The National Championship Thread: #1 Michigan vs #2 Washington, 1/8, 7:30 PM

MikeT14

2 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I'll be happy if Harbaugh leaves for the NFL. He brought us a Natty but it came with a big black eye and a lot of embarrassment.

I'm not a Harbaugh fan nor am I a Michigan fan, but seriously every team was doing what Michigan did. So why do you think it was a big deal? Let me explain: When Nick Saban was asked about it he said hopefully they get the head set in the helmets like in the NFL. That's the purpose so they can justify the change. For history lesson look at the NFL and the New England Patriots with spy gate. Teams wanted to put the earpiece in the defends helmet like the QB's suddenly there was spy gate. Forget about the fact that the Jets were caught doing the same thing the week before but make a big deal about the Patriots because no one cared about the Jets. So some time in the next few months expect to hear about college players adding a dot to their helmets.

5 minutes ago, jofos said:

I'm not a Harbaugh fan nor am I a Michigan fan, but seriously every team was doing what Michigan did. So why do you think it was a big deal? Let me explain: When Nick Saban was asked about it he said hopefully they get the head set in the helmets like in the NFL. That's the purpose so they can justify the change. For history lesson look at the NFL and the New England Patriots with spy gate. Teams wanted to put the earpiece in the defends helmet like the QB's suddenly there was spy gate. Forget about the fact that the Jets were caught doing the same thing the week before but make a big deal about the Patriots because no one cared about the Jets. So some time in the next few months expect to hear about college players adding a dot to their helmets.

To be clear the sign stealing scandal isn't the only reason some of us Michigan fans don't care if Jim leaves.

There have been multiple scandals under his watch, he's been suspended multiple times. 

Illegal recruiting, illegal practices, sign-stealing... If it was just one thing maybe you could be dismissive but it's a pattern under his leadership. 

Not to mention the guy is just an a hole... Always has been even going back to his days with the 49ers.

I'm glad to see the team win a title but I've never liked Harbaugh as a human being and would shed zero tears if he leaves.

Edited by rob_shadows
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

To be clear the sign stealing scandal isn't the only reason some of us Michigan fans don't care if Jim leaves.

There have been multiple scandals under his watch, he's been suspended multiple times. 

Illegal recruiting, illegal practices, sign-stealing... If it was just one thing maybe you could be dismissive but it's a pattern under his leadership. 

Not to mention the guy is just an a hole... Always has been even going back to his days with the 49ers.

I'm glad to see the team win a title but I've never liked Harbaugh as a human being and would shed zero tears if he leaves.

Congratulations on the Championship by the way

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jofos said:

Okay I'll call you whatever. I think McCarthy will be a pretty good NFL QB. People tend to look at stat lines when judging college QBs chances in the NFL and that usually doesn't workout well. Opportunities for McCarthy were very limited in the offense he was/is in. It's hard for a guy to get in rhythm when he is only throwing on third down most of the time. Anyway just my opinion. 

I just think he's a game manager. He can win in the right situation but he's not for every team. That's where I'm at. 

McCarthy is an unknown. He's not asked to do much and only gets to step back and rip it a couple of times a game. Most of his passes are to predetermined targets. He does make pre-snap reads and adjustments at the line but I don't know that I'd say he was super successful at it. Nobody has any idea how he'd fare if he went to the NFL and was asked to throw 20-30 times a game right off the bat. (even moreso than a Josh Allen or Jordan Love who did a lot a small schools)

I guess he's probably going to declare. He'll be a mid/late 2rd rounder. Bucs? Rams? Steelers? Eagles?

Edited by nagahide13

8 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Call me whatever but I think both Penix and McCarthy won't be good NFL QBs and should be day two guys, at best. 

Penix I was a little unsure about, but last night didn't do any favors. I haven't thought of McCarthy as an NFL QB ever.

• Like 2

Obviously, there were other factors also going on at times but all season long it was evident Michigan was the best team in college football. I don’t know why people keep circling back to Georgia. They were ranked #1 but if people watched football this year, Michigan was the best team. They largely controlled almost every game. Obviously I hate it but it is what it is. They were a good team.

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

Obviously, there were other factors also going on at times but all season long it was evident Michigan was the best team in college football. I don’t know why people keep circling back to Georgia. They were ranked #1 but if people watched football this year, Michigan was the best team. They largely controlled almost every game. Obviously I hate it but it is what it is. They were a good team.

They played 3 real teams: OSU, Bama, Washington.

SEC pushed them into OT, Pac-12 can't hang with real conferences. OSU was their lone good win. Georgia probably wins 3/5 matchups.

21 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

They played 3 real teams: OSU, Bama, Washington.

SEC pushed them into OT, Pac-12 can't hang with real conferences. OSU was their lone good win. Georgia probably wins 3/5 matchups.

I think it’s pretty common or easy to play hindsight with the best teams though. There’s often luck involved unless you’re a 2020 Bama super team. If Marv and Jameson weren’t hurt the last two title games then UGA goes without a title at all likely the past few years. But we’re talking about them not getting a 3rd straight one because of a slip-up this season.

14 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

Michigan doesn’t win a natty or three big ten titles without him