2024 WR Talk

nicfre2011

11 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I think Mitchell will go pretty high due to his combine etc. Early 2nd, somewhere near Keon Coleman.

Seen a few mocks sending him to KC at the end of the 1st - would agree that he likely ends up going top 50

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

"We can't let the Chiefs gets AD Mitchell"

The Chiefs aren’t going to have the option if they don’t trade up. Mitchell was trending into the first before he posted a ridiculous combine 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The Chiefs aren’t going to have the option if they don’t trade up. Mitchell was trending into the first before he posted a ridiculous combine 

Jacksonville at 17 maybe?

7 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

Maybe. It’s hard to say who’ll go first after the big three. I think it’s probably still Brian Thomas, but Worthy might get grabbed earlier than he should be because of the speed. But Mitchell should be the fifth WR off the board imo. And I think he probably will be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I think Troy Franklin is a guy that is faster than what his 40 time would lead you to believe. Often times it seems like we (draftniks and media) take these times as gospel on how fast a player is capable of running. Anyone that has run track before knows, it’s nearly impossible for everyone to post a PR (personal record) in the same race.

The combine is no different. It’s a highly stressful event where some players may wake up feeling ready to go on that specific day and other players might just not be at their best that day no matter how hard they’ve trained for the combine workout. 

In today’s NFL we have more technology to capture what these players are capable of with GPS tracking as well now. Which also isn’t the be all end all to gauge speed, but is another tool to add to the equation when comparing guys in this in exact science lol.

Basically a long way of saying there is just simply no way  Troy Franklin is slower than some of the guys that ran faster 40 times than him and besides the obvious “eye test”, there is data to back that up. His catch and run vs USC this past season showed he has top tier speed and explosive ability reaching 22.3 MPH on RAanalytics GPS tracking. 2nd fastest behind Xavier Worthy last year.

The way he absolutely obliterates the angle from the USC defense and pulls away with the ball in his hand is a display of top notch explosive ability. Undoubtedly some concerns about his slender build and some drops, but his explosive ability and being able to make cuts at a high speed without losing much speed (functional football speed) is up there with the best in the draft at WR. Could definitely see him being a steal for a team with how crowded this WR class is.

I'm not low on Franklin because of his 40 time. I'm low on him because of his frame, his hands, his ability to catch contested balls, and his average routes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Yeah.  I had Mitchell as a potential hangers on to that mid to late-1st WR group to begin with...and then he had that really strong combine that showed he's not just a really smooth natural receiver, he's more athletic than expected as well.  Which explains why he makes a lot of it look so "easy" on the field.

2 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

I wouldn't even be mad about it at all.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

Maybe. It’s hard to say who’ll go first after the big three. I think it’s probably still Brian Thomas, but Worthy might get grabbed earlier than he should be because of the speed. But Mitchell should be the fifth WR off the board imo. And I think he probably will be.

But yeah.  It's a real crapshoot with that whole cluster.  Nice problem to have, where teams in that range will have all sorts of choices, and guys of totally different flavors too.  But i think a lot of it will ultimately just come down to individual team preference on "type" or what sort of elements or traits they emphasize there.

I think Brian Thomas is still the odds on favorite to go next.  But none of Mitchell, Franklin, Coleman, Worthy would surprise me there either.  Not the way i'd rank 'em...but teams go wild over different things, and just raw speed is chief among them.

I am missing something in Brian Thomas… I want to love him, and he’s worth the gamble but something about his game/tape says something is lacking and I can’t pinpoint it… demeanor, play style, something gives me possible bust vibes

2 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

I am missing something in Brian Thomas… I want to love him, and he’s worth the gamble but something about his game/tape says something is lacking and I can’t pinpoint it… demeanor, play style, something gives me possible bust vibes

I think what might be missing is that, on tape at least...there's just a lot missing in terms of consistently demonstrating a versatile, diversified route tree with a lot of nuance.  Within that LSU system, he just wasn't really asked to do it.  So it's not really there.  It's a huge amount of "projection" on whether or not he'll be able to develop that part of his game further or not.  Which yeah...does carry a measure of bust potential any time you're "projecting" something that there isn't a lot of evidence of on tape.  But that's an awful lot of college receivers to some extent, especially these days.

The other thing is maybe...a lot of it looks very "easy" for him.  He's just so athletically superior that a lot of his "splash plays" even, don't look like he's going at full intensity, because he doesn't even need to.

To the first point, i think the combine helped assuage things for me a little bit.  Not that running around in shorts is a big deal, but i thought he looked sufficiently smooth and natural running some different routes than most of what you see from him in college.  So the movement part of it...there's natural ability to work with there.  The rest is just coaching and how he takes to that.  Which comes down to interviews and private workouts and stuff.

14 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The other thing is maybe...a lot of it looks very "easy" for him.  He's just so athletically superior that a lot of his "splash plays" even, don't look like he's going at full intensity, because he doesn't even need to.

This might be it. There is no aggression… maybe he is just that smooth. No Dawg moments on tape.  MHJ has them, Rome has them, even Nabers has them. Even his contested catches I don’t know. It’s just something feels off. It doesn’t feel special and maybe it’s because he makes it look easy?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

This might be it. There is no aggression… maybe he is just that smooth. No Dawg moments on tape.  MHJ has them, Rome has them, even Nabers has them. Even his contested catches I don’t know. It’s just something feels off. It doesn’t feel special and maybe it’s because he makes it look easy?

Yeah.  I think it's a fair question to ask on him.  Because as big and dynamic as he is...at the NFL level, 85% isn't always going to just dominate "easy".  So again...it's a lot of "projection".  But i do think that how smooth he is, particularly as a downfield receiver, also plays into the way things "look".  He's just so impressively natural adjusting and timing up the ball over his shoulder.  It's a potentially really special trait.  Just a lot of really deceptive, subtle adjustments that keep him from having to work harder at the catch point.

• Like 1

Mostly a crapshoot in that 2nd/3rd tier of WRs, but who do you guys think makes it to R3?

EDIT: I say crapshoot in the sense that the WR who could go 5th/6th off the board could also probably go, like, 12th as well. 

Edited by Soko

44 minutes ago, Soko said:

Mostly a crapshoot in that 2nd/3rd tier of WRs, but who do you guys think makes it to R3?

EDIT: I say crapshoot in the sense that the WR who could go 5th/6th off the board could also probably go, like, 12th as well. 

None of the guys who are being spoken about as late round 1’s IMO. I think Polk & Corley fall to R3. I like both a lot.