Falcons fire HC Arthur Smith

Texansfan713

I will say i like Arthur Smith and think if he was a HC only without play calls and had a legit good new age OC calling plays.  He would do very well leading a team imo and the players like him and even when we didn't have much talent they play hard for the dude.   But i can almost guarantee he wouldn't give up play calling duties so my man had to go.    Now the one thing im a little worried about is Nielsen are DC being let go with a new HC coming in.  This is literally the 1st time in a decade plus or more i have been proud of our defense and think we improved on that side in 1 year under him from like 27th to 10th  in ypg and ppg. 

• Like 1

I only hope he didn't let NO reconsider the obvious decision to move on from HC Dennis Allen & OC Pete Carmichael.  At the very least, OC Carmichael should be a goner.  But I'm skeptical.

In that respect, ATL may have lost the battle, but won the war here.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pscottdai said:

And beast rookie RB

I think thats a bit overblown by the media and people are just taking that at face value from them running their mouth.   

Bijan was top 10 in the entire nfl in all purpose yards from scrimmage and that includes RB's, WR's and TE's.   

This would put him at #5 in the NFL for RB's in his rookie season with about 1500 yards from scrimmage.  This is also missing pretty much an entire game from his sick game where he took 1 snap.  He was also 12 in the entire nfl in touches by a player with 272  Which was only about 25 touches away from being top 5.  Again this is with him missing an entire game but 1 snap from being sick. 

Then you take into account that the Falcons have 2 more RB's on the roster that are more than capable of carrying the rock at a high level in All gears and CP who you can't just ignore. 

He was used quite well honestly and the media just made a big stink about it because of 1 or 2 games.

Edited by FalconFan13

3 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Any offensive coach has to be salivating looking at their highly drafted weapons on offense. Defense is decent, too, iirc. And that division is awful. Gotta be a highly sought after gig. 

You got also no QBotF and, at this time, no clear path of getting one. I think it's pretty mid - I would take LAC, CHI (if it opens) and WAS jobs over Atlanta's.

I wonder how much Smith tying himself to Ridder impacted this decision. It seems that offensive-minded head coaches block their own teams' attempts to upgrade the QB because they believe they don't need elite talent to run their offense. That may be true for a season or two, but typically not year-over-year.