Raiders hire Marvin Lewis as Assistant Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

21 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Beyond his experience as HC, Marvin had one of the best defensive minds in the game. Not sure if he's evolved as the game's evolved or not, but if he has, another bonus.

If nothing else, he's just there to be a mentor and guide to pierce, which is a great thing.

My only objection to bringing in Marvin Lewis is that apparently Hue Jackson is joining the staff as Marvin & he are friends.   I'm dead serious when I say that guy has no business being on any staff.   Dude's a total cancer (let alone a 0 in actualy contribution of his own work).

No objections to Marvin Lewis as an advisor/assistant, though.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Patrick Graham is an elite DC.

is-he-though-thor.gif

Would like to see a guy field an elite defense (or close to it) before being called an elite defensive coordinator. Talent definitely wasn’t in his favor, but it’s not like he’s got a track record of success/having guys overachieve like they did in 2023. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

My only objection to bringing in Marvin Lewis is that apparently Hue Jackson is joining the staff as Marvin & he are friends.   I'm dead serious when I say that guy has no business being on any staff.   Dude's a total cancer (let alone a 0 in actualy contribution of his own work).

No objections to Marvin Lewis as an advisor/assistant, though.

Hue was Mark Davis' first head coach as owner

6 hours ago, Soko said:

is-he-though-thor.gif

Would like to see a guy field an elite defense (or close to it) before being called an elite defensive coordinator. Talent definitely wasn’t in his favor, but it’s not like he’s got a track record of success/having guys overachieve like they did in 2023. 

He has one pro bowl level player on the defensive side.  1.  After AP was installed as the interim he pushed that unit to top 10 from the mid 20s when allowed to cook.  I'm not usually a hype guy for anything Raiders (I've learned my lesson) but without Graham, we'd be lost on defense.  His system takes time. McDaniels didn't help anything.  However, Graham in the truth.  

8 hours ago, Soko said:

is-he-though-thor.gif

This. 

Calling him elite is seriously putting the cart before the horse for no reason. 

Track record matters. I wanted him gone before AP took over. I still have serious reservations, but I'll give him a year. But "elite"? No flippin way. 

14 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

100%. There's lots of reports of exactly this. It's also partly why we hired Telesco over Dodds and co. Mark did not to pair a rookie HC with a rookie GM.

Hiring AP and surrounding him with experienced former coaches was the plan from the beginning. 

I get it but still I'd rather have Dodd over Telesco.

5 hours ago, Totty said:

He has one pro bowl level player on the defensive side.  1.  After AP was installed as the interim he pushed that unit to top 10 from the mid 20s when allowed to cook.  I'm not usually a hype guy for anything Raiders (I've learned my lesson) but without Graham, we'd be lost on defense.  His system takes time. McDaniels didn't help anything.  However, Graham in the truth.  

Yeah, I understand the lack of talent defensively. I understand the jump, but like I said, kinda wanna see a guy field an actually elite defense before being called an elite DC. Especially more than a half+ season’s worth, when the tracked record already really isn’t there for that kind of label. Is it a super impressive job that, mid(ish) season, Graham was able to turn a unit that’s bottom 5 in talent, into a top third unit? Absolutely. Just, not going to say he’s the best or top 2-3 coordinator for it.

Edited by Soko

8 minutes ago, Soko said:

Yeah, I understand the lack of talent defensively. I understand the jump, but like I said, kinda wanna see a guy field an actually elite defense before being called an elite DC. Especially more than a half+ season’s worth, when the tracked record already really isn’t there for that kind of label. Is it a super impressive job that, mid(ish) season, Graham was able to turn a unit that’s bottom 5 in talent, into a top third unit? Absolutely. Just, not going to say he’s the best or top 2-3 coordinator for it.

I get it.  The trajectory is definitely pointing up.  

Solid hire, but his tenure as a head coach for 14 years never made sense. 0 playoff wins in 7 appearances and they were usually 8-8. 

Pierce looks like he wants to make sure this gets off to the right start with an advisor.