Raiders DON'T hire Kliff Kingsbury as OC

8 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

He's all but said he won't play for them, and it's a stretch to say "all but". 

They may indeed draft him. I would if I were them, just to humble his ***. But he won't take a snap for the Chicago Bears.  He'll get swapped a'la Eli Manning-Philip Rivers. 

I just read an SI article that says WIlliams would play for the Bears if he was drafted one overall...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/03/caleb-williams-camp-refutes-colin-cowherd-anti-bears-narrative

12 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Out on the new regime. Sick of this mediocre ****. I want to win

Well, the new coach posted a winning record with a poor rookie QB, an OC who’d never called plays before and thrown in mid season plus he beat the Superbowl Champs on the way, so I’d think there is some reason to be optimistic. 

Sometimes the big names are not the right guys, I’m taking a wait and see approach as there are a lot of unknowns at this point, too many moving parts to try and second guess what they’ll be like.

I think we pretty much all want to win (well apart from one or two who just want to be right 😁) and the truth is we’re on the toboggan and we don’t have any real control so just hang on for the ride!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

This is more of a bad look than actual loss for the Raiders. 

Annoying 

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think it reflects that poorly on the Raiders, coaches have pulled out before and it doesn’t look great on the individual but the organisation doesn’t really get tarred with the same brush.

8 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Annoying 

I originally thought the same. Now we’re hiring Getsy, so losing out on Kliff now actually is a loss…

• Like 1

10 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Annoying 

The Raiders scrapped the bottom of the barrel at HC, OC, and GM. Primarily because no competent candidates at OC / GM wanted to work with AP. I guess the starter jacket, screaming Raiders, and beating up on backup QBs didn’t sell them like it sold the fanbase and mark Davis. 

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Well, the new coach posted a winning record with a poor rookie QB, an OC who’d never called plays before and thrown in mid season plus he beat the Superbowl Champs on the way, so I’d think there is some reason to be optimistic. 

Sometimes the big names are not the right guys, I’m taking a wait and see approach as there are a lot of unknowns at this point, too many moving parts to try and second guess what they’ll be like.

I think we pretty much all want to win (well apart from one or two who just want to be right 😁) and the truth is we’re on the toboggan and we don’t have any real control so just hang on for the ride!

It’s not about big names, we just hired a GM and an OC that were terrible elsewhere and were fired because of it. I genuinely can’t even remember the last time an OC and GM were given a shot the following year after being fired, let alone 2 for the same team. 

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think it reflects that poorly on the Raiders, coaches have pulled out before and it doesn’t look great on the individual but the organisation doesn’t really get tarred with the same brush.

I think it just acts as another example of them navigating this period poorly. For me it shows that they haven’t got the sequence, the communication or the timing right. 

They seemed to be waiting to possibly interview Kubiak, missing out on a couple of other guys and with the 49ers winning, they deemed it would take too long and then settled on Kingsbury. Only to be left at the altar and have to go for your 2nd, 3rd or whatever choice.

Doesn’t seem like a smooth operation to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

While I am frustrated by the process, I very much agree here. We have no idea how this is going to play out and I still think we are in pretty good shape to improve from what was a promising end to the season. Nothing that has happened in between makes me feel like the recent additions of Telesco, Getsy, Lewis - plus retaining Graham will send us wildly off that trajectory.

Plus, I am interested in some of the fringe coaching hires. There look to be some young minds mixed in with the likes of Lewis and Ryan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reddevil said:

I think it just acts as another example of them navigating this period poorly. For me it shows that they haven’t got the sequence, the communication or the timing right. 

They seemed to be waiting to possibly interview Kubiak, missing out on a couple of other guys and with the 49ers winning, they deemed it would take too long and then settled on Kingsbury. Only to be left at the altar and have to go for your 2nd, 3rd or whatever choice.

Doesn’t seem like a smooth operation to me.

Mark saying GM first and then giving AP the job before hiring the GM. It starts at the top and rolls downhill. Dysfunction and good enough to work for as long as you don't get a better offer. He got a better offer so good for KK. It's who we're hiring at OC as the fall back that screams WTF?!? Mack trade, no compensation for Carr and that was two different coaches but one man there the whole time. MARK DAVIS! He gets a lot of slack because he is Al's son but the CULTURE of once a Raider always a Raider is GONE and this organization is living off it's past reputation and has been even before Al passed. I hope AP can find and bring back some of what is lost because even as a fan base we are not a unit...

Good news is if we suck I'll get to see a few games cheap. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The Raiders scrapped the bottom of the barrel at HC, OC, and GM. Primarily because no competent candidates at OC / GM wanted to work with AP. I guess the starter jacket, screaming Raiders, and beating up on backup QBs didn’t sell them like it sold the fanbase and mark Davis. 

This is just straight up nonsense

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

This is just straight up nonsense

You think Getsy and Telesco were quality candidates? Did you miss their performances the last two seasons. They were both fired by bad teams for a reason bud, and it wasn’t great performance.

Just now, NYRaider said:

You think Getsy and Telesco were quality candidates? Did you miss their performances the last two seasons. They were both fired by bad teams for a reason bud, and it wasn’t great performance.

I agree with Getsy being awful, but Telesco was not bad at all. I’m underwhelmed by that hire too, but he put talent on the Chargers roster. He just couldn’t get the right HC in place. 

Im mostly disagreeing with you about the rest of your post. The Raiders casted a wide net of respectable candidates for OC and GM. I think they absolutely should have been more diligent with their HC search, but AP was their guy and rightfully so.

• Like 2