Titans fire Mike Vrabel

ET80

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Hard for Vrabel to be on the "let's trade away our good players and we'll have draft capital!" train when the AJ Brown trade probably still gives him nightmares to this day.

I can understand that but if you want to keep veteran players instead of rebuilding then you better win with said players. And going 6-18 over your last 24 games obviously isn’t doing that. 

Edited by TitanSlim
  • Like 1

Just now, TitanSlim said:

I can understand that but if you want to keep veteran players instead of rebuilding then you better win with said players. And going 6-23 over your last 29 games obviously isn’t doing that. 

Years of bad drafting will do that to you, won't it? It's not like their roster screams 9-10+ wins.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Years of bad drafting will do that to you, won't it? It's not like their roster screams 9-10+ wins.

.......which is exactly why we needed to rebuild lmao. this is the entire point. why hang onto aging, expensive veterans when you have limited draft capital and a terrible roster around them that won't win games? ultimately vrabel bet on winning anyway and lost, and the team suffered for it.

• Like 1

Seems like Vrabel was pushed out for trying to win as much as possible and not embracing a tank. I get it, but it's going to be really hard to find a coach as good as he was, even once that roster is theoretically built back up.

Tennessee was a shock team to me. They were one of the least talented teams in the NFL, top to bottom. They had 2 superstars (Henry/Simmons), 1 of which was clearly on the way out of relevancy (Henry). The rest of their team was dreadful. Despite all of that, they managed to still win a very good chunk of games due to coaching.

I think this is a terrible move for Tennessee, even if it means their distant future roster-wise looks a little brighter.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

.......which is exactly why we needed to rebuild lmao. this is the entire point. why hang onto aging, expensive veterans when you have limited draft capital and a terrible roster around them that won't win games? ultimately vrabel bet on winning anyway and lost, and the team suffered for it.

Idk to me kind of seems like a circle of issues where both parties are to blame but the coach is the scapegoat here. Vrabel wanted a team to win now because you have Derrick Henry and some of those pieces already in place. Ownership wanted to rebuild, but it also seems like the pieces they gave Vrabel to work with were terrible anyways.

And also, I thought it was the owner, not Vrabel, who vetoed the Henry to BAL trade this year? That's what was widely reported. They also traded away Byard, but like who else are you trading? Tannehill was benched so it's hard to believe Vrabel was against trading him.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Idk to me kind of seems like a circle of issues where both parties are to blame but the coach is the scapegoat here. Vrabel wanted a team to win now because you have Derrick Henry and some of those pieces already in place. Ownership wanted to rebuild, but it also seems like the pieces they gave Vrabel to work with were terrible anyways.

And also, I thought it was the owner, not Vrabel, who vetoed the Henry to BAL trade this year? That's what was widely reported. They also traded away Byard, but like who else are you trading? Tannehill was benched so it's hard to believe Vrabel was against trading him.

that was reported by one random baltimore guy and categorically refuted by the most reputable beat writer in nashville lol

• Like 1

I'll start this by saying that I do think Vrabel is a good head coach.  So keep that in mind.

Vrabel is not a great coach, and I think fans of teams that aren't the Titans think he's a way, way better coach than people who follow the team closely.  He's a players guy who gets teams behind him, and at that, he's great.  He's fantastic.  He's a vocal leader, and players love playing for him.

That said.  He is not an Xs and Os guy.  He was an awful defensive coordinator in Houston, and when he was the effective DC in Tennessee, the team had the worst defense of his tenure.

His administration has also been awful at actually keeping players healthy.  Titans led the league in number of personnel for a third year in a row this season, and injuries to key players have derailed multiple seasons.  Oftentimes, injuries are just luck, but three years in a row of being the worst injured team in the league (and when your coach is an old school guy who runs practices a little bit differently than the rest of the league, well, it starts to look like not luck).  It also doesn't help when you trot out your already injured maybe-franchise-young-QB onto the field behind the worst OLine in the league in meaningless games.

He's also awful at changing something that's not working.  The Titans OC last year being the clearest example, but not the only one.  It's been a repeated problem with personnel where better players sit on the bench for reasons that no one knows.  Dennis Daley at OT all season last year is the best example there, but it's far from the only one.  This year, the Special Teams coordinator, who everyone has been calling to be fired for like three years now, was finally canned after a disastrous game where the Titans gave two TDs on special teams and lost their Pro Bowl punter for at least the season.

Lastly, there's been kind of a question about how competent Vrabel is at fielding a staff that develops and uses talent.  This one is harder to parse out because JRob made a lot of bad picks in his last couple of years with the Titans, but there's been a trend of young, highly drafted players never developing past the player they are in their rookie year.  Dillon Radunz, Treylon Burks, and Nicholas Petit-Frere all being examples.  Then there's players like Chig Okonkwo, who seem to go backwards.  I wonder if, after Vrabel, it starts to look like the bad roster situation wasn't 100 percent on JRob.  Admittedly, that one is more speculative, and it may be that JRob just screwed the pooch royally after 2020, but I don't think that's 100 percent the case.

TLDR: People have a perception that Vrabel is a better coach than he really is.

• Like 12

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'll start this by saying that I do think Vrabel is a good head coach.  So keep that in mind.

Vrabel is not a great coach, and I think fans of teams that aren't the Titans think he's a way, way better coach than people who follow the team closely.  He's a players guy who gets teams behind him, and at that, he's great.  He's fantastic.  He's a vocal leader, and players love playing for him.

That said.  He is not an Xs and Os guy.  He was an awful defensive coordinator in Houston, and when he was the effective DC in Tennessee, the team had the worst defense of his tenure.

His administration has also been awful at actually keeping players healthy.  Titans led the league in number of personnel for a third year in a row this season, and injuries to key players have derailed multiple seasons.  Oftentimes, injuries are just luck, but three years in a row of being the worst injured team in the league (and when your coach is an old school guy who runs practices a little bit differently than the rest of the league, well, it starts to look like not luck).  It also doesn't help when you trot out your already injured maybe-franchise-young-QB onto the field behind the worst OLine in the league in meaningless games.

He's also awful at changing something that's not working.  The Titans OC last year being the clearest example, but not the only one.  It's been a repeated problem with personnel where better players sit on the bench for reasons that no one knows.  Dennis Daley at OT all season last year is the best example there, but it's far from the only one.  This year, the Special Teams coordinator, who everyone has been calling to be fired for like three years now, was finally canned after a disastrous game where the Titans gave two TDs on special teams and lost their Pro Bowl punter for at least the season.

Lastly, there's been kind of a question about how competent Vrabel is at fielding a staff that develops and uses talent.  This one is harder to parse out because JRob made a lot of bad picks in his last couple of years with the Titans, but there's been a trend of young, highly drafted players never developing past the player they are in their rookie year.  Dillon Radunz, Treylon Burks, and Nicholas Petit-Frere all being examples.  Then there's players like Chig Okonkwo, who seem to go backwards.  I wonder if, after Vrabel, it starts to look like the bad roster situation wasn't 100 percent on JRob.  Admittedly, that one is more speculative, and it may be that JRob just screwed the pooch royally after 2020, but I don't think that's 100 percent the case.

TLDR: People have a perception that Vrabel is a better coach than he really is.

great post, though i would like to add to the bolded: it was not just the worst defense of his tenure. it was the worst defense in tennessee titans history, and one of the worst third-down defenses in the history of the NFL, which severely limited a season headlined by derrick henry's 2k year and possibly the *best* offense in titans history. what a wacky year that was lol

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

I remember during this past offseason I tried telling all the Titans fans that Treylon Burks had all the red flags around him of being a bust. But they were adamant he wasn't.

He had such a good training camp tho.😭

Just now, TitanSlim said:

He had such a good training camp tho.😭

Here's a little exercise to do in your head. Name a player that actually played on your team for a full season, that didn't have a good training camp.

It's partly media hype machine, and partly just training camp and actual games being entirely different animals.