Titans fire Mike Vrabel

ET80

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I wonder how much of this is Ran Carthon wanting his guy as HC - sort of to your point, behind the scenes the GM wants his guy and the HC wasn't going to bend the knee and be that guy.

for all his strengths, vrabel can be extremely frustrating as a coach. his personnel decisions are baffling, he's not an X's and O's guy, and in his entire tenure i don't think he once fielded a special teams unit that wasn't disastrous. next year was likely going to be something of a hot seat year for him. but this decision, i suspect, has much more to do with his reputed clashes with 2 GMs in 2 years than anything on the field. there was just a lot of discontent brewing in that front office and it's hard to say from what. if anything, carthon came in bending the knee himself! he said over and over again that he wanted to learn how things were done here and do the best he could for vrabel. it's baffling to me that they couldn't work things out, especially since carthon gave vrabel the first good draft class he's seen in like three entire years. just a baffling situation that we may never know the gory details of.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Former GM runs the roster into the ground, trades away young talent to draft JAGs, and the team expected Vrabel to achieve something with the horse**** drafting and roster construction over the previous couple of seasons?

Poverty franchise seeking it's way to return to the bottom of the league. 

This is what confuses me too. They traded/cut most of their talent, then apparently fired the coach because the team wasn't a playoff team? 

The math isn't mathing.

• Like 1

Just now, Ray Reed said:

Titans GM is definitely gonna hire Slowik now, right? Weren’t they both in SF?

That's actually an interesting pairing, and would really do well with Will Levis. I'm pretty certain that Slowik is taking an offer if it's there, but I also think he really struggled as both a play caller and play designer at times.

It doesn't mean he's not a good choice, just means he might not be ready yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Okay so basically:

1. This has nothing to do with the winning or not-winning of the team (screw off Schefter)
  2. This has everything to do with new ownership wanting their person
  3. They're like going to hire a young offensive minded coach (Slowik)
Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls