49ers fire defensive coordinator Steve Wilks

MaddHatter

9 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

In the superbowl?

I don't see what that has to do with Wilks getting fired. The defense underperformed the entire year, including these playoffs minus one half vs KC

25 minutes ago, adamq said:

28.6 ppg, 2nd best in the league 

So what you're really saying is Kyle's offense didn't live up to his regular season success in the biggest game of the season? 

3 minutes ago, adamq said:

I don't see what that has to do with Wilks getting fired. The defense underperformed the entire year, including these playoffs minus one half vs KC

Wilks Defense gave up 17.5 on the season?? Which is only 2pts less then what was given up in regulation of the SB (19).  How is that underperforming?

That loss is on Kyle, scapegoat or not!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So what you're really saying is Kyle's offense didn't live up to his regular season success in the biggest game of the season? 

But it also outscored the season average KC gave up by 5 points. Was actually a pretty good compromise that KC got a slightly better end of, admittedly. 

7 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Wilks Defense gave up 17.5 on the season?? Which is only 2pts less then what was given up in regulation of the SB (19).  How is that underperforming?

Because it benefitted a ton from the offense. Again, this is something that people have been talking about all year. I've been saying they are overrated all year. The defense wasn't all that great, and certainly should have been better with the roster it has. Look at the numbers @Xenos just posted . And there are others.  Since week 11, they were legitimately a bottom 10 defense in a lot of metrics. All lead up to the super bowl it was people talking about how bad the 49ers defense had been. 49ers writers had been talking about this for weeks, and the forum has been talking about it for more than half the year about wilks being one and done. 

It just wasn't a fit. It was a bad hiring from jump. He's not getting fired because of the super bowl, he did fine there outside of a few instances. He did better than I expected at any rate. 

As @iknowcool said, I think he's a guy that should be a position coach + assistant head coach. He seems to be an excellent secondary coach. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Waiting for a second person to report this, but it seems that Kyle's game plan held KC to those 19 points in regulation 

• Like 1

It feels a lot like most Niner fans who watched all the games this season agree that the defense generally underperformed this season. Most of the scapegoat accusations are coming from fans of other teams. I thought Kyle was going to give him one more season but I agree with the call. Our defense was way too talented to have played like it did this year.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

He was a better HC than DC. Maybe its just because he was an interim but he's the only person who's looked functional as a HC in Carolina under Tepper

In a must-win game with the division on the line, he punted on 4th and 1 twice and fumbled an 11-point 4th quarter lead against the trash Bucs offense because his defense couldn't stop Mike Evans (10 receptions, 207 yards, 3 TDs).

2 weeks before his defense gave up a 20-play drive to Mitch Trubisky and we lost

Don't even talk about the Bengals game under him.  Down 35 points at halftime, allowing Joe Mixon to score 5 TDs

Was he better than our other HCs?  Yeah, maybe, but that isn't saying much.  He's way too conservative and not a good enough defensive mind to make up for it.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Soko said:

Why the jokes?

SF regressed defensively with Wilks. Pretty similar roster to last year’s, minus Hufanga’s ACL but + Javon Hargrave and a half a season of Chase Young. 

Well in 22 they were 1st in points, 1st in yards, and 2nd in turnovers.

I'm not sure what we were expecting besides regression lol.

In 23 they were 3rd in points, 8th in yards and 5th in turnovers. 

I'd be really skeptical of joining SF if I was a DC candidate and I had to produce a top 3 defense my first year or get fired.

edit - while getting overruled by a micromanaging offensive HC

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PNWguy said:

Maybe Matt Canada was supposed to be a DC all along. Hire Canada! 

Well, Canada certainly has a knack for making bad defenses look really good, so maybe you're onto something.

25 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Well in 22 they were 1st in points, 1st in yards, and 2nd in turnovers.

I'm not sure what we were expecting besides regression lol.

In 23 they were 3rd in points, 8th in yards and 5th in turnovers. 

I'd be really skeptical of joining SF if I was a DC candidate and I had to produce a top 3 defense my first year or get fired.

edit - while getting overruled by a micromanaging offensive HC

Never heard one thing about shanny overruling the other dcs.   This was clearly just a bad fit from jump and a bad decision by shanny. He didn't even fit the profile. Saleh and Ryans were both rah rah sideline guys. Wilks is almost timid and locks himself in the booth. Really just a curious match all the way around

DC of the niners should be a high pressure job right now given the roster. But the upside is clearly obvious as well. The first two didn't take long to become head coaches. You have the players to be extremely successful and put your name in the spotlight. Don't think the next guy has to worry about one and done so much (don't want to cultivate that kind of rep) unless you are really bad, but definitely high expectations

• Like 1

Honestly the overruling stuff shouldn’t have come out. You can’t coach being locked in a box. I thought SF defense was phenomenal in the Super Bowl considering both teams Oline got away with murder. This guy still has to make a living and could easily fill out a team. This just makes it look bad from a PR stand point. I respect coaches much more when nothing comes out. Defense went to crap once Greenlaw went out, they lost that fire. Which again makes me point is Bosa really that guy? Big time players make big time plays. He’s just a fart in the wind every time i see him and Deebo. Yet they got the balls to talk like crazy and pull out that boom box.

@TecmoSuperJoe

@Forge

My sentiments weren’t to crap on Wilks. I just thought the world of Demeco. And it wasn’t fair for Wilks. Those were big shoes to fill. Which will always be a debate, how much does coaching matter? Either way you guys were being hopeful and that’s always the case when your team hires a person. That’s the beauty about it. Specially when he wasn’t allowed to run his defense. Which is weird because McVay did the same with Raheem. He made him run Staleys defense.. But yeah I wish Steve and his family the best.. Just don’t like the bad PR because Kyle is better than that. He’s always mentioned how much he hated how the media treated his dad in Den and in Wash. And for him to the same is a bit disappointing. 

• Like 1

Shanahan rolled the dice on someone outside the organization, and it didn't work out. Shanahan deserves some backlash for hiring Wilks, and putting him in a bind forcing him to run someone else's defense without any of his own assistants brought in. At the same time Wilks could have passed on the job. Sucks to see him shuffled out on to the street like a bag of garbage, but the NFL is brutal like that which everyone involved should understand. Kyle has to play ******* sometimes in these situations, and has a duty along with Lynch to do what is best for the franchise moving forward.