Pittsburgh Steelers vs New England Patriots discussion thread

Slingin' Sammy

3 minutes ago, Kiei7 said:

The rule is bad, not the call. It's the same thing that happened to Dez. Complain about the rule all you want, but I don't see how people are arguing the call.

It's nothing like the Dez call, here he had a hand underneath the ball.

2 minutes ago, Kiei7 said:

The rule is bad, not the call. It's the same thing that happened to Dez. Complain about the rule all you want, but I don't see how people are arguing the call.

Dez was tackled by Sam Shields, and reached as he was going down, if you willingly make a dive for the end zone after securing the ball for a catch with no defender influence, that's a catch.

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Same as the Dez incompletion. Lunging in the air is the same as falling. And once that process starts you need to maintain control all the way down 

He did control it through the process. It bobbled after the process was complete and he made a football move

Just now, RuralBill said:

> Patriots win based on a crappy rule/crappy call.

> Posters from all kinds of teams voice their displeasure with the rule/call.

> Patriots fans act like brats to everyone.

And this is why people hate the Patriots. 

>you leave out the people agreeing with patriots fans 

>you leave out being a Bills fan

Oh.

2 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Do you personally agree that that should be the rule?

If he had been touched immediately prior to getting up and stretching the ball out, would that not have been a catch and down by contact regardless if he was going to the ground? The officials basically determined that him catching it, willfully getting up and reaching out all constituted the one motion of him trying to catch the ball. 

Doesn't matter. It IS the rule. It's the exact same as the Dez catch. The refs are all defending it because they understand the rule and have went over this a million times.

You're right it's an imperfect rule, but the truth is the only way to reverse it would essentially fundamentally change the entire definition of a catch and lead to a lot of incompletions being fumbles 

The call was right from what I understand

What shocks me is that the Steelers still had the chance to win and a certain tie if they wanted it. And THAT happens. 

Just bounces up into the hands of a pat. Unbelievable. Can't see anyone else in the sb now that they almost certainly have hfa.

4 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

They are like most casual fans and don't understand the rules.

It's clear as day that he didn't have control and then make a football rule.

A lot of people like yourself seem to have the mistaken impression that a football move = catch.  It has to be catch THEN football move.  It's SEPARATE ACTIONS.

This coming from the guy who whined because Brady's pocket presence doesn't get enough recognition. Shoo, shoo. xD

2 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

If I was playing a backyard or rec game?  No it's a catch.

But the NFL has billions of dollars on the line and the NBA already went through a scandal that cost the owners tens of millions of dollars.

The owners/league have legislated the game so it takes the judgment out of refs hands.  

Just like the tuck rule, in the "spirit of the game" it's a bad call, but by the letter of the law, it's black and white, not even close, no-catch.

In what universe is this called consistently and has been legislated to take judgement out of refs hands? This rule does nothing but place untowards judgement into refs hands. And is called different ways every single game, even within the game itself it is called differently.

And will you stop saying it's "not even close" obviously it is, the arrogance of Patriots fans is getting quite old.

Patriots won....I respect the outcome....congrats.

But you Patriots fans would be arguing against the ruling if it happened to you guys....so enough with the "you guys just salty" stuff.     Again, I agree the call was right on the field......but its based on a completely stupid rule that has decided big games like it did here.

Archived