2023 NFC Championship: 3) Detroit Lions @ 1) San Francisco 49ers

notthatbluestuff

Who wins the NFC?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the NFC?

• Detroit Lions
    • San Francisco 49ers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/28/2024 at 11:40 PM

Bosa been trash. Hutch has been a bigger force than him. Honestly Bosas impact as an elite defender in the NFL is booty. One of the biggest teases ever. If I’m Det I’m coming in and if I win the toss I want the ball! I’m unleashing Gibbs today, you see what monster did today? Enough, give us 30 Carrie’s and let him cook. Let em feel it. 

RBIG.gif

Edited by El Ramster
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Why? Rain does not favor either QB. Rain favors arm strength. Neither of these QBs have great arm strength. Acting like it’s advantage for Goff is massively incorrect.

All I can say is that my life is pretty plain, I like watching the puddles gather rain.

• Like 3

I'm really surprised the line is so wide - SF deserves to be the favorite, but 7 pts is really wide here.

It's all about the matchups why I say the above:

-DET's OL & run game are how you negate SF's excellent pass rush.    DET really should be featuring Jahmyr Gibbs more though.   Monty is fine as the thumper, but Gibbs speed and ability to take it to the house on any touch, is exactly what gives SF problems (much like how GB using Aaron Jones and no AJ Dillon was a blessing IMO).

-DET's ability to stop the run is exactly what gives SF more trouble.  

Now, DET's problems with coverage are real - and if Deebo Samuel was playing, I'd see the SF -6 or -7.   But without Deebo, it's just so much easier to roll coverage to Aiyuk and Kittle.    And if DET gets away from their run game, then pressure in Jared Goff's face is a real problem.   

I get SF deserves to be the favorite, but 7 pts feels like a reach.    In a TO-neutral game, SF wins by 3-4 pts IMO.    Should be a great game.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

SIDEBAR: I really wanted to see what Emmanuel Moseley could do with the Lions. It was a gut-punch when I heard he wasn't being retained, although I kind of understood with his injury probably giving the 49ers briantrust some apprehension. And then he signs with Detroit, and gets hurt again. He could have really helped them this season on the field, but from what I read via an article two weeks ago he's still doing his best mentoring the younger players on the roster. Turning 28 next year, so the door isn't closed on his career. He can make a comeback, but if he's never the same it was already a remarkable story having started out as a UDFA from Tennessee. 

9 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I'm really surprised the line is so wide - SF deserves to be the favorite, but 7 pts is really wide here.

It's all about the matchups why I say the above:

-DET's OL & run game are how you negate SF's excellent pass rush.    DET really should be featuring Jahmyr Gibbs more though.   Monty is fine as the thumper, but Gibbs speed and ability to take it to the house on any touch, is exactly what gives SF problems (much like how GB using Aaron Jones and no AJ Dillon was a blessing IMO).

-DET's ability to stop the run is exactly what gives SF more trouble.  

Now, DET's problems with coverage are real - and if Deebo Samuel was playing, I'd see the SF -6 or -7.   But without Deebo, it's just so much easier to roll coverage to Aiyuk and Kittle.    And if DET gets away from their run game, then pressure in Jared Goff's face is a real problem.   

I get SF deserves to be the favorite, but 7 pts feels like a reach.    In a TO-neutral game, SF wins by 3-4 pts IMO.    Should be a great game.

I get that folks may think the 7 points is a reach or too much, but when the Niners win, they win by 7+ points, minus the game on Saturday night. That was an anomaly result. I do wonder how much, if at all the spread changes if Deebo is ruled out before Sunday. 

I doubt that happens as it looks to be a true game time decision or even leaning a bit towards him playing. At the very least, I expect him to suit up and be a decoy as he was against the Cardinals earlier in the season. 

Agreed that Gibbs is going to be the guy the Niners defense will need to key on and stop. Jones broke a huge run late in the 4th quarter and Gibbs is more than capable of doing so. I will say, that play happened mainly due to Logan Ryan's incompetence and I think Brown may get back in the starting lineup. 

LaPorta is an animal but the Niners have always done well against opposing TEs, mainly because of our LBs and Warner in particular.

Brown is going to get his but Lenoir may be able to give him a nice battle in the slot.

What it comes down to is our DL and if they can get to Goff or not. Generally, the Niners defense has always defended Goff well. Wilks did not blitz at all against the Packers and I don't expect a heavy dosage of blitzes against the Lions but he will need to mix it up more and give Goff different looks. 

The Lions are legit but I think Purdy and the passing game is going to get back to form and be a little too much for that defense. The Niners should start pulling away late in the 2nd quarter or early 3rd quarter. 

• Like 1