2024 Combine Talk

goldfishwars

23 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

So what's the difference between Chop and Rashan Gary as prospects?

My guy, I don’t know if you seriously expect me, or anyone, to just recall the notes I made on Rashan Gary as a prospect from five whole *** years ago. I don’t even remember if I liked Gary as a prospect.

But they have completely different builds and played different positions in college iirc. Gary played inside a lot, whereas Chop is a pure Edge.

Not sure what you’re getting at anyway, unless you’re trying to make the argument that Chop is Rashan Gary, in which case: lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

My guy, I don’t know if you seriously expect me, or anyone, to just recall the notes I made on Rashan Gary as a prospect from five whole *** years ago. I don’t even remember if I liked Gary as a prospect.

But they have completely different builds and played different positions in college iirc. Gary played inside a lot, whereas Chop is a pure Edge.

Not sure what you’re getting at anyway, unless you’re trying to make the argument that Chop is Rashan Gary, in which case: lol

No I was more just talking about Chop as an athletic projection.

I was TOTALLY wrong on Gary because he was misused a lot in college, but even then he was pretty much a pure athlete his first couple seasons before really taking off and being the dominant force he's been the last few years.

I was just comparing them both as freaks. But yeah, Gary can play anywhere on the DL imo and Chop flirts between 9 and 5 tech. 

I guess I'm just being optimistic about Chop Robinson. Which is funny because I normally HATE players that only with with athleticism. 

It feels weird that people's natural comparison for a 6026 254 Chop Robinson is the 6043 276 lb Rashan Gary.  Like we don't normally compare guys to other guys who played the same position when there's an inch and a half and 20 lbs difference between them, since those are obviously different players.  Like nobody was comparing Will McDonald IV to Chase Young, right?

Whether or not Chop works out in the NFL, has very little to do with "is he big enough" (don't ask him to do things he can't do) or "is he athletic enough" (he is).   The problem with him is mostly that Penn State does a great job recruiting, and a great job in the weight room, and it kind of stops there.  All those guys have a lot of actual football to learn.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 5

I mean Oweh comes to mind for me. Same school, minor production, but insane athlete.

FWIW I hated Oweh and Gary as prospects, if I’m being honest. Had some hilarious online arguments about Gary that were worth the chaos in and of themselves.

I actually think I really like Chop. Love might be a strong word because he’s a bit too much like Oweh on tape, with otherworldly athleticism but a shocking lack of production.

I think if a team trusts their position coaches, and is willing to semi-redshirt him year one they could have a top 10 rusher on their hands for the next 8 years. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

No I was more just talking about Chop as an athletic projection.

I was TOTALLY wrong on Gary because he was misused a lot in college, but even then he was pretty much a pure athlete his first couple seasons before really taking off and being the dominant force he's been the last few years.

I was just comparing them both as freaks. But yeah, Gary can play anywhere on the DL imo and Chop flirts between 9 and 5 tech. 

I guess I'm just being optimistic about Chop Robinson. Which is funny because I normally HATE players that only with with athleticism. 

Upside does hit sometimes. I don’t think Chop is worthless, I’m just low on him. He could turn into a very good player, but he’s gonna need a lot of work.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Amateur. 

30 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah.  I just really don't get where the comparison comes from.  They're almost about as opposite as possible from prospects as ostensibly the same "position" group.

You're talking about a huge powerful guy who tested well but on tape, just spent a lot of time loitering.  Vs a guy in Chop who is very obviously explosive and shifty, but super unclear if he has anything else whatsoever to his game.

It was mentioned earlier where...if he's Yan Ngakue, you probably take that on a rookie contract.  But Yan was also surprisingly an insanely refined technician in addition to just being fast and quick and agile to win as a pass rusher.

That kind of rusher can be really "feast or famine" though.  Either they get around clean or they get absolutely swallowed up, and that becomes a real problem in run defense depending on the scheme.

6 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

I mean Oweh comes to mind for me. Same school, minor production, but insane athlete.

FWIW I hated Oweh and Gary as prospects, if I’m being honest. Had some hilarious online arguments about Gary that were worth the chaos in and of themselves.

I actually think I really like Chop. Love might be a strong word because he’s a bit too much like Oweh on tape, with otherworldly athleticism but a shocking lack of production.

I think if a team trusts their position coaches, and is willing to semi-redshirt him year one they could have a top 10 rusher on their hands for the next 8 years. 

Oweh i see the comparison.  Not only same school, but to me...it's that same way Penn State use these guys.  They put them in a perfect schemed up position to win a lot.  It helps the team, it poofs up the prospects, everyone wins.  But at the NFL level...you just can't do that unless you've got a Micah Parsons who is just a complete freak who can wreck games singlehandedly if you build a scheme around him doing exactly that.

Oweh wasn't that guy.

I'm not convinced Chop is that guy either.

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Upside does hit sometimes. I don’t think Chop is worthless, I’m just low on him. He could turn into a very good player, but he’s gonna need a lot of work.

I'm mostly of the mind that the best, most "premium" pass rushers are the ones that you can just line up hat on a hat and have them dominate.  Draw extra attention event in pass protection.  Those are the guys you want and need.  I'm not sure Chop is that guy.

36 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I'm mostly of the mind that the best, most "premium" pass rushers are the ones that you can just line up hat on a hat and have them dominate.  Draw extra attention even in pass protection.  Those are the guys you want and need.  I'm not sure Chop is that guy.

Oftentimes you’re right about this.

BUT…we just mentioned Rashaan Gary, who it took a couple years to put it all together. But he got there. So it’s possible.

Jerry Hughes or maybe Jonathan Greenard are other guys I can think of. 

It’s a projection. One each GM has to take the plunge on if they buy the profile and think their coaches can develop them. Some prefer “safer” prospects. I would more often than not be the latter.

But I think I like Chop. That first step is crazy. You can’t teach that. You can develop hand-fighting, and certain other traits.

1 hour ago, RTTRUTH said:

Oweh was the guy I brought up yesterday in sort of a very nebulous comparison way

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

Oftentimes you’re right about this.

BUT…we just mentioned Rashaan Gary, who it took a couple years to put it all together. But he got there. So it’s possible.

Jerry Hughes or maybe Jonathan Greenard are other guys I can think of. 

It’s a projection. One each GM has to take the plunge on if they buy the profile and think their coaches can develop them. Some prefer “safer” prospects. I would more often than not be the latter.

But I think I like Chop. That first step is crazy. You can’t teach that. You can develop hand-fighting, and certain other traits.

I'll freely admit i vastly underestimate Gary based on what he showed on tape in school.  But i just think it's a completely opposite case from Chop where the latter on tape, is given free reign to just get after it constantly all the time.  He doesn't even really do a lot else.

Gary was such a different prospect to me.  Someone who was asked to stay home and just contain so much, we didn't really get a chance to see what he could do if let loose.  Chop is not only let loose, but he's schemed up at times even on top of that.  And still...pretty underwhelming production.  It's not like he was asked to just hold off the way Gary was.