Raiders hire Antonio Pierce as Head Coach

20 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I don’t think that’s what JH is doing this time. He’s achieved everything he set out to do there, and now he wants to win a SB.

He’s got a 2nd interview in Atlanta today, and it looks pretty likely he’ll either be the Chargers or the Falcons coach. And for our sake I hope that Belichick to Atlanta deal falls through.

Meanwhile he's negotiating a "don't fire me clause" for cheating while at Michigan?  Sounds like a guy who wants to stay to me....

• Like 2

Just now, NYRaider said:

Agreed. I think our GM position is a lot less appealing considering the new GM doesn’t get to hire his own coach. 

I think while Pierce was the right hire it was done completely wrong. Because what is this mean? Does it mean that Pierce has the power because he got hired first? You can't rule it out anymore. Who actually drafts the players?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I think while Pierce was the right hire it was done completely wrong. Because what is this mean? Does it mean that Pierce has the power because he got hired first? You can't rule it out anymore. Who actually drafts the players?

If we somehow get Jayden Daniels, you'll know your answer pretty quickly

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Kelly will probably be back which is scary considering the bears built one of the worst teams in the league when he was with them. 

46 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Hiring an interim this cycle is bonkers. 

AP will try to buck the trend of interim coach failures (only 1 Jason Garrett has ever one a playoff game).

Jacobs is likely back now which is meh at his likely price tag. 

Players are talking their ish, they damn well better back it up now. 

Nail the OC and this could workout fine. But will all hinge on that hire. 

This hire implies Mark Davis thinks this team can compete now and we’ll likely make a bunch of win now moves this offseason like we did after hiring Ziegler / JMD. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Someone did, San Diego State and Stanford.

Are we better off with this hire? I don't think we are.

If the defense can maintain or even improve plus getting the offense back on track, why wouldn’t we be in a better place?

AP detractors are hilarious. The same questions they have for him can be applied to their preferred candidates as well.

As far as guys like Harbaugh and Bellichek, there’s no guarantee in success either. 

I would have loved Harbaugh, but has anyone considered that he genuinely didn’t have interest in our job?

And did you really think Mark would go back to the Patriot way with Bellichek?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Hiring an interim this cycle is bonkers. 

AP will try to buck the trend of interim coach failures (only 1 Jason Garrett has ever one a playoff game).

Jacobs is likely back now which is meh at his likely price tag. 

Players are talking their ish, they damn well better back it up now. 

Nail the OC and this could workout fine. But will all hinge on that hire. 

I don’t wanna hear ANY excuses if we win 6 games. Nothing. Nothing about players, the OC (which would be AP’s hire), nothing. If we win 6 games, the AP experiment is done. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Damn! I really wish you guys would have just kept the McZiegler duo. 

All kidding aside, good move by Mark Davis.

Others don't like it when you show up here. But I do. I appreciate you're honesty. 

• Like 5

Raiders should be an attractive spot for an OC. Got the tools to work with at WR/TE and RB. A team that has to be aggressive in getting a QB and a coach that will allow him to do what he wants on the offensive side. A job that could turn into anHC job really fast. 

• Like 1

Wanted harbough tbh.

However, my biggest concerns are answered. 

1) Having Marvin Lewis AND Coughlin around to help build a staff alleviates any concern I could possibly have for that 

2) Firing almost the whole offensive staff alleviates any concern I had over the offense.

He's already proven he's too good to go an entire season only winning 4-5 games. We're going to win, maybe 8,9, 10 games? I think his floor is mediocre. Which should give him at minimum 2 seasons. How much he wins is going to depend on what QB they can get in the building and who the playcaller is IMO.

Everything else is set, pretty sure Graham is still under contract so he's not going anywhere unless they fire him. Which would be absurd. We have talent and he's going to draw in more talent in FA for sure. 

• Like 6

Atlanta is definitely deciding between Bill or Jim. I’d personally go Jim if I was them. Easy choice imo. 

If I’m a betting man, I say it ends up like this:

Atl - Bellichick (I hope they get Harbaugh though. I don’t want Jim in the AFC West)

Was - Ben Johnson

LAC - Harbaugh

CAR - Bobby Slowik

Honestly I’d be more pumped up about Washington getting Ben Johnson and Panthers getting Bobby Slowik than Harbaugh or Bellichick. Ben Johnson with Drake Maye and all those weapons? Washington would be my early pick for NFC East winner. And Slowik definitely has the potential to turn Bryce completely around. Slowik/ Stroud was probably the most impressive QB/OC combo in the league this year.