Bills trade WR Stefon Diggs (plus 2024 6th & 2025 5th) to Texans for 2025 2nd

The Gnat

The fact that they traded him for a future 2nd and ate 30mil in dead cap just to move him should tell you everything you know about his odds of staying in Buffalo this year. They wanted him gone.

I do think this is a good move from the Texans though. They have talent and a potential star QB. Surround him with everything now and see what he can become.... Just gotta pray he doesn't become a headache again.

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The fact that they traded him for a future 2nd and ate 30mil in dead cap just to move him should tell you everything you know about his odds of staying in Buffalo this year. They wanted him gone.

I do think this is a good move from the Texans though. They have talent and a potential star QB. Surround him with everything now and see what he can become.... Just gotta pray he doesn't become a headache again.

Stroud is already a star QB imo.

Diggs will become a headache again eventually. 

I get Texans wanting to push the chips in but I don't care for this for them very much. Imo they are building something special and if they hit this draft they don't need a Diggs to come in with his "huffyness (that a word?)". Seems like one of their young ascending WRs are going to get stunted also.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

How far back are you going? Weeks 1-5 was 9.4, weeks 6-17 is 8.5 based on last season (I'm not factoring in years where Ken Dorsey was the OC).

Bit confused here. Diggs’ average targets were 10 in Weeks 1-5 of 2023. Total season average was 9.4. My numbers above were only looking at last season, comparing before Dorsey got fired (Weeks 1-10) to after Brady took over (Weeks 11-17). 

14 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

The decline in production started after the Giants game in which Dorsey was still OC for 4 more games.

Diggs had 8 or more targets in 5/7 games Brady was OC with the other game being 7 and the one that was lowest (5) Buffalo ran all over Dallas and attempted like 15 passes in the rain.

Diggs may have felt Buffalo window was closed but he very much is apart of the reason with how he disappeared in crucial games and dropped A dime from Allen against the Chiefs that changes the ending of that game. 

I mean, it was a decline because his production prior to that was mostly 8 catch, 100 yard games. Diggs’ average targets and yards were still higher in that four game stretch between Giants-Cincy (with Dorsey) than they were after Brady. 

8 targets may seem fine, but that’s the difference between being top 3 in targets for a season vs being 12th.  He was averaging 10+ before then, which he only hit twice (11 and 11) after Dorsey was fired. 

I’m not trying to take away from the (likely true) theory that Diggs became a malcontent and a problem overall for Buffalo, I wholeheartedly believe that to be the case. But statistically his yards/catch, targets, catch%, passer rating when targeted, all went down after Joe Brady was the OC. Not just the bulk targets but the efficiency too. I don’t think that we can chalk that up completely to Diggs’ attitude/effort, not when there’s such an obvious turning point. Buffalo’s focus became James Cook, and rightly so tbh.

16 minutes ago, Soko said:

I mean, he saw less targets game to game after Brady took over, averaging less after Joe Brady. Diggs also had five 100+ yard games, five games with 8+ catches, and games with 8+ targets pre-Brady. Those drop to zero 100+ yard games (and only two over even 50), zero games with 8+ catches, and two games with 10+ targets. 

There could be other factors in there, but all of that happening post-Brady + the obvious focus on the run game, certainly isn’t a nothing burger in terms of where he fit with that offense.

Pre-Brady: 10.2 targets/game

Post-Brady: 8.3 targets/game

Not that big of a drop. Diggs simply played worse despite the team getting better.

Pre-Brady: 7.3 rec/gm 86.8 ypg 0.7 TD/gm 71.6% rec%

Post-Brady: 4.9 rec/gm 43.1 ypg 0.1 TD/gm 58.7% rec%