Refugee

11 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Scroll down to career advaced splits

1st Q-- 487 carries // 1776 yards // 3.6 ypc

2nd Q -- 497 // 2706 // 5.4

3rd Q -- 511 // 2550 // 5.0

4th Q -- 510 // 2385 // 4.7

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HenrDe00/splits/

Not sure 2017 Henry stats are relevant. Last two years are sufficient for me to see he's at his best now in his first 10 carries

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Do we need this kind of guy for this offense? Not a dig, a question. There always seems to be depth at the RB position on the free agent market because teams don't want to pay them. 

No.  We do not.  Regarding Jacobs.  But the point is, you can get a better player/impact at say $12M on a RB than you will on a comparable player at WR.  

Look at it this way, who is better for our team,  MVS or Lazard  at $10-12M/year?  Or a RB like Jacobs/Barkley at $10-12M/year.

That's the point.  More benefit to the offense due to how little RB's are paid now compared to WR's.  The names are irrelevant.  It's positional value and impact relative to the contract. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Not sure 2017 Henry stats are relevant. Last two years are sufficient for me to see he's at his best now in his first 10 carries

Where are you getting the specific breakdown on ypc for carries 1-10, 11-20, etc?

I get the idea, but see a player in decline with less long term value vs other RB

Aaron Jones/Oline needs to ball out again. Stop McCaffery, limit Kittle (somehow). Be plus on turnovers. Pray for rain. ;) That gives them a good chance. Prediction though? 49'ers 30, Packers 19. (I couldn't have been the only one holding my breath every time Carlson attempted a PAT against the Cowboys.)

Gawd I hope I eat crow. 

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Where are you getting the specific breakdown on ypc for carries 1-10, 11-20, etc?

I get the idea, but see a player in decline with less long term value vs other RB

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/2061188/derrick-henry/splits/2023/

Don't need him long term. Would make for an elite couple years paired with Jones and the young WRs.

RB3 is replaceable by a late rookie

I know Dillon turned into the whipping boy this year, but he was the main RB when our oline was baaad.  He's solid but unspectacular, steady and a very good blocker. Continuity is important and a 3/10 contract will see him back next year.

Keeping Love upright is the key. Watch a highlight reel of Love and you'll be surprised how many times Dillon is part of it. He's never going to be Jones, but he's a good compliment to this offense.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I know Dillon turned into the whipping boy this year, but he was the main RB when our oline was baaad.  He's solid but unspectacular, steady and a very good blocker. Continuity is important and a 3/10 contract will see him back next year.

Keeping Love upright is the key. Watch a highlight reel of Love and you'll be surprised how many times Dillon is part of it. He's never going to be Jones, but he's a good compliment to this offense.

I'd be fine with Dillon on a small contract. But only then. My problem with Dillon and 250pnd RB's in general in this day and age is that given the current rules (e.g., no leading with the helmet) and increased awareness of post-retirement dementia caused by head injuries, is there a benefit in having a 250+ pnd running back anymore? Dillon doesn't bang inside with low pad level very much. I get it. It's an understandable business decision and a health decision. But again, then what's the point of having a slower, less elusive 250pnd back if he isn't gonna pound and/ir can't be used to pound? If they want a complimentary, bigger back, then I'd say a quicker, more elusive RB than Dillon at about 230pnds tops (who can still pass block) makes more sense. Either move forward with Emanuel Wilson (5'11, 225pnds) or if they find someone better in the lower end of the draft (or they wanna splurge, perhaps a Trey Benson,FSU, if he can still be had in, say, round 3). Plus they might want to also draft a backup to Jones at more his size. 

Edited by DWhitehurst

Even early in his career, Jones has never been a guy who could be expected to carry a heavy workload all season.  It's even more true now.  GB needs someone who can split the RB workload without the offense seeing a large dropoff whenever Jones leaves the field.  I'm sure Gute drafted Dillon thinking he could be that guy, but he's not.  It's time to try again.  Dillon as RB3 on a near minimum deal sounds fine.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, craig said:

Henry:  I'll accept whatever path Gute decides to take, they've earned it.  But I admit I'm not too motivated to add a Henry-in-his-30's to Jones-who'll-turn-30.  This is an all-young, all-energy team, I'd lean toward a younger pathway.  

Jones:  They love Jones, he's great in our system, and he's earned so much good-will within the fan-base and the organization.  He would be well-served to re-work deal and stay with Packers as long as he can.  He's got a chance to have a lifetime of commercials or media opportunities or whatever for decades.  And obviously a chance to be part of a really good offense with serious playoff possibilities next year and beyond.  So I assume he'll make it work so that he'll be back next year.  

I'd sign Henry and have him play in Dillons role (if he's willing to do that?).  If Henry and Jones can split time that would be ideal.  Henry would change they way defenses play the Packers just like Watson does.  

You can also draft a RB in addition to Henry to groom for down the road.  Henry late in the season would great for Lambeau.  Defenses come up for the run, allowing Love to have a shooting gallery in the secondary.

Edited by NFLGURU

What is too much for your number 2 RB? or more like 1.5, as you really do have to watch Jones' snap count.  Dillon had the 24th highest base salary this season, at 1.33 million and change.  That same exact salary ranks at 23rd for 2024, before any draft picks or free agency.  A 2 million dollar salary ties for 18th.  

I am not too worried about overpaying (a little) at RB right now.  We aren't paying our WRs or TEs anything.  IMO, it comes down to is Dillon the guy you want? I am leaning yes, but with a little no aftertaste.  

There's some familiarity there with Lafleur and Henry since he was the Titans OC before. In the year that Matt Lafleur was their OC(2018), Henry had 215 carries in a split backfield. The next year after Lafleur was gone his carries shot up to 303 and 378 the following year. 

Maybe Lafleur can sell him on the idea of being in a dynamic split backfield and being a crucial part of a Super Bowl run or 2. I have to imagine every free agent RB is watching this Packers offense and see the insane potential they have next year. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Not paying RBs a boatload (and other plug and play positions) is how you can win Super Bowls with your QB taking up 20% of the cap

How do you win Super Bowls with your QB taking up much less of the cap? Cause that's where we'll be for the next 3 years. Perfect time to throw 8-12m at a RB on a 3 year deal that comes off the books by then.

I've been saying it for awhile now, 2 more years with all our WRs on rookie deals, 3 more years for the TEs. As far as rookies seeking large contracts, right now I would say Tom is the only one looking big. Stokes needs to revert back to 2021 if he even wants any contract, Walker and Wyatt haven't done enough to warrant anything big. Myers would take a modest deal, too early to say on Walker. 

Paying a RB is something that's a poor decision probably 85% of the time, but we would qualify for a roster structure in the 15% (if we cut Jones based on him not wanting a paycut again) with Jones back I'd still toss 6-8m out there and see if Pollard or Henry would bite for a sick duo next year.

• Like 5

GB has a small window where they'll be paying relative peanuts at the WR and TE positions.  The Love extension will be structured to be cap friendly the first couple of seasons. This is the perfect time to invest a little extra at RB and load up the offense for a legit SB run.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

How do you win Super Bowls with your QB taking up much less of the cap? Cause that's where we'll be for the next 3 years. Perfect time to throw 8-12m at a RB on a 3 year deal that comes off the books by then.

I've been saying it for awhile now, 2 more years with all our WRs on rookie deals, 3 more years for the TEs. As far as rookies seeking large contracts, right now I would say Tom is the only one looking big. Stokes needs to revert back to 2021 if he even wants any contract, Walker and Wyatt haven't done enough to warrant anything big. Myers would take a modest deal, too early to say on Walker. 

Paying a RB is something that's a poor decision probably 85% of the time, but we would qualify for a roster structure in the 15% (if we cut Jones based on him not wanting a paycut again) with Jones back I'd still toss 6-8m out there and see if Pollard or Henry would bite for a sick duo next year.

You think DT would sign for that?