2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

41 minutes ago, Geezy said:

id rather extend some 2025-2026 FAs before bring in guys. 

Koonce, Jones, Hobbs, Moehrig and Spillane should be tied up long term. Got to take care of your own. 

What is Telesco's MO when it comes to free agents?

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Certainly doesn't ever go after big names. The rare times he has, he's gotten burned....though can't fault him for most of them. J.C. Jackson was considered a stud and real get. Him flaming out was not on many Bingo cards. 

In the off-season, they never really seemed to lose any key cogs, which would indicate in-season deals getting done. That said, the talent in SD/LA during his tenure wasn't exactly oozing, so who was there to really resign that wasn't a no-brainer you pretty much had to work a deal with (Rivers, Keenan Allen, for example). 

The Chargers didn't really start scoring "hits" in the draft until the latter 2010's. He gave Bosa a pretty hefty extension I don't think paid dividends, but let Hunter Henry walk then gave Mike Williams a silly extension but smartly gave Derwin James a big extension after two lost seasons. 

It's sort of a mixed bag of good foresight and wtf? moves, but again, the Chargers rarely had premium talent with contract renewals needed, so the sample size is pretty small. Hes done a relatively good job at addressing "need" when someone does leave/retires at least in terms of addressing the position. Never really upgrades via FA and is probably 50/50 on good extensions vs who he let's walk. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Not too sure to be honest, tend to keep their high end talent though. I’m thinking AP being a players coach he’d push to get his guys paid, especially on defense. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Depends on his price for me. 

We're probably keeping 5-6 WRs (6 being if we keep a WR like McAllister exclusively for returns and part ways with one of the RBs), with Adams, Meyers, and Tucker as locks. 

The final 2 WR spots for offensive play time are up for grabs between, realistically, DJ Turner, Jalen Guyton, Kristian Wilkerson, and the WR herpes known as Keelan Doss. 

If Adams or Meyers went down, I wouldn't feel anywhere near as comfortable with any of those 4 eating up extensive snaps as I would Juju. Granted, we could try to force Tucker into the role and replace him as 3rd in the rotation, but that's getting into square peg/round hole territory. Juju in the role we likely envisioned Gallup playing would be a nice emergency starter option without scraping the bottom of the barrel. 

No way he's getting a huge deal so the money shouldn't be a major concern, and if he rebounds,  it could take WR off the block for us for a year or so when Adams inevitably retires or leaves. I'd be comfortable with Meyers, Juju, and Tucker being the 3 top WR options for a young QB for a couple of years since we can't afford to pull a Chicago and double-dip at QB and stud WR in round 1 any time soon. 

I see your point. If it's for dirt cheap you can't really go wrong. 

38 minutes ago, Totty said:

Someone should start a thread to talk about how great he is.  Like the Jimmy G one, but better.  

Honestly, I’d rather have Peterson than Garoppolo. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

How is Hunter Renfrow not on a TC roster. Did he fall off that hard?

I was wondering the same thing. 

I mean, his athletic profile wasn't great so I would understand him not generating much interest when he was drafted or if he were waived before playing. But he proved he could play, and do so reasonably well. 

Gotta be that time caught up with his skill set a lot quicker, or my suspicion, a nagging injury.