Titans fire Mike Vrabel

ET80

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

And I feel as if Raiders co-owner Tom Brady will convince his old teammate and fellow Patriots legend to sign there too...

Which would complete the circle of baffling decisions. Raiders HAVE their HC, don't overthink Antonio Pierce.

I dunno if this was quoted before my post or not, but Tom Brady didn't actually get any ownership of the Raiders. NFL shot that down (at least for now) because Brady's stake would have been sold to him at a discount and the NFL isn't allowing that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, -Hope- said:

i mean, if he has object permanence he should understand the difference between trading away a young star in his prime and declining, expensive veterans. we had an opportunity to embrace a rebuild, failed to do so, and got an incredibly crappy season out of it anyway.

That Twitter thread is basically criticizing Vrabel for not embracing tanking. Why would he? His job is to win games. Ask Miami how telling a coach to tank worked out so far. 

9 hours ago, renndawg37 said:

Maybe now we can get some real coaches on the staff. He hired his drinking buddies as coordinators and some moron as the offensive line coach. 

Could be worse. 

Devin McCourty said that when Steve Belichick was brought on as the safety coach, he walked in and literally said “I have no idea what I’m doing”, and they basically taught him what to do, lol.

13 hours ago, Leoric said:

Apparently he was fired for beating the Jaguars and messing up the tank job. He’s immediately the #2 guy in the market currently. When Harbaugh decides to stay at Michigan, He’s number 1. It’s not a great year of Head Coach candidates by any stretch of the imagination. 

that's like expecting a dog not to eat, do they even know what Vrabel is about?

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

that's like expecting a dog not to eat, do they even know what Vrabel is about?

Yeah, I don’t think that’s true at all.

At the end of the day, I think his stubbornness and loyalty was one of the reasons for his time ending here. Funny enough, it reminds me of Doug Pederson. You can be a top coach, but if you hang onto your guy for too long and/or refuse to make changes(Press Taylor for you guys), it’ll lead to a downward spiral.

21 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Yeah, I don’t think that’s true at all.

At the end of the day, I think his stubbornness and loyalty was one of the reasons for his time ending here. Funny enough, it reminds me of Doug Pederson. You can be a top coach, but if you hang onto your guy for too long and/or refuse to make changes(Press Taylor for you guys), it’ll lead to a downward spiral.

Yeah, he wasn't fired for not tanking.  From all reliable sources, it seems that when Ran came in, he saw that the Titans needed to rebuild.  Which they did.  Vrabel wanted to try and win now with the group they still had, and his vision won out.  It backfired horribly.

And as much as this is, by all appearances, a firing, the rumors are that he wanted out himself anyway.  He saw the writing on the wall that a rebuild was now inevitable, and his seat was gonna be hot next year, and since they're doing the rebuild now a year late, they aren't going to compete really next year either, and he'd be fired then.

I think it would have been better for the Titans if he was coaching one more season and the rebuild could go a little further, but he wasn't going to be keeping his job after three losing seasons.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Unbelievably stupid decision *if* he wanted to stay.

The guy on our forum yesterday said Vrabel did this himself, we had no idea what that meant. Today's report from Ian R backs this up. Was given options in order to stay he declined all so he was fired. Strange timing for all the New England stuff to come out right after the HOF thing that had Vrabel in NE.