Bills trade WR Stefon Diggs (plus 2024 6th & 2025 5th) to Texans for 2025 2nd

The Gnat

6 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

so uh - who do the Josh Allen have left to throw to exactly? Curtis Samuel doesn't seem like enough, even adding a high draft selection...

I’d hope their first round tight end pick from last year progresses into a premier target 

Just now, Mox said:

Pre-Brady: 10.2 targets/game

Post-Brady: 8.3 targets/game

Not that big of a drop. Diggs simply played worse despite the team getting better.

Pre-Brady: 7.3 rec/gm 86.8 ypg 0.7 TD/gm 71.6% rec%

Post-Brady: 4.9 rec/gm 43.1 ypg 0.1 TD/gm 58.7% rec%

Not a huge drop, no. But that 20% drop is the difference between being third in the league in targets vs being 12th. 8.3/game would be his lowest since being a Bill. Might not seem like a lot, but another 22 catches/250 or so yards on your season is significant IMO.

New OC that brought in a new offensive focus (for the better) - are we going to assume that Diggs started to decline, right there in that moment? Or that he wasn’t fitting in to the new offense/became discontent with it? 

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

What about Knox - he washed or something?

I don’t think so. I like him more than mosh Bills fans I think.

But he’s probably a 35-50 catch guy at best unless they dive fully into 12 personnel. He may develop back into the redzone threat he was at the end of 2022

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Good trade for the Bills. He looked on the decline. Deep group of WRs in this class. 

What's with the 2025 compensation on these trades recently with the 2024 draft around the corner. Couldn't get a pick to help this year?

This draft looks more like quality over quantity. Might as well aim for 2025.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

But he’s probably a 35-50 catch guy at best unless they dive fully into 12 personnel. He may develop back into the redzone threat he was at the end of 2022

Interested to see how this works out, in any case.

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

Knox has to prove him self outside of the 10 yard line to me. If it isn’t in the endzone he stone hands.

At least he’s good where it counts most though!

Diggs is still a top receiver in the league. It took him some time to shine in the NFL, but that was due to poor or conservative QB play. It wasn't until Kirk Cousins that Diggs found his groove and it wasn't until he reached Buffalo where he exploded.

Diggs finds himself again in a good position. Even if he is slowing down, he'll open up things for Nico Collins and Tank Dell. 

I wonder now, who really won the Diggs trade from Minnesota to Buffalo? Is it still a win-win?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Is it just me or are there an unusual number of pre-draft trades this year where the compensation is mostly in a draft that's going to happen >1 year from now?

I think there's been more, I don't want to pay this guy, trades than usual. And you tend to have less leverage in those scenarios, so lesser and later draft capital being sent in return.

3 minutes ago, Soko said:

Not a huge drop, no. But that 20% drop is the difference between being third in the league in targets vs being 12th. 8.3/game would be his lowest since being a Bill. Might not seem like a lot, but another 22 catches/250 or so yards on your season is significant IMO.

New OC that brought in a new offensive focus (for the better) - are we going to assume that Diggs started to decline, right there in that moment? Or that he wasn’t fitting in to the new offense/became discontent with it? 

That's the difference between 3rd and 10th in the league in targets. The fact that was still getting top 10 targets while producing like a top 50 WR seems generous. The way he was playing, he wasn't going to touch another 22/250 with those targets anyway.

That doesn't track though. After his hot start he'd gone 4 straight games under 90 yards prior to Brady's arrival. He had 34 yards the game before Brady showed up, he was already trending down.

• Like 1