2024 Combine Talk

goldfishwars

Is this the first year they’re doing bench press on the last day?

It makes sense. Don’t risk injuring guys before the on-field workouts or leave them feeling stiff. 
But in past years it seems we were getting those totals before they hit the field.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

Is this the first year they’re doing bench press on the last day?

It makes sense. Don’t risk injuring guys before the on-field workouts or leave them feeling stiff. 
But in past years it seems we were getting those totals before they hit the field.

That is different.  Interesting.  It was always funny because you'd end up with stupid immediate reaction hysteria about a guy doing really well/poorly on the bench press before anything else.  In one of the least important "events" of the combine.  I'll miss that hilarious overreaction.  😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

That is different.  Interesting.  It was always funny because you'd end up with stupid immediate reaction hysteria about a guy doing really well/poorly on the bench press before anything else.  In one of the least important "events" of the combine.  I'll miss that hilarious overreaction.  😆

Another fun sidenote to that, is if you look historically, much like the top 40 yard WR every year, the guy who blows everyone away with a crazy number rarely amounts to anything anyways. It always feels significant in the moment, but rarely translates.

• Like 1

Interesting how the on field schedule has changed by position. I remember it used to be I believe Day 1-OL/RB/SPT, Day 2-QB/WR/TE, Day 3-DL/LBs, Day 4-DBs.

I wonder when it changed and if there’s any reason why they changed the workout order and positions working out with each other.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Interesting how the on field schedule has changed by position. I remember it used to be I believe Day 1-OL/RB/SPT, Day 2-QB/WR/TE, Day 3-DL/LBs, Day 4-DBs.

I wonder when it changed and if there’s any reason why they changed the workout order and positions working out with each other.

I'm trying to pin down when it changed, but i can't really do it.  It was quite a few years ago though, where they started bringing in "Throwing QBs" who weren't even part of the combine per se, but were still there to toss some balls to various TEs, but also...WRs and RBs?  So idk.  I can't pinpoint a time where it changed, but i think you're right.

Seeing DBs on the same field at the same time as TEs more or less, is probably even more of a consideration in today's game though.  And probably seeing RBs vs WRs is an interesting one given the crossover we're starting to see there.  And seeing those guys with the "real QBs" potentially.

• Like 2

Never cared much for players skipping out on participating at the combine. Sounds like Marvin Harrison Jr won't be doing any drills. Pretty much none of the top QB's will be participating either. I get not playing in a meaningless bowl game where there is a higher risk for injury, but I just don't get how these guys aren't competitive enough to show why they are supposed to be the top prospects. Players like Stroud and Richardson looked great at the combine last year. 

Edited by tyler735

34 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Never cared much for players skipping out on participating at the combine. Sounds like Marvin Harrison Jr won't be doing any drills. Pretty much none of the top QB's will be participating either. I get not playing in a meaningless bowl game where there is a higher risk for injury, but I just don't get how these guys aren't competitive enough to show why they are supposed to be the top prospects. Players like Stroud and Richardson looked great at the combine last year. 

For certain guys, it doesn't bother me.

If you're MHJ and a top 5 lock, why risk pulling something doing non-football workouts?

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

For certain guys, it doesn't bother me.

If you're MHJ and a top 5 lock, why risk pulling something doing non-football workouts?

Yeah it's frustrating not to see what MHJ can do - but really he can only harm his stock by working out

• Like 1