Packers D Coordinator Watch

Packerraymond

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I never said it was a bad thing, I would just like to keep every good coach/FO person we have in GB, doing the job they do well. It's a bummer when good people leave your organization.

I understand that, but if the new DC is good enough to get HC consideration, then that likely means a successful few years for GB.  That DC also has some position coaches on his staff that might be able to step into the DC role.  

2 hours ago, cannondale said:

Some here don't like him (I think he's better than most), but here is his article on potential replacements FWIW

http://packersnotes.com/2017/12/potential-replacements-for-dom/

I think Fangio is my top choice, but Marvin Lewis would be a strong hire.  He's a quality football man .. might bring the pipe hitter out in some of our guys.  Gregg Williams is a ****, but he also gets his guys to play tough and nasty.

On 12/17/2017 at 9:09 PM, Siman08/OH said:

And not to double post but the final nail in the coffin should be the fact that DBs we’ve let walk have flourished elsewhere after playing average or below average here. 

Thats on coaching right?

Actually, that's a schematic thing more than anything. Casey Hayward was stellar his rookie year and Hyde played pretty well. They just looked bad over time simply because opposing offenses figured out our defense rather easily. I too have been calling for Dom's head since 2012 as well. We've essentially blown 5 drafts to "get Dom his guys" and very few have panned out over the long term.

I've posted this before and I'll beat the drum again: go back to a 4-3. Perry can play DE either out of a 3-point stance or standing up, Daniels can shed a little weight and be more effective inside next to Clark and move Lowry to strong-side DE where he can use his size and length to draw double teams to open up the B gap. CMIII, Biegel, Fackrell, and even Brooks can rush very effectively as a SAM backers.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

Actually, that's a schematic thing more than anything. Casey Hayward was stellar his rookie year and Hyde played pretty well. They just looked bad over time simply because opposing offenses figured out our defense rather easily. I too have been calling for Dom's head since 2012 as well. We've essentially blown 5 drafts to "get Dom his guys" and very few have panned out over the long term.

I've posted this before and I'll beat the drum again: go back to a 4-3. Perry can play DE either out of a 3-point stance or standing up, Daniels can shed a little weight and be more effective inside next to Clark and move Lowry to strong-side DE where he can use his size and length to draw double teams to open up the B gap. CMIII, Biegel, Fackrell, and even Brooks can rush very effectively as a SAM backers.

I agree about Hyde and Hayward .. it's not a good look when you let guys leave only to see them become better players in different schemes.  It's not like either player suddenly figured out how to play the game .. it's because they are in a scheme that better utilizes their talents.  Lets just dump this Capers defense already and see how some of our current talent performs.  We need a less rigid scheme that lets players play.  Too much thinking going on out there.

Just now, incognito_man said:

If we liked an internal guy and MM was gonna fire DC this week would have been the time to do it.

So either he's coming back or he will retire.

We were still in the playoff hunt until the Falcons won on Monday, so we wouldn't have fired him until we were officially eliminated.  It would have been too late on Tuesday.

And if we don't like any of our internal guys, Capers wouldn't get fired now.

You can be doubtful that Capers is going to leave, but don't give more logic for why he won't because I can't take it. 

On 12/19/2017 at 8:59 AM, spilltray said:

I don't want to hire a former HC. Just please no. DC is the job they can get, not the job they want.

I would love to see someone like Aranda or Leonhard. When the Packers hired, Capers, I know I had mentioned liking Sean McDermott who was an assistant coach with Philly at the time and they made him DC. That's the kind of hire I want to see.

Seems like anyone coming into GB and turning the defense around would become a hot name for HC openings.  I'm not sure that an up and comer would be any more likely to remain in GB than a former HC.  I really don't care who it is, I just want someone who can get it done.

6 hours ago, Joe said:

Why does everyone think that switching defensive schemes is going to magically solve our defensive issues?  You only change schemes for one of two reasons.  Either your personnel doesn't fit in your current defense OR you think finding pieces in the other defense will be easily.  The former seems to be overplayed, as only Mike Daniels and Nick Perry are the only two players who are more natural fits in a 43 defense and even then I'm not sure it's as big as some are making it out to be.  We're already hearing people complaining about the inconsistent pass rush from Dean Lowry as a 5T, how much do you think that's going to change as a SDE?  Kenny Clark's value probably actually goes down in a 43 defense if we're being honest.  Clay Matthews may have his issues, but he's not going to magically become this great SAM LB who becomes the second coming of Von Miller.  It's not going to happen.  LIS, it goes back to one of two reasons.  The first one is being overstated, and the second one is debatable.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Seems like anyone coming into GB and turning the defense around would become a hot name for HC openings.  I'm not sure that an up and comer would be any more likely to remain in GB than a former HC.  I really don't care who it is, I just want someone who can get it done.

It has absolutely nothing to do with that. None of those retreads are going to be great. Most of the time not even as good as their previous success. I want someone focused on maximizing what they have here not trying to run what has worked for them in the past. I want fresh ideas, not recycled. I want someone passionate about being great here, not settling for what they can get.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:52 AM, Haha21 said:

I personally hope we look outside the organization for a DC rather than promote from within. Lots of options out there.

I'm thinking the same thing. Some players would be hearing the same messages from the same voice. I want new attitude and ideas brought in. 

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:59 AM, spilltray said:

I don't want to hire a former HC. Just please no. DC is the job they can get, not the job they want. Also, hard pass on both Ryan brothers. They aren't worth the headache.

Promotion from within, doesn't work either. The DBs blowing coverages wide open is one of the key problems so that eliminates both db coaches and I don't get the love of Moss. Until Martinez this year, the ILB have been just "ok". Trg is the only assistant I really want to keep.

I would love to see someone like Aranda or Leonhard. When the Packers hired, Capers, I know I had mentioned liking Sean McDermott who was an assistant coach with Philly at the time and they made him DC. That's the kind of hire I want to see.

I was thinking the same thing about getting a younger guy with a fire in his belly. I'm not sure Leonard has enough experience yet, but what do I know. 

On 12/19/2017 at 10:52 AM, Haha21 said:

I personally hope we look outside the organization for a DC rather than promote from within. Lots of options out there.

I don't really have any issues with this train of thought, but I think if you're going to get behind this you need to come to the reality that a new DC is likely going to want to bring in their own guys, which means guys like Joe Whitt, Mike Trgovac, etc. are going to be looking for jobs elsewhere.  Is that something you're willing to live with?

Archived