Pittsburgh Steelers vs New England Patriots discussion thread

Slingin' Sammy

1 minute ago, cp0k2 said:

I wish my team was anywhere near good enough to have the majority of the rest of the league's fans hate them. Anytime the Patriots are involved, it's pitchforks and torches. If this were Cleveland, some Steelers fans would be miffed of course, but the rest of the league wouldn't care and there sure wouldn't be this vitriol. 

Great game; I hope they meet again in the Playoffs.

If the Cleveland Browns draft Luke Falk in the sixth round and then he goes on to be the greatest quarterback of all time as Hue goes on to win a literal handful of rings, you'll be hated too.  :P

Just now, Quark3 said:

Bad replay overrule, because you can't tell if the ball hits the ground.  Call on field should have stood.

Thats my biggest issue with it.

Only reason Im not more vocal is because Im not sure if the refs have different angles than we have seen.

1 minute ago, Quark3 said:

Bad replay overrule, because you can't tell if the ball hits the ground.  Call on field should have stood.

Yea, his right hand was under the ball so it is hard to say one way of another without a back of endzone camera if the ball was fully on the ground.

Just now, FourThreeMafia said:

Thats my biggest issue with it.

Only reason Im not more vocal is because Im not sure if the refs have different angles than we have seen.

They only get the TV angles, so unless CBS gave the refs one and didn't show it on TV, there is no view.

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

Only if they are constantly and consistently A-holes about it.

This. Most Steelers fans and Packers fans and so on, even during their best days, were never as half as hated as the Patriots fans are. It's patrial because of the winning, but much more so because of the lack of class Patriots fans have.

4 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Even with ball hitting the ground I still think he maintained possesion. Ball is allowed to hit the ground if you display control. Thought that was clear control well after catching the ball.

he absolutely didn't maintain possession lol

1 minute ago, marshawn lynch said:

Even with ball hitting the ground I still think he maintained possesion. Ball is allowed to hit the ground if you display control. Thought that was clear control well after catching the ball.

The thing is there's a kind of "falling clause" in the rule, and once the process of falling starts, you have to complete the process of the catch throughout the call. It's what happened with Dez. He had possession, didn't make a football move before he moved the ball to another hand and by the time he got possession he was falling, by which point he was obligated to maintain possession throughout the entire fall. It's a weird segmented rule where different parts of it get enacted depending on what's happening.

5 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Of course we'd be salty.

Even a good portion would be arguing what Bills/Steelers fans are arguing.

But at least for myself I'd be arguing it's a bad rule, not the wrong call.

The problem to "fix" the rule would bring along a hundred thousand complications and issues that you'd have to addressed.

I argued this very argument with some poster in a thread two months ago.  You have to have the call like that to protect the legitimacy of the league, and protect refs from themselves.

If that's so, how did the league survive for 80 years without the elaborate "continuation of the catch" rule?

And isn't your logic the same thing we heard about the Tuck Rule some 15 years ago? Stuff like "it's an awful rule, but if we did away with it it would open a huge can of worms so actually it's the best we can do"? The NFL got rid of the Tuck Rule several years ago  and .... absolutely no can of worms was opened and we've gotten along just fine without it. 

Just now, RuralBill said:

This. Most Steelers fans and Packers fans and so on, even during their best days, were never as half as hated as the Patriots fans are. It's patrial because of the winning, but much more so because of the lack of class Patriots fans have.

Can you write me an essay about it? 

Game of the year thus far. An ending for the ages. No idea how Juju lasted as long as he did in the draft.

Archived