2024 Combine Talk

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

I dont think a RB goes in the first 2 rounds, but I think we see a run in rounds 3 and 4 with a number of guys who contribute early.

I think 54th was the longest an NFL Draft has gone without a RB being drafted - I could see that record being broken this year.  You have a lot of "RBBC" guys but no true 3-down workhorses that can do everything really well.

• Like 2

I’ll be surprised if the Chargers let Blake Corum get by them at pick #37. Likely being the 1st RB off the board. I thought Corum would be a great Ekeler replacement before Harbough even signed as their head coach. Now with him as the Chargers coach, I’d have to think he will be pounding the table for his guy Blake Corum.

Edited by tyler735

6 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I’ll be surprised if the Chargers let Blake Corum get by them at pick #37. Likely being the 1st RB off the board. I thought Corum would be a great Ekeler replacement before Harbough even signed as their head coach. Now with him as the Chargers coach, I’d have to think he will be pounding the table for his guy Blake Corum.

That's way, way higher than I've seen Corum mocked to anyone.

Like, I wouldn't be surprised to see Harbaugh pounding the table to take him earlier than the consensus, but B/R has him as a fifth rounder, CBS has him as RB10 and a Day 3 guy, NFLDraftbuzz has him 83rd overall, and the draft network has him on the fringe of Day 2 and 3.  PFN seems to be the highest on him, and they just say Day 2.  37th just seems like an incredible reach.  69th I'd believe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Corum at 37 might get someone fired... he's a 3rd at best and likely a 5th.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

The top of the class is crap. I do like a lot of the depth at the late day 2, day three spots. 

Yeah.  I really don't see anyone "special" at the RB spot in this draft.  But like most drafts, there should be plenty of Day2/3 guys who can contribute in a role or rotation.  And i'm sure there will be a couple who surprise at become real successful lead backs for someone, probably fairly early.

4 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Curious to see how Blake Corum does in the workouts. Pretty sure he’s my number 1 RB for this class. Should have a great rookie season with the Chargers.

Corum's performance fell off a lot from 2022 to 2023. He looks like a guy who's feeling the wear and tear. 

13 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Corum's performance fell off a lot from 2022 to 2023. He looks like a guy who's feeling the wear and tear. 

He started to look like himself again down the stretch in 2023, which was to be expected after a full meniscus repair after the 2022 season. Made several big plays against Washington and Alabama that showed his explosive cutting ability that made him so good in 2022.

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I’d venture to say there’s almost no chance he lasts until the 5th round. 

If the first RB doesn't come off the board until the 3rd, then you have Brooks, Wright, Estime, Irving, Davis, Corum, Lloyd, Allen, Benson and Guerendo all in that group that could go in any order depending on team, style and need.  Guerendo is projected as a 5th but arguably had the 3rd best season of any of the RB's in this class.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Late 3rd is probably the lowest he'll go. Someone will have a few spare comp picks or something, and why not at that point. 

Yeah agreed I’d be surprised if he makes it out of day 2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Late 3rd is probably the lowest he'll go. Someone will have a few spare comp picks or something, and why not at that point. 

Yeah.  Between people having picks to throw around, some weaker looking positions, and the Harbaugh factor...late 3rd/early 4th is probably about where i'd put Corum's realistic floor.  I think that and his championship pedigree probably put him nearer to the head of that big lump of late Day2/Early Day3 type RBs. In spite of running for an absolutely dominant team that might be exaggerating his ability.  Always a balance to consider between how teams will view "Production" vs "Tread Left On Tires" with a RB.  But i can see at the very least, Harbaugh pounding the table for his guy ahead of others he doesn't have that relationship and trust with.

I keep seeing people lazily compare Will Shipley to Christian McCaffrey. So frustrating when Will Shipley is clearly a mixture between Peyton Hillis and Toby Gerhart.

In all seriousness though, I do think there is a role for Shipley in the NFL. Maybe not as a feature back, but I think he could be a Jerrick Mckinnon type player that can be an asset when used correctly.

Edited by tyler735