would have thought a late 4th (likely with a later pick swap to send a little more value back to CLE) would be a pretty fair meeting place. Chase is obviously the better player, but I will say that his half-season impact would assuredly be less than Brissett’s would have turned out to be — pretty much no DE could ever singlehandedly save a team’s season, as Brissett could have done for the Browns in this situation.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Darn. You hate to see it. That's a shame. Couldn't have happened to a better person.

I do feel bad for Cleveland's fans though. They deserve better and with an actual QB this could've been a good year for them.

Most of them.

The one's who are constantly like "LoL wiLl iNjUrY pRoNE LamAr eVer fIniSH a sEaSoN aGaiN?!" all offseason tho? Hell yeah

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well good on Browns coaching staff for seeing what everyone else could (and yes, I did call it b4 FTW lol!).   DTR SZN begins.

Let's be clear, he looked awful his 1st game, but he found out 1.5 hours before game time he was starting <against the Baltimore Ravens defense>, and wasn't even close to prepped in practice to play given the Browns org had cleared Watson to go.   So while it's not likely DTR is the answer, there's at least a chance he can be that guy in 1-2 more weeks at an O'Connell type level, which is all CLE D needs most games.    PJ Walker is NOT that guy -- A million percent agree

Good move Stefanski & co.

Just now, e16bball said:

In fairness to them, the asking price for Chase (2nd + 5th) was originally a lot higher than what they ended up settling for. It seems they wanted to get rid of Chase for whatever they could get, whereas they were content keeping Brissett if the price wasn’t right. I think we’re all assuming there were some character/personality clashes there with Chase, but pretty much nobody’s ever said an unkind word about Jacoby Brissett, and he seems to be working well with Sam Howell. 

I agree, though, I felt like that price was unreasonably high. I would have thought a late 4th (likely with a later pick swap to send a little more value back to CLE) would be a pretty fair meeting place. Chase is obviously the better player, but I will say that his half-season impact would assuredly be less than Brissett’s would have turned out to be — pretty much no DE could ever singlehandedly save a team’s season, as Brissett could have done for the Browns in this situation.

All true, but when the starting point is so far above realistic that is a dealbreaker. I’ll sell my home for $1 million won’t even get a counter offer.

Chase likely fetches a high end compensation pick when he walks, value recouped. Brissett maybe helps some but it’s a total sunk cost.

Just now, MWil23 said:

All true, but when the starting point is so far above realistic that is a dealbreaker. I’ll sell my home for $1 million won’t even get a counter offer.

Chase likely fetches a high end compensation pick when he walks, value recouped. Brissett maybe helps some but it’s a total sunk cost.

Absolutely. These guys are not world-class negotiators, and they’re probably even worse at reading markets. See, e.g., the Carson Wentz trade where they negotiated against themselves and themselves alone for a day or two. 

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

million percent agree

The other part I didn't cover - while I'd estimate DTR's chances of being the answer this year at 10-20 percent (still 10-20 percent better than PJ Walker)....within that range, I'd say there's a 25 percent chance (so maybe 5 percent overall chance) he's even better than average - because if he really is ready to help in his rookie year, it likely means his ceiling (which is sky high) is still very reachable too (the problem is, his rookie year and learning was supposed to be on the bench, in practice, etc. - not thrown into the fire).     And so if the Watson injury is truly the rotator cuff and it's more than serious, he could be the 2024 answer.   So DTR represents both the short-term AND long-term better option for CLE to consider.  

3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

This has to go down as the worst trade in NFL history. I don’t even think it’s debatable at this point.

I call this a dumb take, what was the Browns supposed to do? It's easy to play the hindsight game now but who else was really going to come to Cleveland? 

With Watson having problems all year, seems almost negligent they didn't get a backup.  Will they sign Mond off the colts practice squad?

After they limp through the season, Cleveland better come up with a plan for future because Watson trade seems like a lemon.