2024 Combine Talk

goldfishwars

36 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I may have spoken too soon on Fiske not elevating his stock.

I didn't think he was a stud athlete. I knew he was good, but didn't expect these numbers to show "freak."

I put the most stock in broad jump when it comes to combine numbers for pass rushers. It's the best measure for explosive power and getoff translation IMO.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Blows my mind when undersized DL guys do not run. Like what are you resting on?

I think some of the time the decision of when to run is predicated on "the training isn't going well" since it's worse to be seen as small and slow instead of just small.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think some of the time the decision of when to run is predicated on "the training isn't going well" since it's worse to be seen as small and slow instead of just small.

Yeah I get it, but small and DND is like the tiniest notch above small and slow. Might even be worse if you factor in the competitive angle.  

3 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah I get it, but small and DND is like the tiniest notch above small and slow. Might even be worse if you factor in the competitive angle.  

You can always hope that between the combine and the pro day things will start going better in training, and it's not like the NFL has shown itself willing to hold things like "didn't work out at the combine" against players they like.

It's like when a student wants an extension on their essay, even when it's probably not going to be that much better with an extra week of work, the person asking probably thinks it does and that's what matters.

4 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

1. How do you believe something like this?

2. Why would you say this publicly?

3 Why would you say this publicly at essentially your job interview?

To be fair...if you're catastrophically stupid and you can shift the entire discourse of an interview to, "wtf is wrong with you the earth is not flat you idiot" instead of showing that you're completely incapable of grasping basic football knowledge, that's probably a huge win.  😆

15 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Chop Robinson is going to destroy the combine (this has nothing to do with my thoughts of him as a player) - he is a ridiculous athlete.

idk about this.  He's explosive but i'm not sure how he'll do at other things.  He's got that weird bow legged thing going on and is really reliant on "shock and awe" to win.  But the weird stance thing might also let him corner like crazy in those drills.  Who knows how that works.

3 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Is this really "good news" for Sweat though?  Like...he refused to weigh in at the Senior Bowl...presumably because he wanted to get things more under control.  And the weight he "cut down to" is 366?  Wtf was he at the Senior Bowl/End of College season that he wanted to hide?

I feel like that weight is a bit of a red flag for him if anything.  Dude likes to eat and i'd really question his cardio/stamina.  There's not as much room in the NFL today for a 2-downs and take a breather type NT anymore.  At least, not anywhere high in the draft as a "premium" pick.

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Bizarre arm length to hand size ratio for Maason Smith...

lol.  And i bet his tiny hands smell like cabbage too.

Almost reads like somebody read or entered the measurement wrong.  lol.

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

This dude's draft stock 'bout to become a ******* Rocketship off this big dumb flat earth globe.

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

For context, the "Birds aren't real" thing is a satirical conspiracy theory intended to poke fun at the leaps of logic that people who believe in actual conspiracy theories go through.  It's this generation's version of Pastafarianism- it's a sign the kid is weird,  and possibly too online, but not a sign the kid is an idiot.

Yeah.  If anything, if someone brought up the "pigeons recharging" thing, i'd take it as a sign that they might just be too smart to play football for a living.  😆

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Further to this point, i don't think it's atypical for guys who know that they're real "small" to spend a ton of time pre-draft focusing on trying to get "bigger".  Trying to bulk up and get stronger for a better weigh-in and maybe bench reps or whatever.  Which inherently is going to hurt some of their other metrics, including 40 yard dash time (which is kind of dumb for DL/EDGE anyway).

I don't know that it's really good advice, but plenty of these guys seem to get extremely bad training advice leading up to the thing.  Especially less high profile guys without access to the best agents and services.

Edited by Tugboat

5 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Further to this point, i don't think it's atypical for guys who know that they're real "small" to spend a ton of time pre-draft focusing on trying to get "bigger".  Trying to bulk up and get stronger for a better weigh-in and maybe bench reps or whatever.  Which inherently is going to hurt some of their other metrics, including 40 yard dash time (which is kind of dumb for DL/EDGE anyway).

I don't know that it's really good advice, but plenty of these guys seem to get extremely bad training advice leading up to the thing.  Especially less high profile guys without access to the best agents and services.

Yeah, the normal process is if people have questions about your size and your speed is that you work on the size for the combine, then ignore all of that and work on getting fast for your pro day.  It's like when guys drink salt water before the combine so the weigh in goes better- this does not make you want to run fast.

• Like 1