Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

4 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Boston universities seem to be better at science and math than football. No one should be surprised that pedagogy and machine learning based analytics cant help a roster of 2 star athletes overcome a roster of 4 and 5 star athletes. 

People forget how weird it was when Harbaugh's Stanford teams were straight up mauling people.  Nerd schools aren't really supposed to be dominant at football.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Don't think anyone expected an active head coach to jet set for coordinator position.

It's a smart career move. He's betting on himself. If he does well...he'll be the hot interview for HC a few years from now. The guy's resume has some background to it. 

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

I think you are going to see more college HCs bailing down the road to the NFL.  College football is a lot less coaching and more portal and raising money these days.  It's a mess.

Well, good on LaFluer getting ahead of that curve. Hopefully this one works out.

It will be interesting to see how this affects our draft priorities/profile on all 3 levels of D. I still think we extend Kenny to make cap space but it depends on how important of a cog he will in Hafley’s scheme. LBs are currently high investment over safeties, that probably doesn’t change but what we ask from each might be different.

We’ve got our man, hope he turns this into a top notch banger of a unit or in a few years we can say we Hafley knew him. 

• Like 1

Gute and MLF have earned a ton of trust in their decision-making.  Two smart, thoughtful, thorough guys.  I trust their thoughtfulness, thoroughness, and process in making this decision.  

Obviously that doesn't mean it will work out, or that a new coach can make guys better than their actual talent-and-brains enables.  

But yeah, when there is an unexpected decision, it's good to listen and try to understand why MLF/Gute made it.  I think it will be fun to hear MLF talk about this, and Gute if he does.  

But yeah, given their record of good decisions lately, I'm going to assume they made a reasonable, rational, and good decision here as well, until/unless there is evidence to the contrary.  Wishing Gute, MLF, Hafley, and the team all kinds of success moving forward!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, craig said:

Do you guys remember when MM transitioned from 4-3 to 3-4, and what a primary reason expressed was?  I remember thinking that 3-4 was about getting better pass rush.  But MM's rationale was getting better run defense.  Not sure Packers have run it lately like MM originally envisioned, but his original conception was that they'd have 5 guys on the line instead of 4, by counting the OLB.  That this would better protect against runners getting around the corner.  And that the spacing between guys could be smaller, so the running gaps would be narrowed. 

Craig I don't recall it being as much about run d as I recall it being about all those tweeners that were tough to draft they weren't big enough to be 43 ends but were better suited to 34 olbrs. That is what I recall at the time. Could be wrong but drafting and players available had to do with it too. Now more teams run smaller or larger olb's so it's a moot point to a degree depending on coach and his desire. 

• Like 2

It's all a wait and see.  Talk is cheap .. production matters.  Hafley will probably have a fairly talented roster to work with, so the results need to be there.  It sounds like we can expect a much more aggressive scheme, and hopefully he can fit the right pieces into place.  I think Barry failed miserably to take advantage of what a lot of his players do best.  Your turn now Hafley. Make it good.  

• Like 2