2024 Combine Talk

goldfishwars

I think MHJR would be a fool to go anywhere near the combine or pro day.  He has nothing to prove, he put it all on field and on tape.  Maybe the team interviews? But still, he can only hurt his stock, not help it.  He's not going to go Top 2, but very well could be in that 3 to 5 range and nothing he does will change where that ends up being.

• Like 1

For Marvin Harrison, he probably won't gain much by competing at the combine, but for a Jayden Daniels it absolutely could have an effect on his draft stock. If he lights the place up like Richardson last year it potentially puts him as QB #2 for many teams. 

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 3

From what I can gather, teams view the Combine like this in terms of priorities: 

1. Medicals 

2. Interviews

3. Measurements/Weigh Ins

4. Workouts - Which players hitting minimum thresholds. Some matter more than others.

Huge workouts are fun to watch, but we've seen teams being less re-active to eye-popping workouts than years gone. Whilst it's fun to predict growth from big athletic numbers, the game is a technique based sport and the tape is king. Processing and reaction times have a huge impact to on-field speed. A workout above/below expected should lead you to re-check the film.

Last year was a good case in point, we were all mocking Darnell Washington and Adetomiwa Adebawore in the first round after crazy numbers and the ended up going in the late 3rd and 4th round. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

For Marvin Harrison, he probably won't gain much by competing at the combine, but for a Jayden Daniels it absolutely could have an effect on his draft stock. If he lights the place up like Richardson last year it potentially puts him as QB #2 for many teams. 

Agreed.  For the lock blue chip guys, no reason to do anything.  Guys get injured in the combine every year.

For the next level guys, sure, they can raise their stock, but it is still a risk.  So it's a balancing act.  Anyone else who opts out raises suspicions.

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

From what I can gather, teams view the Combine like this in terms of priorities: 

1. Medicals 

2. Interviews

3. Measurements/Weigh Ins

4. Workouts - Which players hitting minimum thresholds. Some matter more than others.

Huge workouts are fun to watch, but we've seen teams being less re-active to eye-popping workouts than years gone. Whilst it's fun to predict growth from big athletic numbers, the game is a technique based sport and the tape is king. Processing and reaction times have a huge impact to on-field speed. A workout above/below expected should lead you to re-check the film.

Last year was a good case in point, we were all mocking Darnell Washington and Adetomiwa Adebawore in the first round after crazy numbers and the ended up going in the late 3rd and 4th round. 

Depends on the team. For the Saints, they really value these workouts. Basically only take players that score 9+ on the RAS (or real close to 9) the past several years with few exceptions. Kendre Miller was one of the exceptions, but he also likely would have scored high on the RAS had he been able to perform at the combine.

Edited by tyler735

4 hours ago, RedGold said:

Is it the yearly complain about players skipping bowl games and combine drills time period?

My complaint about not working out at the combine isn't because I think they're not competitive or are hiding something or anything absurd like that. I understand why the ones that don't choose not to and it makes sense for them in most cases. I just think those that aren't going to workout shouldn't get a spot, let them do their interviews and measurements at their pro days and give the combine spots to others that want the chance to get in front of NFL scouts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Depends on the team. For the Saints, they really value these workouts. Basically only take players that score 9+ on the RAS (or real close to 9) the past several years with few exceptions. Kendre Miller was one of the exceptions, but he also likely would have scored high on the RAS had he been able to perform at the combine.

Don’t doubt some teams have a high minimum thresholds for athleticism, but if it was the most important aspect to an evaluation then the Saints would have just drafted the highest RAS scorers.

7 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Don’t doubt some teams have a high minimum thresholds for athleticism, but if it was the most important aspect to an evaluation then the Saints would have just drafted the highest RAS scorers.

I didn’t say it was more important than film. I’m saying they very clearly place high value on these workouts.

Edited by tyler735