Packers 2024 Opponents

Brat&Beer

Just now, incognito_man said:

No teams coming off a bye is really big. I'd guess. Actually that's a good research question for chatGPT. We should find out the relative advantage or disadvantage of playing teams coming off bye weeks. I wonder if geographic distance is important, too. 

Try to calculate each team's total "rest hours" heading into a game and calculate total time advantages over the course of a season.

I read an article a few years back that the biggest advantage was for an Eastern time zone team playing a Pacific time zone team, at home, in the early kickoff.  All other match-ups were pretty close to typical home field advantage that is expected, even Pacific teams going to the East in the afternoon.  

• Like 1

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

I read an article a few years back that the biggest advantage was for an Eastern time zone team playing a Pacific time zone team, at home, in the early kickoff.  All other match-ups were pretty close to typical home field advantage that is expected, even Pacific teams going to the East in the afternoon.  

yeah, that west coast to east coast with the noon/1pm start time is rough on the west coast team.  3 hour time difference is tough to overcome when a team travels on Saturday.  not sure if more teams are traveling 1 extra day ahead to help offset that

Well, the moment of truth got here and I stick with my 12-5 prediction or therebouts, and that could depend on a number of things.  Going to get a couple of AFC South teams early too that we've had trouble with in the past, but I feel like we might finally be in position to change that

Week 1 @ Philly (W/L 50-50) - I won't even try to predict this international oddity in BRZ.  I get a feeling it'll be a crazy one, just hopefully one that doesn't have all kinds of injuries pile up on us right away

Week 2 vs Indy (W) - Finally got these blue punks right where I want them and we'll finally kick their *****.  I mean that is assuming we are still at pretty much full strength, but after letting the last 3 slip away vs these guys, we're way overdue to pound them.  Two extra days to rest and the fact that LaFleur hasn't dropped a home opener yet, I say W.

Week 3 @ Tenn (W) - Got my eye on this one.  Nashville has been thus far the third worst city for the Packers to play in behind Buffalo and Indy.  The good news is we might have a Titans team that'll be still trying to figure it out, and I just don't buy Levis as a quality QB or Brian Callahan as a good coach.  Now, if we win this game, it won't be a blowout and it'll be much closer than it should be.  But I feel like if there ever was a year to finally notch a win in the music city, this is it.

Week 4 vs Minny (W) - We'll get our first look at JJ McCarthy here.  Unknown and certainly has a different playing style than Cousins, but I get a feeling he's going to attempt a lot more high risk throws than Cousins did.  If Hafley can confuse this young QB and get the heat up in his face as I expect him to do, this should be ours by at least 14.

Week 5 @ LAR - (L) - Yeah I know we've owned the Rams over the last four meetings including that playoff game in 2020, but all of those were at home for us.  And don't forget Stafford didn't even play in the last two.  It's almost certain he will this time, the Rams will be healthy in all positions, and you'd better believe McVay has this one circled on the calendar.  Close one, but just feel like this time they're going to get us back after losing 4 straight to us.

Week 6 vs ARZ (W) - Should be a rebound week for us, though Hafley might want to take care how he goes about matching up on Harrison Jr

Week 7 vs HOU (W) - A little disappointed this isn't a prime time game, especially since there could be some offensive fireworks here.  Stroud vs Love ... shootout written all over that.  Likely a close one here, and probably the best Texans team we've faced yet.  But so far we've done it, and I believe we will again this year.

Week 8 at Jax (L) - It'll be warm out in this one, question is "how warm?"  Also the Jags have made it tough for us over the years even when we have won.  At times they've been a volatile team under Pederson where you'll see them play like Superbowl contenders one week, and then like scrubs the following week.  Unfortunately, I think we might have them at the wrong time this year and don't think this is a matchup that favors us.

Week 9 vs DET (W/L 50-50) - The battle for the NFC North begins here.  I think we split the two games with the Lions, just not sure if we'd be more likely to take this one, or the Thursday night game later.

Week 10 - Bye - couldn't have asked for a better time, right at the exact middle of the season

Week 11 @ Chicago (W) - Close one, but I think we still own the Bears

Week 12 vs San Fran (W/L 50-50)- Biggest game of the year and big playoff implications here.

Week 13 Vs Miami (W) - The Thanksgiving night special should have a win attached to it 

Week 14 @ DET (W/L 50-50) - Could be the deciding game for the NFC North

Week 15 @ SEA (W/L 50-50) - First time playing in Seattle in the post Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson era

Week 16 vs NOLA (W) - Saints never seem to do well up here especially in cold weather.

Week 17 @ Minny (W) - Time to finish up business of 2024 with a win here

Week 18 vs CHI (W) - Bears have now taken the Lions old spot on the calendar

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Week 1: Packers v. Eagles (Brazil)
Week 2: Packers v. Colts (Home Opener)
Week 3: Packers v Titans (Away)
Week 4: Packers v. Vikings (Home)
Week 5: Packers v. Rams (Away)
Week 6: Packers v Cardinals (Home)
Week 7: Packers v. Texans (Home)
Week 8: Packers v. Jaguars (Away)
Week 9: Packers v. Lions (Home)
Week 10: Bye Week
Week 11: Packers v Bears (Away)
Week 12: Packers v. 49ers (Home)
Week 13: Packers v Dolphins (Thanksgiving, Home)
Week 14: Packers v. Lions (TNF,  Away)
Week 15: Packers v Seahawks (SNF, Away)
Week 16: Packers v Saints (MNF, Home)
Week 17: Packers v Vikings (Away)
Week 18: Packers v. Bears (Home)

4 out of 5 AFC opponents in first 8 weeks. 

Need to be 7-2 at the bye, worst case scenario. If we get by Philly, I could see us 8-0 playing the Lions at home prior to the bye. 

Edited by Old Guy

Flying in from the west coast for the SF/GB game. Will be my second trip to Lambeau Field. I was a sophomore in high school in 2005 when I went to my first game. We played the Lions on SNF and were a terrible team that year. Samkon Gado went nuclear and we won in overtime. Temperature was in single digits when the game was over.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Haha21 said:

Flying in from the west coast for the SF/GB game. Will be my second trip to Lambeau Field. I was a sophomore in high school in 2005 when I went to my first game. We played the Lions on SNF and were a terrible team that year. Samkon Gado went nuclear and we won in overtime. Temperature was in single digits when the game was over.

The craziest play from that game was when Gado intentionally threw the ball out of the endzone to avoid a safety. One of the highest IQ plays I have ever seen.

• Like 1

The Packers are one of 12 teams that won't play anyone coming off a bye.

I've never paid too much attention to the schedule details, but I wouldn't have guessed there would be so many teams in this category.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

a good research question for chatGPT

There is no such thing.  You cannot use chatGPT to do research because it does not analyze data, does not understand or care about how ideas relate to each other, it simply gives you text that realistically seems like an answer that a real person might give to the answer, but there is no reason to believe that what it tells you is true or at least based on any actual information.  You should always understand that chatGPT does not (and cannot) understand what the hell it is talking about.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

15 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

There is no such thing.  You cannot use chatGPT to do research because it does not analyze data, does not understand or care about how ideas relate to each other, it simply gives you text that realistically seems like an answer that a real person might give to the answer, but there is no reason to believe that what it tells you is true or at least based on any actual information.  You should always understand that chatGPT does not (and cannot) understand what the hell it is talking about.

The greatest trick our future AI overlords ever pulled was convincing us it didn't exist.

• Like 1