2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

11 hours ago, Danger said:

Really not buying the Troy Franklin hype. 4th round grade for me, especially in a stacked WR class like this.

I'm really struggling with Franklin.  There's a ton to like there.  He's fast, he's got good height, super productive and a natural downfield receiver.  But man...i was already a little iffy on his real "size" to begin with.  Watching him at the combine really drove home...that's a very slender man.  176lbs at 6'2"?  Ooof.  How much more weight/strength/power is he really going to be able to functionally add to his frame?  I knew he wasn't a real "big" or "strong" WR...but he's certainly introduced questions about how much his frame will ever even be able to sustain.  Is he going to be able to hold up against and beat physical coverage at the NFL level?  Outside of that scheme against future car salesmen?  Is he going to hold up to the physical rigors in general?  

I like him but it becomes a serious question of whether he's going to be big/strong enough to be a real well-rounded WR at the next level, or if he's just going to be a "try to outrun guys" go route merchant at the NFL level.  At which point...in this class, you've got options there. 

Brian Thomas Jr. is just as fast (faster actually) and far bigger which lends itself to a lot of other potential beyond just that deep ball threat that he's better than Franklin at.

And on the other end of things...if Franklin is just going to be a "field stretcher" like that...is he going to be that much more valuable that say, Tez Walker who brings even more speed and deep ball potential, just a lot more raw.  But "rawness" doesn't necessarily factor in to a more limited "niche" receiver conversation like that.

I think 4th round is certainly overly harsh.  He's still a bigtime productive target who will add more than 4th round value even just as a deep ball threat.  But 1st round...i'm less sure on now.  I thought he was going to ring in solidly with that mid-late 1st round crowd.  But a lot less confident now.  Gotta do some real soul-searching on exactly where he slots in for me, at a very lean 176lbs.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Franklin reminds me of a dude who will have a DJ Chark type career. 

Size wise, he’s very close to Jameson Williams. 

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Franklin reminds me of a dude who will have a DJ Chark type career. 

I think that's definitely the concern there.  I can kind of see it.  Very similar sort of receivers, right down to the build coming out.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 1:35 PM, Jeezla said:

Rank these 5:

Adonai Mitchell
Brian Thomas Jr
Keon Coleman
Ladd McConkey
Xavier Worthy

Don't give me any "Depends what you already have" BS. Pretend you have nothing and you just need a good WR, period. What order would you take them in?

Brian Thomas Jr

Adonai Mitchell

Ladd McConkey 

Xavier Worthy

Keon Coleman

• Like 1

I think Troy Franklin is a guy that is faster than what his 40 time would lead you to believe. Often times it seems like we (draftniks and media) take these times as gospel on how fast a player is capable of running. Anyone that has run track before knows, it’s nearly impossible for everyone to post a PR (personal record) in the same race.

The combine is no different. It’s a highly stressful event where some players may wake up feeling ready to go on that specific day and other players might just not be at their best that day no matter how hard they’ve trained for the combine workout. 

In today’s NFL we have more technology to capture what these players are capable of with GPS tracking as well now. Which also isn’t the be all end all to gauge speed, but is another tool to add to the equation when comparing guys in this in exact science lol.

Basically a long way of saying there is just simply no way  Troy Franklin is slower than some of the guys that ran faster 40 times than him and besides the obvious “eye test”, there is data to back that up. His catch and run vs USC this past season showed he has top tier speed and explosive ability reaching 22.3 MPH on RAanalytics GPS tracking. 2nd fastest behind Xavier Worthy last year.

The way he absolutely obliterates the angle from the USC defense and pulls away with the ball in his hand is a display of top notch explosive ability. Undoubtedly some concerns about his slender build and some drops, but his explosive ability and being able to make cuts at a high speed without losing much speed (functional football speed) is up there with the best in the draft at WR. Could definitely see him being a steal for a team with how crowded this WR class is.

• Like 1

Garrett Wilson at the combine prior to the 2022 draft:

6'0", 183 lbs. 4.38 40, 1.49 10 yard split. 36" vertical jump. 10'3" broad jump.

[MYSTERY RECEIVER] at the combine prior to the 2024 draft:

6'0", 186 lbs. 4.39 40, 1.52 10 yard split. 36" vertical jump. 10'4" broad jump.

Any guesses? This surprised me.

7 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

6'0", 183 lbs. 4.38 40, 1.49 10 yard split. 36" vertical jump. 10'3" broad jump.

6'0", 186 lbs. 4.39 40, 1.52 10 yard split. 36" vertical jump. 10'4" broad jump.

McGonkey or Wilson

8 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

No offense to Ladd, but Wilson was (and still is) just so much better and more refined as a WR. Will say Ladd tested better than I thought he would though. 

2 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

McGonkey or Wilson

It is McConkey. The arm and hand sizes differ a fair amount between the two, but they are almost identical otherwise. There's definitely a stigma on white wide receivers that is hard to shake. It seems to be a bit easier to evaluate them when you have a blind side-by-side comparison of just numbers. McConkey is not just a small slot guy, he's a legit WR prospect in this draft.

I have the WRs as follows:

1. MHJr
  2. Nabers
  3. Odunze
  4. Brian Thomas Jr
  5. Keon Coleman
  6. Ladd McConkey
  7. Xavier Legette
  8. Malachi Corley
  9. Roman Wilson
  10. Adonai Mitchell
  11. Javon Baker
  12. Xavier Worthy
  13. Troy Franklin
  14. Ja'Lynn Polk
  15. Ricky Pearsall

Then the other guys. I think the top 11 guys have varying chances at being legitimate #1s in the NFL. After that, the talent level is still high, but you're looking at #2s/role players.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

It is McConkey. The arm and hand sizes differ a fair amount between the two, but they are almost identical otherwise. There's definitely a stigma on white wide receivers that is hard to shake. It seems to be a bit easier to evaluate them when you have a blind side-by-side comparison of just numbers. McConkey is not just a small slot guy, he's a legit WR prospect in this draft.

I like McConkey - just don't see the catch ability of Garrett.  With Wilson you put it anywhere near his zip code and he's catching it.  McConkey will make some solid catches but also struggle other times.  Definitely a strong WR Prospect but it's a very VERY deep WR class so hard to rank them beyond just sliding them into tiers depending on what you need