Pittsburgh Steelers vs New England Patriots discussion thread

Slingin' Sammy

This week, the biggest regular season game in the AFC, and arguably the NFL, will be played at Heinz Field. It will decide homefield advantage throughout the AFC playoffs, and the winner will undoubtedly be the favorite to represent that conference in the Super Bowl. NE has owned the rivalry, but the last time the Pats played the Steelers at Heinz with Ben at QB, they lost decisively. Steelers D will have to play a lot better than they have been to slow Brady down. Pats should be breathing fire after their worst performance of the season against Miami. Shazier will be missed.

I’ll take the Pats in a shootout, 31-34. However, won’t be shocked if the Steelers win. Offense has really come to life, and they’ve been clutch this year in close games.

18 minutes ago, Lilseb93 said:

If the Steelers are serious about being SB contenders and are tired of being beaten by Brady and the Pats, they have to win this game. Not just for home field, but for confidence and momentum. 

What worries me is that we will try to pull out all the stops to win this game, and then if we have to face them in the playoffs, will get shalacked because our coaches will be dumb enough to believe that the same gameplan will work against Brady and Belichick twice.

However, we play them the same way pretty much every time.      The one time we took a different approach....

http://www.footballdb.com/games/boxscore.html?gid=2011103011

Not saying that same approach would work again, but if the Steelers play uber conservative soft zone like they do every time, its going to end the same way.

If Cannon, Flowers and KVN are out again - (I'm assuming the latter two come back) - then I don't see how we have the tools. Given that Pittsburgh have seemingly geared their entire season up for beating us, I suggest they look at our crucial injuries and go after those areas instead. Namely shifty running backs being used to stretch the linebackers horizontally, put your best pass rusher over our 3rd string RT and don't worry about a pass rush, because we don't have one.

9 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

I really believe the Patriots match up well against the Steelers.  Both from personnel and scheme.

I think this week people will get caught up in the Dolphins game fiasco and misread this game.  Dolphins have always caused Patriots trouble at home.  And Gronk back, singularly changes the complexion of the game.  Patriots defense is very weak in pass rush, and not being ahead/playing from behind is a huge issue for them.  With Brady/Gronk consistently putting up 27+ a night, they haven't had to deal with playing from behind and have keyed in on the passing game.  While not an elite defense, they're coached well enough to play well if not put into a hole [that most defenses would fail in]. 

I have Patriots winning 31-24.   Dolphins win isn't really that surprising honestly.  I said a month ago and will say again, I'd be more surprised the Steelers beat the Patriots at home than the Dolphins do at home.  

Losing Ryan Shazier hurts the Steelers from both a scheme and personnel standpoint. However, Gronk was neutralized until garbage time in the decisive 2011 Steelers win at Heinz Field, as the younger Brady was pressured consistently. In the three convincing Steelers wins over the Pats, Pittsburgh was clearly the more physical team, and that's part of the key to beating New England. Teams like to talk about being physical, but the Pats get up by a couple scores, and those plans go out the window. 

Shocked how easily the Dolphins moved the ball last night, and if the Pats don't play much better, the Steelers will put up 40 on that defense. Each team has flaws, the weather could also factor into the outcome. People are building this game up as the AFC TG preview, but don't overlook Jacksonville.

I'll continue to bet on New England against Pittsburgh until the Steelers give me a reason to bet otherwise. I wonder if they'll continue to play soft zone coverage without getting any pressure whatsoever on Tom Brady and watch him go crazy again.

53 minutes ago, Starless said:

The Steelers have outperformed their Pythagorean record by almost 3 full wins. That's insane.

Not saying they'll lose. This game is a toss-up to me. But that's a crazy statistic.

Can you explain this at all, and put it into context vs the rest of the league?

1 hour ago, Starless said:

The Steelers have outperformed their Pythagorean record by almost 3 full wins. That's insane.

Not saying they'll lose. This game is a toss-up to me. But that's a crazy statistic.

What does that mean?

I agree this game is a toss up. (thus the 2.5 pt spread)   Definitely am not underestimating NE, even with that performance last night.  I know their record is extremely good after a losing game.  If I were a Pats fan, I'd be concerned with all the travel.  Going to Mexico City and now the third consecutive road game after a Monday night game.  

As a Steelers fan, I know the offense can (not saying they will) light up the NE defense, my main concern is the Steelers defense.  Without Shazier, without Haden (who is now practicing) and without Shazier's backup in Matakevich, there are real concerns going into this game.  Artie Burns played pretty well and we're going to need to see more of that.  T.J. Watt needs to have a monster game along with Heyward, Tuitt and Hargrave up front to pull this game out. 

Archived