Bills trade WR Stefon Diggs (plus 2024 6th & 2025 5th) to Texans for 2025 2nd

The Gnat

2 minutes ago, Soko said:

1 to the doubt on Diggs being a washed WR. There’s been pretty consistent rumblings that he’s wanted out of Buffalo, and given his attitude + phasing out in the Brady offense, doesn’t really surprise me his stats were down last year. And even then, that’s a 100-1200-8 guy. “Washed” is way too strong a word.

Defined phased out - because his target share really didn't go down. 

4 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Thanks for clarifying.  

With that said. If the Texans plan is to have him heavily involved and somewhere near 120-130 targets I absolutely expect Diggs to put up similar numbers he has.

This just appears to be a case of one team taking their medicine and doing something a year early as opposed to too late and the other team giving their young QB another weapon to make a run at a championship 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Addition by subtraction, I get it. Still a big loss.

I honestly think it's a lose/lose. Unless the Texans get a younger and less discontent Diggs, this could cause a rift in a fragile and young organization.

This is assuming he's motivated. Stefon Diggs and discontent seem to go hand in hand, even after getting paid.

I believe, again just my opinion, that Buffalo started getting further and further away from winning a SB. Stefon doesn't want to be a bridesmaid anymore. He wants a ring and has always been motivated by that.  Houston is a young team, with a young up and coming HC and an very promising young OC. The addition of Diggs might be what is needed to put them in SB consideration. 

Also, this is essentially a 1-year rental as his contract isn't guaranteed next year as far as I can tell. 

Edited by Slappy Mc

3 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I don’t know what Bills fans are saying that but they’re wrong lol.

Diggs was still involved and saw his targets but he didn’t finish them. The GDT threads are filled with us complaining about his drops in timely situations. The playoff game against KC was the worst.

Shakir saw less targets and did more. The emergence of a run game and Kincaid maybe made the illusion that Diggs wasn’t involved but there’s nothing to back that up IMO

I mean, he saw less targets game to game after Brady took over, averaging less after Joe Brady. Diggs also had five 100+ yard games, five games with 8+ catches, and games with 8+ targets pre-Brady. Those drop to zero 100+ yard games (and only two over even 50), zero games with 8+ catches, and two games with 10+ targets. 

There could be other factors in there, but all of that happening post-Brady + the obvious focus on the run game, certainly isn’t a nothing burger in terms of where he fit with that offense.

13 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Do you have any specifics? I get things were rocky between him and Allen, but to take on a 30M dead cap hit is wild. 

At least once a month it seemed he would send cryptic tweets and then call the media or people who questioned it stupid in a round about way. Constant antics, just wore us all out.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Soko said:

+1 to the doubt on Diggs being a washed WR. There’s been pretty consistent rumblings that he’s wanted out of Buffalo, and given his attitude + phasing out in the Brady offense, doesn’t really surprise me his stats were down last year. And even then, that’s a 100-1200-8 guy. “Washed” is way too strong a word. 

He's at an age where if his play craters, it shouldn't surprise anyone in the least. But he also very clearly wanted out of there for whatever reason. So wouldn't surprise me if he's revived a bit by moving on. 

Also, playing receiver late in the season in Buffalo can be a bit tricky. 

I mean, he saw less targets game to game after Brady took over, averaging less after Joe Brady. Diggs also had five 100+ yard games, five games with 8+ catches, and games with 8+ targets pre-Brady. Those drop to zero 100+ yard games (and only two over even 50), zero games with 8+ catches, and two games with 10+ targets. 

There could be other factors in there, but all of that happening post-Brady + the obvious focus on the run game, certainly isn’t a nothing burger in terms of where he fit with that offense.

The decline in production started after the Giants game in which Dorsey was still OC for 4 more games.

Diggs had 8 or more targets in 5/7 games Brady was OC with the other game being 7 and the one that was lowest (5) Buffalo ran all over Dallas and attempted like 15 passes in the rain.

Diggs may have felt Buffalo window was closed but he very much is apart of the reason with how he disappeared in crucial games and dropped A dime from Allen against the Chiefs that changes the ending of that game. 

5 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I believe, again just my opinion, that Buffalo started getting further and further away from winning a SB. Stefon doesn't want to be a bridesmaid anymore. He wants a ring and has always been motivated by that.  Houston is a young team, with a young up and coming HC and an very promising young OC. The addition of Diggs might be what is needed to put them in SB consideration. 

Also, this is essentially a 1-year rental as his contract isn't guaranteed next year as far as I can tell. 

Maybe catch a fooking ball on a bomb from Allen that could’ve helped beat the eventual champs. 

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Defined phased out - because his target share really didn't go down. 

They did go down. 

Before: 13, 7, 12, 7, 11, 16, 12, 12, 7, 5. Average of 10.2/game. 

After: 8, 11, 11, 5, 8, 7, 8. Average of 8.3/game. 

Maybe 2 targets per game isn’t a ton, but that’s a -20% loss of target share, and is the difference between being targeted 173 times in a season (which would be Diggs’ highest in his Buffalo tenure -  166, 164, 154 and good for third in the league) vs 141 times (which would be his lowest as a Bill, good for 12th in the league).  

1 minute ago, Soko said:

Before: 13, 7, 12, 7, 11, 16, 12, 12, 7, 5. Average of 10.2/game. 

After: 8, 11, 11, 5, 8, 7, 8. Average of 8.3/game. 

How far back are you going? Weeks 1-5 was 9.4, weeks 6-17 is 8.5 based on last season (I'm not factoring in years where Ken Dorsey was the OC).