Should 49ers have received first in OT?

Manny/Patrick

Here's a Twitter post from 2022 when the new rule was first announced, so no emotion bias based on this game

And here is a pretty comprehensive ESPN article. Not saying this is all right, but it definitely explores all the arguments and leans towards stats over intuition
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39541332/49ers-chiefs-super-bowl-2024-decision-coin-toss-kyle-shanahan-mistake

2 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Here's a Twitter post from 2022 when the new rule was first announced, so no emotion bias based on this game

Different look at it as well....nominal difference from based on the sims, I imagine, but also incorporating a lot of Brian's work: 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Different look at it as well....nominal difference from based on the sims, I imagine, but also incorporating a lot of Brian's work: 

If my guy thinks I'm not willing to argue over .6%, he don't know the web.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Forge said:

This.

It's a coin flip.

We might as well be debating if they were wrong to call tails on the coin flip. It's the logical equivalent.

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Brock Purdy is the .6%.

60% this year.

new.png

Webby could probably save a solid 7 dollars a month in data hosting fees from my rants, if people would just flip their rankings/perspectives of those two.

It's like, people want to have subjective opinions when making ranked lists or something, and as a volunteer comparison police officer - I obv can't allow that.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 9:43 AM, warfelg said:

The Ringer is reporting that Chiefs players knew and have practiced the new playoff overtime rules going back to TC, and Niners players (Armstead among them) are saying they didn’t learn about the new OT rules until it happened.

I think one spot Reid needs continued praise on from his Philly days until now is that he’s really worked on being a better situational coach and has gotten better at knowing rules like this.  Shanahan has seemed overwhelmed by situational or interesting rules concepts at times where his teams just dodn’t know about it.

Was Reid really that bad at situational football back with Philly???

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Was Reid really that bad at situational football back with Philly???

I lived in the area but wasn't a fan.  But local media roasted him all the time for the going for it, clock management, over use of screens in long down situations.  The clock management was bad.  I remember a game they lost by 3, and he want into halftime with two TO's in the pocket and they had the ball to end the half failing to get a FG off after running the ball 2 times on 1st down with Westbrook.

• Like 1

There’s only been one SB OT with the new rules, and two SB OTs overall. How the hell is that enough statistical data to draw a conclusion through analytics? Are they just making up data using “simulations”?

This is part of the reason I don’t like Analytics.  It seems like with things like this it’s not actually backed up by real data, but guesswork of a game played on a computer somewhere. 

4 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

There’s only been one SB OT with the new rules, and two SB OTs overall. How the hell is that enough statistical data to draw a conclusion through analytics? Are they just making up data using “simulations”?

This is part of the reason I don’t like Analytics.  It seems like with things like this it’s not actually backed up by real data, but guesswork of a game played on a computer somewhere. 

The new playoff overtime situation is very similar to NCAA’s structure that has been used for years. 

26 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The new playoff overtime situation is very similar to NCAA’s structure that has been used for years. 

Meh, I’ll stick with what Andy Reid thinks is right. Defer, go for two. Until there’s enough data to prove otherwise

29 minutes ago, warfelg said:

NCAA doesn't have a sudden death component.  Each team gets an equal number of possessions.  

10 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Meh, I’ll stick with what Andy Reid thinks is right. Defer, go for two. Until there’s enough data to prove otherwise

That’s the side I’m on. 

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

NCAA doesn't have a sudden death component.  Each team gets an equal number of possessions.  

Yes but if the team that goes second knows they need a TD, it tips the odds in their favor to win.