Fields to Pittsburgh

BroncoSojia

The Bears botched this trade so badly. Im sure they couldve gotten so much more for Fields. Thats why there are greatly ran organizations and then there are poorly ran organizations. The Steelers stole Fields from the Bears. If I was running the Bears I wouldve kept Fields on the roster. Go draft Caleb Williams and then when teams get desperate at some point later in the draft, right after the draft, during camp, or at some point during the season before or on trade deadline they would be calling the Bears to offer a way better trade for Fields than a 6th round pick.

26 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Lamar Jackson

Russell Wilson

Tua 

Will Levis looked pretty good. Typical Rookie bumps, but certainly looked like he belonged out there

If your going to count Lynn for Herbert then I guess Fischer counts for Goff

First of all, the reason I hate this site is you can say something and people act like it’s something that’s either a yes or no or no in-between.

GENERALLY SPEAKING, the way to get a QB to hit is to have a great offensive staff rather than defensive staff. 

Jackson is a good one. Good example I’ll grant.

Wilson had Bevel, who has been a good QB whisperer. He’s helped turn around a lot of quarterbacks, notably Lawrence, who improved once Meyer got canned.

Jackson is the other aspect. They sat him. They didn’t rush him into it, they sat him. When they did finally start him, dude was a weapon, not a QB. In 12 games with 7 starts, he had 6 passing touchdowns. 1200 yards passing, 1200 rushing. The Ravens hardly passed. They eased him into the role the whole time.

Tua is not a good QB first of all. McDaniels has him looking like one. I literally started this conversation by saying if the QB sucks at first, you fire the head coach and replace them with an offensive coach who can maybe fix the QB. That’s… What the Dolphins did.

Will Levis is definitely fixable, and the Titans replaced a defensive guy with an offensive guy.

As far as Fisher, literally fits my thesis. Defensive guy. Wrecked Goff. McVay fixed him into leading the Rams to a Super Bowl appearance.

4 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Huh.  That's certainly an interesting wrinkle to this conversation.  But i don't buy for one slick second, that the Bears had other "better" offers on the table for Fields that they simply chose not to take to "do right by" Fields.  😆  If someone Fields didn't want to go to had offered up a 3rd round pick straight up or whatever and Fields said, "i don't want to go there, only Pittsburgh", any sane front office would tell him pound sand and trade his *** to make their own team better.

That's some bizarre spin doctoring happening, where i'm not even sure it flatters anybody in the situation.  lol.  Maybe...maybe it makes Fields look a little bit better because "he was actually worth more you see" and makes it sound like he's some sort of big deal who can "choose his landing spot".  But any beneficial luster from believing that crock, is pretty fully offset by the fact that it makes him sound like a bit of a diva who will only play for one team of his choosing.  So...not really coming out ahead there anyway.  lol.  🤷‍♀️

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

Yeah, you’re gonna lose Slowik after this coming season. I’ve commented on Stroud at length in the Jordan Love thread of the Packer sub forum. Just absolutely insane the odds he surmounted. I’ve acknowledged this before how big of an outlier he is. Stuff just does not happen. I even tagged you when I spoke about this. You must just be old as hell and can’t remember anything.

It's not that I forget anything (I only respond to mentions for points that make sense) but as any good staff does - there's a contingency plan in place once Slowik leaves, with QB Coach Jerrod Johnson (who was up for OC positions himself) slotted to assume the OC role. Pretty sure Case Keenum then takes over the role of QB Coach at that point, who will then assume OC roles once Johnson leaves, and so forth...

Even then - my point was moreso to you statement being absolute in nature. You just complained that people can't create any buffer room in the statements they make; Where exactly did you leave any room in your absolute statement on QB/HC combos?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MacReady said:

CJ Stroud is the exception.

It’s happened enough times where you might say offensive coaches>defensive coaches for a QB overall, but it’s not a nail in the coffin.

Like, if we’re talking 1-2 HOF guys that overcame that, sure, they’d be exceptions. But that’s not really the case. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Huh.  That's certainly an interesting wrinkle to this conversation.  But i don't buy for one slick second, that the Bears had other "better" offers on the table for Fields that they simply chose not to take to "do right by" Fields.  😆  If someone Fields didn't want to go to had offered up a 3rd round pick straight up or whatever and Fields said, "i don't want to go there, only Pittsburgh", any sane front office would tell him pound sand and trade his *** to make their own team better.

That's some bizarre spin doctoring happening, where i'm not even sure it flatters anybody in the situation.  lol.  Maybe...maybe it makes Fields look a little bit better because "he was actually worth more you see" and makes it sound like he's some sort of big deal who can "choose his landing spot".  But any beneficial luster from believing that crock, is pretty fully offset by the fact that it makes him sound like a bit of a diva who will only play for one team of his choosing.  So...not really coming out ahead there anyway.  lol.  🤷‍♀️

Agreed. I don't believe it. If the Bears had a significantly better offer, they'd have taken it.

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Dude you are so out of touch it's funny. First off there will be no veteran stop gap. Caleb Williams will be expected to come in right away and start.

Secondly, tho not elite, the bears OL is not bad and Caleb will have some pretty nice targets to throw to in DJ Moore, Keenan Allen, Cole Kmet, Gerald Everett and DeAndre Swift.

Thirdly the Bears new OC Shane Waldron is well respected in NFL circles.

Please tell me the last time a young QB got drafted into a situation as good as this?

Now does this automatically mean Caleb will be a star NFL QB ? No but let's not act like the Bears haven't set him up well enough to succeed in year 1. If he can't manage to at least perform somewhat well then a lot of that will be on him 

The Bears do have good weapons. And Caleb is a huuuuuuge talent. The OL is a big question mark, as is the coaching staff.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Agreed. I don't believe it. If the Bears had a significantly better offer, they'd have taken it.

The Bears do have good weapons. And Caleb is a huuuuuuge talent. The OL is a big question mark, as is the coaching staff.

The Bears offensive line is better than people give it credit for.  Center was a disaster, but outside of that, they have a great second year RT in Darnell Wright, a better than average LT that the coaching staff seems to love in Braxton Jones, and a great when healthy LG in Tevin Jenkins.  Nate Davis is serviceable at best at RG, but is not catastrophe like center was.  One thing I have to give Ryan Poles credit for this offseason so far is that he has really done a lot to try and build depth on the OL, I also imagine they target a starting caliber center in the draft or maybe they grab Connor Williams.  The offensive line statistically looked worse than it actually was because Justin Fields held on to the ball so dang long.  I can't recall the exact number, but he was sacked more than most QBs, but also had a longer average time until sack than almost everyone in the league.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It's not that I forget anything (I only respond to mentions for points that make sense) but as any good staff does - there's a contingency plan in place once Slowik leaves, with QB Coach Jerrod Johnson (who was up for OC positions himself) slotted to assume the OC role. Pretty sure Case Keenum then takes over the role of QB Coach at that point, who will then assume OC roles once Johnson leaves, and so forth...

Even then - my point was moreso to you statement being absolute in nature. You just complained that people can't create any buffer room in the statements they make; Where exactly did you leave any room in your absolute statement on QB/HC combos?

Same place I left room for Blade Runner actually being a good movie when I call it boring, pretentious, worthless drivel. It’s the internet.

You can’t do something is the same as it’s really hard to do something.

I don’t struggle with this in real life because you can sense the hyperbole in my voice. I write exactly how I speak, I just can’t convey tone.

2 hours ago, Geezy said:

I don’t get what the rush was for Fields. They sold at his absolute low. No way they couldn’t get more during the draft when teams miss out on QBs 

What teams? Given what's transpired in FA thus far and what us expected in Chicago,  Washington and NE picking top 3. 

Who exactly did you see the Bears trading Fields too? Everything dried up. All the potentially starting gigs, gone, nothing but backup jobs.

If Minnesota wanted Fields they would of traded for him. They clearly didn't post Cousins.

So who?

7 hours ago, MacReady said:

Teams with an offensive minded HEAD coach that didn’t get the job from being a title holder with a great coach/QB combo turn their QB into a franchise QB.

Teams with defensive minded head coaches who get a QB turn their QB into a bust.

5 hours ago, MacReady said:

GENERALLY SPEAKING, the way to get a QB to hit is to have a great offensive staff rather than defensive staff. 

You are moving the goal post here though as you did with some of your rebuttals. You go from Head Coach to now talking staff. There is no reason a defensive minded HC can't still have a really good to great offensive staff. If your statement was a bad offensive staff ruins a QB then no one would have questioned you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mse326 said:

You are moving the goal post here though as you did with some of your rebuttals. You go from Head Coach to now talking staff. There is no reason a defensive minded HC can't still have a really good to great offensive staff. If your statement was a bad offensive staff ruins a QB then no one would have questioned you.

No, like I said. The head coach was the hyperbole, having an offensive coordinator like a Bevell who is good working with young coaches is the reality.

Either way, if you want to stick with my absolutes, the absolutes are right more often than not so either way I’m closer to being right than wrong on this one. Your issue is just the absolute aspect of it.

Want proof? Answer the following question honestly.

If your team needs a franchise QB and a head coach and you’ve got a top 5 pick. Would you rather hire an offensive minded head coach or a defensive head coach? You don’t get any other qualifiers. You don’t get to assume you’ll have a good offensive coordinator. You don’t get to assume your coach will sit the QB for a year. You don’t get to assume the QB is a good one or a bad one.

You’d pick the offensive guy.

I’m not stupid. I can see there are exceptions and limitations to this. Both ways. Bryce Young had Frank Reich and he sucked.

Still, the vast majority of quarterbacks that hit are the ones who go to the best and brightest offensive minds.

It’s really not worth the keystrokes to debate the issue, and the only issue is you’re Obi-Wanning and I’m Anakinning.