More deserving of OROY, Stroud or Nacua?

More deserving of OROY?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. More deserving of OROY?

• CJ Stroud
    • Puka Nacua

rams-news-sean-mcvay-drops-fire-puka-nac

Two historic seasons for these rookies. Who do you think should be crowned OROY?

• Stroud: 4,108 yards, 23 TDs, 5 INTs + 167 rushing yards, 3 rushing TDs. Team finished 10-7 and made the playoffs.
  • Nacua: 101 receptions (Record), 1,445 yards (Record), 5 TDs. Team finished 10-7 and made the playoffs.
Edited by RaidersAreOne

100% Stroud - What Nacua did was awesome but (and Rams fams are going to hate me) doesn’t happen without McVay and Stafford.  That system is perfect for his skill set and that doesn’t take anything away from him, and had Stroud not had the season he had would be the favorite by far, but the difficulty and responsibility of a QB trumps that if a WR 100/100

• Like 1

It has to be puka! He broke

records from 60 years ago. But it’s going to be given to cj. Which he deserves! But man, we just saw history being made. Guys a 5th round rookie, helps us to get to the playoffs. Was a bonafied number 1) with Kupp missing the first month of the season. What Cj did it’s been done before plenty of times. 

Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, RG3 and Wilson? Rookies leading their team to post season yadadada. My man woke up and decided to

be a top 5 WR this season. Like wtf. 

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

rams-news-sean-mcvay-drops-fire-puka-nac

Two historic seasons for these rookies. Who do you think should be crowned OROY?

• Stroud: 4,108 yards, 23 TDs, 5 INTs + 167 rushing yards, 3 rushing TDs. Team finished 10-7 and made the playoffs.
  • Nacua: 101 receptions (Record), 1,445 yards (Record), 5 TDs. Team finished 10-7 and made the playoffs.

The Nacua stats are off those are his numbers before today and not his records (for example 104 was Waddles REC record). Puka has 105 Receptions 1486 rec yards (89 more rushing) and 6 TDs.

Puka's numbers are HOF start to a career. Stroud had it locked up until the concussion. I think I'd vote Nacua, but I get CJ Stroud getting it. If I remember right Herbert got OROY over Justin Jefferson and it's sorta a similar deal going on here. I'd expect Stroud, but I personally feel Nacua.

Based on how the award has been voted on for years, it should be Stroud. However, it is rookie of the year, and not most valuable rookie. I think Puka had a better year than Stroud. Stroud obviously plays a tougher and more important position. 

Stroud will win it, awards are typically QB-centric and he's a nice year, plus he was the second pick in the draft and that very much goes into it too (although it shouldn't). 

Puka had an historic season for his position - without a doubt the best rookie wide receiver the league has ever seen, but even so - the way the league is a good season by a rookie QB is seen as better than an historic season for a wide receiver. 

Imagine what a OLman would have to do in order to get the award - he would have to damn near have to stop a moving train to stand a chance. 

9 hours ago, El Ramster said:

It has to be puka! He broke

records from 60 years ago. But it’s going to be given to cj. Which he deserves! But man, we just saw history being made. Guys a 5th round rookie, helps us to get to the playoffs. Was a bonafied number 1) with Kupp missing the first month of the season. What Cj did it’s been done before plenty of times. 

Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, RG3 and Wilson? Rookies leading their team to post season yadadada. My man woke up and decided to

be a top 5 WR this season. Like wtf. 

Could be wrong, but I don't recall any of those guys leading the NFL in TD:INT rate as a Rookie with 4000+ passing yards

Stroud will win it but really the awards are becoming a QB award. OROY will be a QB, MVP will be a QB, and unless Hamlin wins COPTY it will be Flacco a QB to win the award. Its lazy but since the NFL has made the league a QB friendly league they boxed themselves in.

What Puka has done warrants him this award. He broke not one but two records. One record that has stood for 50+years. I know the impact Stroud made. He took a team nobody had expectations for to winning the division. But Puka has had a similar impact. With no Kupp, people was thinking who is Stafford going to throw too? Not only did Puka step up, he came out of the gates on an historical pace. And its not easy to learn this McVay offense. Puka is asked to run all the route tree at various positions and block and run jet sweeps. And I also think winning awards are more than just stats but memorable moments. Ive seen tons of memorable moments Puka had this season. Walk-off TD catch for the win against the Colts. Spectacular catches seemingly every week that make your jaw drop. And on the stand alone game against the Saints he shredded them and put up a sensational game.

So yeah again I do think Stroud will win the OROY but Puka had an historical season after being thrown into the fire bc Kupp was hurt and the more than just thrived he set the bar high for rookies. If I was to tell you Caleb Williams will come in next season and do what Stroud did if not better I dont think anyone would be shocked. If I told you the potential great Marvin Harrison Jr. will come in and do what Puka did this season I think maybe people could see it but I do think it would be less likely than. Again there is a reason why just the rookie receiving record stood for over 50+ years. So a rookie receiver would have to break both the receptions and yards in the same season. Thats how special of a season Puka had. Reward him properly or at least split the award between him and Stroud. 

• Like 1

I've seen some arguments for Puka stating how "historic" his season was and that he should get it over Stroud for that reason. This isn't to diminish Puka, he had a great rookie season, but it's never been easier for rookie WR's to come into the league and make an impact as a rookie. The poster above essentially stated "there's a reason the rookie record stood for 50+ years", but with the way things are trending, these receiving records will be approached fairly frequently. For as good as Puka's season was, one could argue it wasn't even the best or 2nd best season by a rookie WR in the past 4 years. 

In 2020 Justin Jefferson went for 1400 yards and 7 touchdowns (16 game season)

In 2021 Ja'Marr Chase went for 1455 yards and 13 touchdowns

Certainly on par with Chase and Jefferson, but not a season I would call "an outlier" beyond what other recent rookie WR's have done. 

CJ Stroud on the other hand took a team many thought would challenge for the number 1 overall pick and has them playing in the playoffs (despite missing a couple games). The only reason this is even a conversation is because CJ Stroud had a concussion. His bulk numbers would have been incredible had he not missed 2 and a half games from the injury. Even with the injury though, this is hardly a conversation, it's CJ Stroud's award to lose given the numbers, positional importance, and taking one of the worst teams in the league to the playoffs as a rookie. 

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 4

Man, so many good rookies this year it's incredible. Zay Flowers had a sensational rookie year for the Ravens and I wouldn't even put him in the conversation for this award because of how great CJ Stroud and Puka Nacua were.

That being said, this is Stroud's award hands down.